The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Softball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Thu May 14, 2009, 12:35pm
Official Forum Member

this type of behavior would never, ever (no proof happen at the Olympics. Behavior from players should imitate Olympic behavior IMO.

I side with Mike on this. We just have higher standards

The issue is not whether I should tune it out, or it should not bother me, etc but rather is it sportsmanlike. Of course not, a good sportsman does not resort to that.

I have not allowed it where I thought it was inappropriate and the UIC backed me up as the team that could not do it went and complained to the UIC.
Old Thu May 14, 2009, 12:50pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by wadeintothem View Post
So?

Swing batta batta has been around forever.
So have take-out slides and bean balls.

I haven't decided if I should call it from the dugout or the outfield. Apparently, both have really great views!

Screw green, it ain't easy being blue!

I won't be coming here that much anymore. I might check in now and again.
Old Thu May 14, 2009, 12:50pm
Official Forum Member

Folks, I'm not talking about picking nits, here. I'm talking about directed comments for the purpose of affecting a player's immediate actions. It does not necessarily have to be disparaging language, then again, if it is, it need not be of a loud volume. Really don't care about idle chatter, defining pitches or offering direction to a teammate.

I have never ejected anyone on this type of issue. It stops when I make a point of it. This is a type of violation that when you hear it, you instruct the participant to cease. If ignored, then you take whatever you deem is the appropriate action which whomever it is necessary to get control of the game.

Last edited by IRISHMAFIA; Thu May 14, 2009 at 12:54pm.
Old Thu May 14, 2009, 12:56pm
Official Forum Member

Bear in mind that the only time in the last 16+ years of umpiring that I have ever said anything about "swing" is if I see a player visibly starting to get pissed enough that they might want to do something about it. This has happened maybe... 3 times?

I haven't decided if I should call it from the dugout or the outfield. Apparently, both have really great views!

Old Thu May 14, 2009, 01:17pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by NCASAUmp View Post
So have take-out slides and bean balls.
Exactly correct!
Old Thu May 14, 2009, 01:33pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Bear in mind that the only time in the last 16+ years of umpiring that I have ever said anything about "swing" is if I see a player visibly starting to get pissed enough that they might want to do something about it. This has happened maybe... 3 times?
You work adult ball slow pitch right?

There may be some actions you take in that game that are not necessary in youth ball.. an example IMO would be the afforementioned "take out slide".

In youth ball, it is expected to "break it up" - in beer league, they gotta work in the morning and allowing certain things can lead to problems.

I think manage your game... so on a case by case basis depending on a circumstance, you may need to do something that you wouldnt necessarily do another given circumstance.

Last edited by wadeintothem; Thu May 14, 2009 at 01:37pm.
Old Thu May 14, 2009, 01:33pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Exactly correct!
My point is that just because things have "always been there," it doesn't mean they should be there.

Anyway, what I was trying to get at is that some chatter is fine, but there's a point at which it crosses the line. If it's creating a dangerous or hostile environment, then it should stop. If I'm calling a game where the ball is coming in at 60+ MPH, I would not want someone distracting the batter, putting them at risk of getting hit.

Old Thu May 14, 2009, 01:36pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
My point is that just because things have "always been there," it doesn't mean they should be there.

Anyway, what I was trying to get at is that some chatter is fine, but there's a point at which it crosses the line. If it's creating a dangerous or hostile environment, then it should stop. If I'm calling a game where the ball is coming in at 60+ MPH, I would not want someone distracting the batter, putting them at risk of getting hit.
Or the ball coming at a fielder at 98 mph and a passing runner screaming.....oh, wait a minute, that one we call!
Old Thu May 14, 2009, 01:41pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
You work adult ball slow pitch right?
Yes, indeedileedoodly! However, I called youth games for many years.

Quote:
Originally Posted by wadeintothem
There may be some actions you take in that game that are not necessary in youth ball.. an example IMO would be the afforementioned "take out slide".

In youth ball, it is expect to "break it up" - in beer league, they gotta work in the morning and allowing certain things can lead to problems.
I was not aware that ASA had different rules regarding sliding...

Quote:
Originally Posted by wadeintothem
I think manage your game... so on a case base case bases depending on a circumstance you may need to do something.
Absolutely, each game will be different. The players are different, the setting is different, and the mood is different. Just like some days, I can put up with more crap, and other days, I might not always be so willing to tolerate things (try as I may to be as consistent and cool-headed as possible). But if I see some bad mojo brewing, or if I see some potential danger in the act, I put a stop to it quietly and without being adversarial.

Old Thu May 14, 2009, 01:41pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:

Come on! Now youre reaching for justification now for OOO by inventing a "safety save the children" justification, which is beyond the previous USC argument.
Old Thu May 14, 2009, 01:44pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by IRISHMAFIA View Post
Or the ball coming at a fielder at 98 mph and a passing runner screaming.....oh, wait a minute, that one we call!
Yep! And I do tell the runners not to do that. I've even called INT on a runner for doing that. He screamed as he ran into 2B on a force play, and I could see F4 flinch big time, causing her to drop the ball (when she normally doesn't drop it).

Old Thu May 14, 2009, 01:47pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
But if I see some bad mojo brewing, or if I see some potential danger in the act, I put a stop to it quietly and without being adversarial.
is that why no one likes you and you keep on having to eject everyone ?
Old Thu May 14, 2009, 01:50pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Come on! Now youre reaching for justification now for OOO by inventing a "safety save the children" justification, which is beyond the previous USC argument.
Oh, as George Carlin used to say... "F*** the children!"

Actually, that was part of my argument from the start, so I didn't tangent into that. But yes, if I see an unnecessary behavior that makes things unsafe, I put a stop to it. I do that for all levels of play, from 10U to Seniors.

Old Thu May 14, 2009, 01:51pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
is that why no one likes you and you keep on having to eject everyone ?
Could be!

You know I'm just messin' with you, bud.

We apparently have different styles, and each umpire has his/her own threshold. I'm comfortable with mine, you're comfortable with yours. As long as neither of us are d1cks about it, I see no troubles in how either of us handles the situation. Know what I mean?

Last edited by NCASAUmp; Thu May 14, 2009 at 02:03pm. Reason: wade's not a d1ck, and so I shall not be one, either :)
Old Thu May 14, 2009, 01:58pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Could be! But it never earned me a spot in the paper.

You know I'm just messin' with you, bud.
Low blow...

Quote:
We apparently have different styles, and each umpire has his/her own threshold. I'm comfortable with mine, you're comfortable with yours. As long as neither of us are d1cks about it, I see no troubles in how either of us handles the situation. Know what I mean?
you know it bro!