The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Softball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Sun May 31, 2009, 01:19pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via ICQ to shipwreck
washington/Georgia

Ok another on talking heads cluelessness. Talking about a ball that hits the chalk past the homerun fence. It was called a foul ball. The dingy announcers said since it hit the line it should be a home run. How about trying to figure out where it was when it crossed the fence? So I guess by their reasoning, you call it a strike or ball depending on where the catcher catches the ball, huh? Dave
Old Sun May 31, 2009, 09:30pm
Official Forum Member

Cool pitching lane

What about this second game re-match pitching lane fiasco? What is the NCAA doing? It's a distraction to the game. It needs to be addressed.
Old Sun May 31, 2009, 09:50pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Daddy Bear View Post
What about this second game re-match pitching lane fiasco? What is the NCAA doing? It's a distraction to the game. It needs to be addressed.
You are aware that the rule is not new, is not only in NCAA and they have been using the pitching lane in games since last September, right?
Old Sun May 31, 2009, 10:12pm
Official Forum Member

Cool

Quote:
Originally Posted by IRISHMAFIA View Post
You are aware that the rule is not new, is not only in NCAA and they have been using the pitching lane in games since last September, right?
Yes. Only the chalked lane lines are new. What's the umpire's problem? If you do not come straight forward like the rule states, and your foot totally over the outside of the line, then call it. If you can't see the lines, re-chalked them. Why make everything so controversial? Play the game! The umps are there to enforce the rules to keep it fair.
Old Sun May 31, 2009, 10:31pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Yes. Only the chalked lane lines are new. What's the umpire's problem? If you do not come straight forward like the rule states, and your foot totally over the outside of the line, then call it. If you can't see the lines, re-chalked them. Why make everything so controversial? Play the game! The umps are there to enforce the rules to keep it fair.
Then feel free to share your solution on how an umpire is supposed to see that from their positions without sacrificing their present responsibilities.
Old Sun May 31, 2009, 10:38pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Then feel free to share your solution on how an umpire is supposed to see that from their positions without sacrificing their present responsibilities.
Thats why I asked if you thought they needed another umpire out there. Remember?
Old Sun May 31, 2009, 11:10pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Thats why I asked if you thought they needed another umpire out there. Remember?
Well, not really, or not as I read it below:

Are the umpires upset with the lined pitching lanes? Do they really want another umpire on the field?

You asked if someone wanted another umpire out there. I don't know why any crew would mind working a 4-umpire game. But even with another umpire, they are still 50-55' away, still possibly have a runner at 2B. It is going to be an educated guess at best and will still be difficult with the blurred lines.
Old Sun May 31, 2009, 11:35pm
Official Forum Member

I have an easy solution.

GET RID OF THE LINES.
Old Mon Jun 01, 2009, 12:56am
Official Forum Member

Blind sight is 20/20 ??
Old Mon Jun 01, 2009, 04:58am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
(snip)If you can't see the lines, re-chalked them.
(snip)
Like we do the batter's box....
Old Mon Jun 01, 2009, 06:30am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by bkbjones View Post
I have an easy solution.

GET RID OF THE LINES.
But then the pitcher wouldn't have anything on the ground to get them into the habit of pitching legally.

I have a better idea. The coaches know damn well when their pitcher is illegal. If they don't, they shouldn't be the coach.

During season, have umpires who believe it is an issue report a pitcher/team to local conference. At the direction of the conference, have game footage filmed (which may already happen at the higher levels) and submitted for evaluation.

Where a pitcher is questionable, the coach is informed that their pitcher is suspect. If the team reaches the playoffs and the pitcher is deemed illegal, fine the coach and school $20K and remove the pitcher from the team.

Yeah, a pipedream and a ****load of bureaucracy, but the only thing these people fear is the loss of cash and eligibility.

