The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Tue Dec 14, 2004, 10:13am
Official Forum Member

If a kids shoe comes off, and the opponents get the ball, should you stop the game? The team was not in the middle of a fast break, but they were starting to push the ball. Now if it is their ball, I say yes, but if the opponents have the ball, I say no.

Revision; the ball was stolen by the defense on this play so the ball never became dead. The team started to push the ball up the floor to score, but it was blown dead for the shoe.

This was a varsity game between two top 10 rated teams.

[Edited by MJT on Dec 14th, 2004 at 10:39 AM]
Old Tue Dec 14, 2004, 10:19am
Official Forum Member

fine with me. what's the age group?
while giving the kid "the look", now tie the darn thing up!

Can somebody please tell me how I can edit my signature line?
Old Tue Dec 14, 2004, 10:21am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by MJT
If a kids shoe comes off, and the opponents get the ball, should you stop the game? The team was not in the middle of a fast break, but they were starting to push the ball. Now if it is their ball, I say yes, but if the opponents have the ball, I say no.
Use your judgement.If a basket is scored blow the whislte and let him/her get their shoe back on. Same holds true if opponents are walking ball up the court. If opponents have a good scoring opportunity hold the whistle. IMO just use common sense.
Old Tue Dec 14, 2004, 10:23am
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to Dan_ref
I'll delay putting the ball in play to let a player tie or put his shoe on.

When the ball's live it's his problem, not mine.

Chris on the upper right hand side of the screen under the ads you'll see an icon that says "profile"

Click that and edit away.

Old Tue Dec 14, 2004, 10:32am
Official Forum Member

How's this for an answer...Depends. I think your guideline is good.

Had one occassion where the player stayed behind and was putting the shoe back on. I set up in a manner where I could catch him in my peripheral vision so he wouldn't "surprise" me when he re-entered play. He was back in action before his team regained possession. If his team had started back at him before he was ready I was prepared to stop play.

I also had a girl lose her shoe. Other team goes into a set offense when the get into their front court. Her attempt to quickly put her shoe back on failed so she tossed it to the bench and started up court...Tweet. "Coach, I need a sub for 12."

When she sat on the bench I heard the coach say "You always lose a shoe. Now tie the stupid things where they will stay on or I'm gonna make you wear bow-biters." I almost spit my whistle out trying not to laugh.
Old Tue Dec 14, 2004, 12:14pm
Official Forum Member

I revised the starting thread after a question or two and to clarify the play, so please re-read it if you have already posted.
Considering it is a varsity game, the team is pushing the ball to get a score, and the ball never became dead, I think you should not stop play. If the ball is dead or the team with the shoe problem has the ball I think you should stop play, but in this case it is like an injured player, which unless the injury looks very serious, you should not stop an opponents push up the floor.
Old Tue Dec 14, 2004, 01:37pm
M.A.S.H.

Just depends. Last night I was doing a 7/8th boys game and it was a blow out. As Team A was going back on defense, a kids glasses came off and hit the floor. I blew I whistle and let him get his glasses before someone crushed them.
Old Tue Dec 14, 2004, 02:32pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by tjones1
Just depends. Last night I was doing a 7/8th boys game and it was a blow out. As Team A was going back on defense, a kids glasses came off and hit the floor. I blew I whistle and let him get his glasses before someone crushed them.
Although you may choose to follow the same procedure for a shoe, glasses and contacts are specifically covered in the rules. Shoes are not.
Old Tue Dec 14, 2004, 02:39pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by Back In The Saddle
Quote:
Originally posted by tjones1
Although you may choose to follow the same procedure for a shoe, glasses and contacts are specifically covered in the rules. Shoes are not.
If I remember correctly, the rule book only says not to charge a team with a time-out to correct a glasses problem. It doesn't tell you when (or if) to stop play if glasses should come off during play.

Z
Old Tue Dec 14, 2004, 02:56pm
Official Forum Member

No whistle to put a shoe back on UNLESS the shoe presents a danger to the other players.
Old Tue Dec 14, 2004, 03:05pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by blindzebra
No whistle to put a shoe back on UNLESS the shoe presents a danger to the other players.
What a difference in opinion!!! I always whistle for shoe-coming-offness, unless a team is in scoring position.

What about untied shoelaces?
Old Tue Dec 14, 2004, 03:30pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by lrpalmer3
Quote:
What a difference in opinion!!! I always whistle for shoe-coming-offness, unless a team is in scoring position.

If the ball is dead, I'll delay putting it in play for laces. I'm not stopping the game for a shoe lace.
Old Tue Dec 14, 2004, 03:35pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Quote:
Quote:

If the ball is dead, I'll delay putting it in play for laces. I'm not stopping the game for a shoe lace.
Oh my, that is very dangerous. If a kid is on defense, he'll try to play like the before he takes himself out of the play to tie his shoes. If that gets stepped on when he's trying to jump, OUCH!!!!!!!
Old Tue Dec 14, 2004, 04:14pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:

Oh my, that is very dangerous. If a kid is on defense, he'll try to play like the before he takes himself out of the play to tie his shoes. If that gets stepped on when he's trying to jump, OUCH!!!!!!!
I have been officiating basketball for 13 years, with JUCO, HS, REC, and youth leagues I've probably done 600+ games a year. That's over 7,000 games and I have NEVER seen a player go down because of a shoe lace, NEVER.

If they can't keep them tied and have to stop playing defense, too bad. I've got 9 other players out there with their shoes tied CORRECTLY.

If they can't keep them tied and their team has to play 4 on 5 on offense, too bad, again I've got 9 other players with their shoes tied correctly.

Old Tue Dec 14, 2004, 04:18pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to Dan_ref
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:

I have been officiating basketball for 13 years, with JUCO, HS, REC, and youth leagues I've probably done 600+ games a year. That's over 7,000 games and I have NEVER seen a player go down because of a shoe lace, NEVER.

If they can't keep them tied and have to stop playing defense, too bad. I've got 9 other players out there with their shoes tied CORRECTLY.

If they can't keep them tied and their team has to play 4 on 5 on offense, too bad, again I've got 9 other players with their shoes tied correctly.

Me too. I've seen some weird injuries but I've never seen an injury due to a lace, a shoe or lack of same.

Of course now that I've said that...

btw, 600+ games a year? I dunno...doesn't seem right to me. You must be slacking off.