The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Softball

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Sat May 16, 2009, 10:43am
Official Forum Member

DP/FLEX or DP/DEFO History of Rule

When was this rule first put in place?

This has come up in a discussion in this thread and rather than lead that thread farther off-topic I am starting a new thread.

I believe that 2004 is correct for NFHS. See this article on officiating.com, but in ASA the rule was in effect prior to that. It was DP/DEFO before the terminology was changed to DP/FLEX.

I did find this pdf file that has the DP/DEFO going into effect for ISF in 2001/2002.

The first use of DP/DEFO I remember was around 1989/1990 in ASA. My daughter was playing 14U at the time and I remember it because it came up in a tournament championship game. (although it may have been a year or two later when she was in 16U).

Do any of you have old rule books or any reference for when this rule went into effect first? What rule set adopted it first? I am just curious, thanks for your help.

Edit: I found a 1998 ASA rule book with the DP/Defo rule. Anyone know the first year for this rule?

Last edited by marvin; Sat May 16, 2009 at 02:06pm. Reason: Added Info
Old Sat May 16, 2009, 10:14pm
Official Forum Member

I found a copy of the ASA rules for 1989 as reprinted in a the National Association for Girls & Women in Sport and it includes the DP rule. You can download the NAGWS manual here.

The DP rule was pretty much the same then as it is now, so we have had this rule for 20 years (at least) and people still don't understand it.

Does anybody know what year this rule was first in place?
Old Wed May 20, 2009, 05:01pm
Official Forum Member

Location: The Land Of The Free and The Home Of The Brave (MD/DE)
See this thread

FLEX rule?
Old Wed May 20, 2009, 07:11pm
Official Forum Member

Cecil,

Thanks for the reference. I was trying to pin down the origin of the rule (and what ruleset used it first) . In another thread someone stated that the rule was only ten years old, my memory said closer to twenty. I found a reference in a 1989 ASA rule book (link in earlier posts).

I think it started a year or two prior to 1989 and was wondering if anyone had a definitive answer.

I only remembered it being used in '89 because my oldest daughter was playing ASA 14U at that time and we had to learn the rule.
Old Fri May 22, 2009, 03:14am
Official Forum Member

My local library has a copy of the ASA umpire's manual copyrighted in 1987. The entire rules are not reprinted, but there is a section that lists the differences between fast and slow pitch. In this section under Rule 4 - Players and Substitutes fast pitch shows the DH and slow pitch shows the EH.

ASA umpire merchandise from the inside front cover:

#1000 MP Elbeco shirt - $13.95
Hats (sized wool) - $7.25
Face Mask and throat guard (heavy duty) - $25.50 (my neck hurts thinking about how heavy "heavy duty" really was in 1987)

Shipping for ten pounds was $5.25.
Old Fri May 22, 2009, 09:03am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by marvin View Post

Shipping for ten pounds was $5.25.
Well...that covers the mask!!!

It's a small world, but I wouldn't want to have to paint it.