The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Softball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Wed May 20, 2009, 02:03pm
Official Forum Member

Slowing down quick calls

So, the reply to the other thread reminded me of something I've been meaning to ask.
I've gotten plenty of advice to slow down and for the most part it's great. See something, think about it, then call what happened.

There are some calls though where that doesn't seem to be so effective. A runner leaving early, obstruction, illegal pitches (especially in slow pitch where they are too high). I find these to be some of the toughest calls because if I replay them like I might a call at a base the opportunity is passed. (I could still call something, but it's tough to sell an illegal pitch while the catcher's got the ball or a leaving early call as the batter's hitting the ball.) So I still call them when I can be sure the first time, but I feel like I have less confidence in these calls.

Thoughts?
________
Latina Cams

Last edited by youngump; Mon Sep 19, 2011 at 06:59pm.
Old Wed May 20, 2009, 02:13pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by youngump View Post
So, the reply to the other thread reminded me of something I've been meaning to ask.
I've gotten plenty of advice to slow down and for the most part it's great. See something, think about it, then call what happened.

There are some calls though where that doesn't seem to be so effective. A runner leaving early, obstruction, illegal pitches (especially in slow pitch where they are too high). I find these to be some of the toughest calls because if I replay them like I might a call at a base the opportunity is passed. (I could still call something, but it's tough to sell an illegal pitch while the catcher's got the ball or a leaving early call as the batter's hitting the ball.) So I still call them when I can be sure the first time, but I feel like I have less confidence in these calls.

Thoughts?
The reference is usually to out/safe calls where a reversal can have a serious affect on the play. For the others, there shouldn't be much thinking involved.

IP are the calls with which you need to be timely. Not only with the batter in SP, but the perception of being decisive.

The others are not that important to get out immediately. Even the IP in FP isn't that important as there is no negative affect on the offense.
Old Wed May 20, 2009, 02:30pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by youngump View Post

Thoughts?
There are certain calls that do need to be quick, as they have immediate consequences. Interference (known as INT here) needs to be called quickly, as the play is immediately dead, and you will need to know where the runners are. The longer you wait to call INT, the longer it may take to mop up the mess.

An Illegal Pitch (known as IP here) needs to be called ASAP in Slow Pitch (known as SP here). Calling an IP quickly for being too high or too low is tough, as it only takes 2 seconds or so for the ball to reach the plate once the pitcher releases it. You call it as soon as you can so that the batter knows they have the option of taking the automatic ball. I reiterate: you call it as soon as you can. It's been my experience that the flat pitches are never called as fast as the teams would like. They can suck it for all I care, because I'm calling it as fast as I can.

In the SP game, ball/strike does not need to be right away. Wait for that ball to be in the catcher's glove, pause for at least a quarter to half a second, and then make your call. It's a rhythm, and you'll find it. Call it too fast or way too slow, and you'll look like you're guessing.

However, it's the safe/out calls where rushing things can really hang ourselves out to dry. Those are the ones that will give you the most hell when you rush the call, only to reverse it. My advice has always been simple: assume that the fielder WILL drop the ball, and wait for them to prove otherwise to you. That has seriously helped me to slow things down when making my calls, and I might have a call reversal once every 2 or 3 years (with over 200 games/year).

But you're absolutely correct: timing is VERY important, and developing a good rhythm is key in keeping order on the field.

I haven't decided if I should call it from the dugout or the outfield. Apparently, both have really great views!

Screw green, it ain't easy being blue!

I won't be coming here that much anymore. I might check in now and again.
Old Wed May 20, 2009, 02:47pm
Official Forum Member

There is no need to wait on the SAFE call; just the OUT call.
Old Wed May 20, 2009, 02:52pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dakota View Post
There is no need to wait on the SAFE call; just the OUT call.
If the runner overslides the base and we have a subsequent tag?

Safe! No, out! Oh $*%@!

I haven't decided if I should call it from the dugout or the outfield. Apparently, both have really great views!

Old Wed May 20, 2009, 04:32pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by NCASAUmp View Post
If the runner overslides the base and we have a subsequent tag?

Safe! No, out! Oh $*%@!
Two seperate plays, two seperate calls
Old Wed May 20, 2009, 10:28pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andy View Post
Two seperate plays, two seperate calls
Still makes the umpire look like an idiot rushing a call. I say the play's not over, and I'm waiting for everything to unfold before I make my call unless something happens that dictates otherwise.

Old Thu May 21, 2009, 07:29am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by NCASAUmp View Post
Still makes the umpire look like an idiot rushing a call. I say the play's not over, and I'm waiting for everything to unfold before I make my call unless something happens that dictates otherwise.
looks like a idiot to whom?... the untrained eye? the coaches? (are we caring about them now?.....coz i didnt get that memo!!)
two plays, two calls gets a A+
plus its by the book. (cant go wrong there)
Old Thu May 21, 2009, 07:36am
Official Forum Member

If there is an overslide and you do a safe / out, IMO you were a little unlucky and you would get dinged for rushing your call. If your timing is right, I would think this could only happen on the first call of a double play. You've got to hold that one too... there could be an over slide crash INT etc. You cant hold it as long, but watch your play or you'll get burned.
Old Thu May 21, 2009, 08:31am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by CajunNewBlue View Post
looks like a idiot to whom?... the untrained eye? the coaches? (are we caring about them now?.....coz i didnt get that memo!!)
IDK, CNB. If you're able to get a safe call out before the overslide, you may be a little quick. IMO, 2 calls on an overslide is one too many.
Old Thu May 21, 2009, 08:34am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by topper View Post
IDK, CNB. If you're able to get a safe call out before the overslide, you may be a little quick. IMO, 2 calls on an overslide is one too many.
perhaps... maybe i could get away with it if both players involved are really fat and slow?

Actually I was thinking more along the lines of a missed base at first or at home, then with a tag appeal.
but you know me... i see/read poorly
Old Thu May 21, 2009, 08:38am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
C'mon, y'all know I couldn't care less about what coaches think.

However, I maintain that calling "Safe! Out!" looks like you're rushing the call. Let the entire play unfold, not just little bits of the play.

Consider this sitch... Tag play at 2B. A runner comes into the bag standing up and is tagged after reaching the base. However, the runner's momentum carries them off of the bag while the fielder still has their glove on the runner (yes, with the ball held securely inside the glove). Would you call "Safe! Out!" in that case?

Let the entire play unfold, THEN make your call.

Old Thu May 21, 2009, 08:41am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
but you know me... i see/read poorly
Plus, knowing you LA boys, if you make 2 calls, at least one will be wrong.
Old Thu May 21, 2009, 08:45am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by topper View Post
Plus, knowing you LA boys, if you make 2 calls, at least one will be wrong.
Doesn't matter, because either way, someone will think you're wrong!

Old Thu May 21, 2009, 09:06am
Official Forum Member

I tend to agree with Dave on this. Even if correct, the perception is you are reversing an original call especially if the second comes right on the tail of the first. It isn't like a runner slides into a base, stops and then continues to slide pass the base.

There is no need to come up with a quick safe because if the defender is keeping the ball there for a possible continuation of the play, there isn't going to be a play anywhere else.

Now, if the obvious play is complete and then the runner does something stupid like lift their contact foot or fall off the base unaided and the defender is holding a tag (which I hate), then there are two plays, two calls.