The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Baseball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Thu Jul 18, 2002, 12:21am
Official Forum Member

Thumbs up

Some time ago there was a post that decribed the history behind the dropped-third-strike rule. It was very interesting and enlightening. I can't remember which board it was on (this or McGriffs). I would appreciate a repost, point to post #, or website that has the information.

Thanks in advance.
Old Thu Jul 18, 2002, 10:22am
Official Forum Member

I have this from JEA:

OBR 6.09(b):

"Historical notes: Under the original Major League Code (1876), a batsman who struck at and missed a third strike OR failed to strike at a "good ball" for a called third strike was obligated to run to first base "..as in the case of hitting a fair ball."

The rules of 1887 specified that the batsman became a base runner "...instantly after FOUR strikes had been declared by the umpire." This "four strike" provision lasted only one year.

As late as the 1940's the batter was entitled to advance (with liability) after three strikes had been called by the umpire. By the time of recodification in 1950, a provision had been added that stipulated that the batter could advance (with liability) after three strikes had been called when the third stike was not caught unless there is a runner on first base with not more than one out.

Essentially, this changed the previous rule in two ways: (1) The batter could legally advance as a runner ONLY if the third strike was NOT caught; and (2) The batter was not permitted to advance if first base was occupied with less than two outs.

In 1956, the wording was simplified to it's present form."

I hope that is what you were looking for. G.
Old Thu Jul 18, 2002, 10:46am
Official Forum Member

Gee, thanks for the wording and response. The original post tough took it a step further in describing that the catcher played further back behind the plate and fielded pitches on the hop. It also added information as to the evolution of the rule and the use of the catcher's mit. It made the exististance of the rule's origin really clear and justified.

Man I wish I would have saved it when I read it the first time. Still looking...

Anyone else remember if it was this board or McGriff's, or somewhere else?
Old Thu Jul 18, 2002, 10:46am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by spillguy
Some time ago there was a post that decribed the history behind the dropped-third-strike rule. It was very interesting and enlightening. I can't remember which board it was on (this or McGriffs). I would appreciate a repost, point to post #, or website that has the information.

Thanks in advance.
As Gee points out, originally the batter could run after every third (or, more accurately, last) out. Since the catcher played well behind the batter in these days, the out was not "automatic."

As catcher's moved up and the out's became routine (at the level of play the rules were written for), the batter became out when the pitch was caught.

Smart catchers realized that they could "not catch" a pitch in certain circumstances and get a DP. So, now the batter can only run when a DP is not possible.
Old Thu Jul 18, 2002, 12:54pm
Official Forum Member

The Rules of Baseball

If you are interested in the history of The Rules of Baseball try this book:

http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/AS...130509-8568114

It is called the The Rules of Baseball: A History of How They Developed

Each rule has stories about how the rules evolved as well as historical famous plays.
Old Fri Jul 19, 2002, 05:56pm
Official Forum Member

I have a copy of this book and I highly recommend it. It's a fascinating look at the history of baseball rules. The book is organized by OBR listing the current rule and the history and customs which have forged it.

Old Sat Sep 03, 2005, 09:05am
Official Forum Member

third strike

Greetings, I have The Rules of Baseball-An Anecdotal Look at the Rules of Baseball and How They Came to Be by David Nemec (NY: Lyons & Burford, 1994). Apparently, a rule change in 1880 established that the batter is out when a third strike is legally caught by the catcher. On page 93 it reads, "In 1858 a rule was first introduced to allow a batter to run on a missed third strike. Until 1880, though, a batter was considered out if the catcher snagged his third strike either on the fly or the first bounce." Nemec provides that the reason for the early rule was the lack of catching gear. Beginning in 1880, catchers moved up to catch the third strike. By 1902, the rules mandated that catchers play within 10 feet of home plate at all times.
Old Sat Sep 03, 2005, 02:17pm
Official Forum Member

Three years?????
Old Tue Sep 06, 2005, 07:42am
Official Forum Member

Send a message via Yahoo to TBBlue
One thing is for sure. We can't slam this person for not looking at prior posts before making an entry. I didn't know there were umpire forums in 2002...~