Last edited by IRISHMAFIA; Mon Jun 01, 2009 at 06:45am.
Old Mon Jun 01, 2009, 08:11am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
But then the pitcher wouldn't have anything on the ground to get them into the habit of pitching legally.

I have a better idea. The coaches know damn well when their pitcher is illegal. If they don't, they shouldn't be the coach.

During season, have umpires who believe it is an issue report a pitcher/team to local conference. At the direction of the conference, have game footage filmed (which may already happen at the higher levels) and submitted for evaluation.

Where a pitcher is questionable, the coach is informed that their pitcher is suspect. If the team reaches the playoffs and the pitcher is deemed illegal, fine the coach and school $20K and remove the pitcher from the team.

Yeah, a pipedream and a ****load of bureaucracy, but the only thing these people fear is the loss of cash and eligibility.

why do all of that? why not just call it all year so when they get to the WCWS she knows how to correct for it. pitchers are taught to go as illegal as possible until they get banged for it then move back. just like they do when they throw at a corner and walk the pitch out until we call it a ball. the problem is people dont bang the illegal pitches early and often they wait to long and then dont call it at all hence why a lot of these illegal pitches are "controversial" and as I am sure you know that lane was put as an effect for one person who doesnt even play anymore in the NCAA

For all those who don't know ... Ed Hickox is the MAN

NFHS NCAA PONY ASA ISC USSSA
Old Mon Jun 01, 2009, 08:56am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by kcg NC2Ablu View Post
why do all of that? why not just call it all year so when they get to the WCWS she knows how to correct for it. pitchers are taught to go as illegal as possible until they get banged for it then move back. just like they do when they throw at a corner and walk the pitch out until we call it a ball. the problem is people dont bang the illegal pitches early and often they wait to long and then dont call it at all hence why a lot of these illegal pitches are "controversial" and as I am sure you know that lane was put as an effect for one person who doesnt even play anymore in the NCAA
The whole point of the lane argument, though, is this; it hasn't changed the PU's ability to see whether or not the pitcher is violating the 24" lane rule because of the primary focus of the PU. Are you going to guess an IP? Or are you going to abandon your primary focus to watch the feet of the pitcher instead? Or, are you going to just enforce it the way you have all along?

It's a small world, but I wouldn't want to have to paint it.
Old Mon Jun 01, 2009, 10:16am
Official Forum Member

I believe this sentence:

Quote:
Originally Posted by kcg NC2Ablu
the problem is people dont bang the illegal pitches early and often they wait to long and then dont call it at all hence why a lot of these illegal pitches are "controversial"
answers this question:

Quote:
Originally Posted by kcg NC2Ablu
why do all of that? why not just call it all year so when they get to the WCWS she knows how to correct for it.
Whether we like it or not, the coaches in a conference DO have a say in who is acceptable to work their games and if the assignor wants to keep making the $$ which goes with a very difficult job, s/he will do as much to accommodate a team/conference as the umpire. And that is okay, it is their job.

I'm not badmouthing or accusing anyone here. It is what it is and it is not likely to change anytime soon.
Old Mon Jun 01, 2009, 11:28am
Official Forum Member

I have got to believe that everyone who played Georgia has either sent tape to conference directors, assigners, SUIP etc. of Hamiltons delivery. The crews probably reviewed tape of this before the WCWS.

From watching the WCWS the coaches have questioned the umpires on this and she has been called for several IP's. The umpires answer is that they are watching but also need to watch the pitch and if it is clear, then they will make the call. They made the call from HP and BU's when it was clear and on several pitches, even when they were rotated, they did not make a call when it looked like she was out of the lane. But it is tough to see every time.

They interviewed Hamilton and she said she has worked hard to stay legal

Again to fix the edge the pitchers get by just having the tip of the toe touching the pitchers lane lines to be legal is to put another change in the rule to make it an easier call for the umpires and to reign in the pitchers.

This will be up to the coaches to make that change.

Any suggestions on a rule change?