The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Softball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Wed May 20, 2009, 06:16am
Official Forum Member

another line up card question

when the dp comes in to play defense for someone other than the flex...how do you mark your card to show the dp playing that postion and how do you also show the replaced player as left the game? hope this makes sense.
Old Wed May 20, 2009, 06:23am
Official Forum Member

another ? can the dp after initially replacing a defensive player... allowed to reenter and play a different defensive postion.
Old Wed May 20, 2009, 06:43am
Official Forum Member

The only instance in which I would be concerned with the DP entering to play defense would be if she was going in to pitch or catch, so that I can know she would be eligible to have a courtesy runner, or if she was going in to play defense for the flex. The player being replaced on defense is not considered to have left the game, so there is no substitution, unless it is the flex.

As to your second question, she can enter to play defense for someone different every inning if the coach so desires. As long as the DP is batting, and the flex is playing defense, there are no substitutions, so the DP is not "reentering" since she never left the game.
Old Wed May 20, 2009, 07:31am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by cloverdale View Post
....how do you also show the replaced player as left the game?...
The replaced player has NOT left the game. She continues to bat in her place in the batting order. As Bob said, there is no need to note this on the lineup at all unless F1 or F2 is involved, and that is only for reference with respect to possible courtesy runners.
Old Wed May 20, 2009, 08:06am
Official Forum Member

thanks

light bulb came on...thanks ...replaced player has not left game!!!
Old Wed May 20, 2009, 10:29am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by cloverdale View Post
when the dp comes in to play defense for someone other than the flex...how do you mark your card to show the dp playing that postion and how do you also show the replaced player as left the game? hope this makes sense.
I have taken to marking the lineup card with a 'B', indicating that this defensive player is still in the game and is playing the defensive position of "bench".
Old Wed May 20, 2009, 11:06am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve M View Post
I have taken to marking the lineup card with a 'B', indicating that this defensive player is still in the game and is playing the defensive position of "bench".
Where did you learn such a great concept?

As most everyone stated, under Federation and ASA rules, line up changes of this type are not necessary to record, with the exception of DP for the flex or if the DP comes into pitch/catch (CR implications).

However, NCAA does have a penalty for an incorrect line up card (a correct line up card includes, first/last name, number and position). As Steve mentioned, the designation of "B" (for "Bench") keeps the coach or UMPIRE from using the dreaded "Temporary DP."
Old Wed May 20, 2009, 11:30am
Official Forum Member

I note the change with a "B" as well... then cross it out as I do my normal system when they go in. It is important to keep track of the movement of the players in the defense with some sort of system just so when the situation of another coach or someone not paying attention comming up saying " That person wasnt in the game before and I dont have a sub for them" you can explain the who went where and who is sitting and how its been done leagally

For all those who don't know ... Ed Hickox is the MAN

NFHS NCAA PONY ASA ISC USSSA
Old Wed May 20, 2009, 12:40pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by kcg NC2Ablu View Post
I note the change with a "B" as well... then cross it out as I do my normal system when they go in. It is important to keep track of the movement of the players in the defense with some sort of system just so when the situation of another coach or someone not paying attention comming up saying " That person wasnt in the game before and I dont have a sub for them" you can explain the who went where and who is sitting and how its been done leagally
From a rule standpoint, defensive position only matter in NCAA (accurate line up card). Defensive position in Fed or ASA do not matter (exception for F1 and F2 for CR purposes only).

Why do you need to give a history of the game to the coach? You either have a legal sub, an unreported sub or an illegal sub. Then you apply the penalty when appealed. A coach not paying attention in not your problem.
Old Wed May 20, 2009, 01:04pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Big Slick View Post
From a rule standpoint, defensive position only matter in NCAA (accurate line up card). Defensive position in Fed or ASA do not matter (exception for F1 and F2 for CR purposes only).

Why do you need to give a history of the game to the coach? You either have a legal sub, an unreported sub or an illegal sub. Then you apply the penalty when appealed. A coach not paying attention in not your problem.
Are you saying that the coaches in HS or ASA are smarter than those in the NCAA?
Old Wed May 20, 2009, 01:11pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by IRISHMAFIA View Post
Are you saying that the coaches in HS or ASA are smarter than those in the NCAA?
I would say: "About the same." It is just that some college coach got burned when he/she wasn't paying attention and the DC coach switch F7 and F9 for a batter. Hence the rule change.

Fed and ASA rules aren't driven by the coaches.