The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Softball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Thu May 21, 2009, 10:55pm
Official Forum Member

When does the play stop?

10U Wreck Ball, ASA rules.

Bases loaded, batter hits a swinging bunt, which F2 fields and tags R1 coming from 3rd for an out. F2 then positions herself about a quarter of the way up the 3rd base line as R2 has rounded 3rd and moved about a quarter of the way down the line and stopped. R2 and F2, just stare at each other, 5 seconds goes by, 10 seconds, 15 seconds, 20 seconds, etc.

When does the play end?
Old Thu May 21, 2009, 11:22pm
Official Forum Member

Just watch the play.. Coaches and parents will be yelling and they'll do something. Hovering UFO scenario IMO.
Old Thu May 21, 2009, 11:26pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by GaryBarrentine View Post

Bases loaded, batter hits a swinging bunt, which F2 fields and tags R1 coming from 3rd for an out. F2 then positions herself about a quarter of the way up the 3rd base line as R2 has rounded 3rd and moved about a quarter of the way down the line and stopped. R2 and F2, just stare at each other, 5 seconds goes by, 10 seconds, 15 seconds, 20 seconds, etc.

When does the play end?
When you, the umpire, says it does. Personally, if I see a stand-off, I'll give them 3-5 seconds to proceed in some manner, then I will kill the play. And before someone says something, yes, in FP, too.
Old Fri May 22, 2009, 06:28pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by garybarrentine View Post
swinging bunt
huh?????
Old Fri May 22, 2009, 09:28pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dholloway1962 View Post
huh?????
Maybe a drag bunt?

I haven't decided if I should call it from the dugout or the outfield. Apparently, both have really great views!

Screw green, it ain't easy being blue!

I won't be coming here that much anymore. I might check in now and again.
Old Sat May 23, 2009, 12:16pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to argodad
Quote:
Originally Posted by NCASAUmp View Post
Maybe a drag bunt?
No. Probably a full swing with very little contact -- that's what we always called a "swinging bunt."
Old Sat May 23, 2009, 03:19pm
Ref Ump Welsch

Quote:
Originally Posted by argodad View Post
No. Probably a full swing with very little contact -- that's what we always called a "swinging bunt."
Do you mean to describe how it looks when an 80-year old grannie is chasing the burglar out of her apartment with a bat?
Old Sat May 23, 2009, 07:09pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ref Ump Welsch View Post
Do you mean to describe how it looks when an 80-year old grannie is chasing the burglar out of her apartment with a bat?
You mean this granny?

I haven't decided if I should call it from the dugout or the outfield. Apparently, both have really great views!

Screw green, it ain't easy being blue!

I won't be coming here that much anymore. I might check in now and again.
Old Tue May 26, 2009, 12:54am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by IRISHMAFIA View Post
When you, the umpire, says it does. Personally, if I see a stand-off, I'll give them 3-5 seconds to proceed in some manner, then I will kill the play. And before someone says something, yes, in FP, too.
I agree, I start my pre game at that level (excluding championship play) that "we are here to teach the girls and to have fun" sportsman ship! sportsman ship!! Now this I know may not be viewed upon as the correct by the book thing to do.. But as stated before all the coaches at that level of play in our league know me and my stand on sportsmanship....etc.. Some can argue that is wrong, and I respect thier opinion. I just think there are times we have to employ game management skills at the lower levels, that just are not spoke of at clinics etc...etc... Others thoughts greatly Valued.
Old Tue May 26, 2009, 09:00am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by 4 Corners Blue View Post
I agree, I start my pre game at that level (excluding championship play) that "we are here to teach the girls and to have fun" sportsman ship! sportsman ship!! Now this I know may not be viewed upon as the correct by the book thing to do.. But as stated before all the coaches at that level of play in our league know me and my stand on sportsmanship....etc.. Some can argue that is wrong, and I respect thier opinion. I just think there are times we have to employ game management skills at the lower levels, that just are not spoke of at clinics etc...etc... Others thoughts greatly Valued.
Do you also use that spiel about "if you don't agree with a call, you can ask for time, wait until it is called, and then approach the umpire who made the call. If we feel as though there is anything we might have missed, we will get together and discuss the call," in your pregame???

It's a small world, but I wouldn't want to have to paint it.

Last edited by Skahtboi; Tue May 26, 2009 at 09:05am.
Old Tue May 26, 2009, 10:53am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by GaryBarrentine View Post

When does the play end?
The play ends (in FP) when the ball is in the control of the pitcher in the circle and the baserunners have stopped on a base. The play could also end if the ball is in the control of the pitcher in the circle and a LBR violation is called.

In your case, the play is not over yet...I agree with Wade. With all the parents and coaches yelling, something will happen eventually. Just wait...if your game is on a time limit, so much the better....