The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Softball

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Mon May 17, 2004, 11:38am
Official Forum Member

I saw a pitcher wearing a faceshield this Saturday, she was also double touching and this is what I went to talk to the coach about. I said "Coach, your pitcher" to which he said "You aren't going to tell us she can't wear the faceshield are you?" I said "No, but she can't double touch like that." Anyway he explained to me that he had an issue with a coach wanting the umpire to delcare the facshield distracting and not allow the pitcher to wear it. This seemed crazy to me, this was like most I have seen, clear shield that did let some of the blue padding show around the forehead and a little around the jaw. I was wondering have any of you seen any pitchers faceshield that you would disallow for being distracting. I personally can't imagine unless there was a sticker type issue.
Old Mon May 17, 2004, 11:42am
Official Forum Member

Was this ASA?

ASA Rule 3-5D specifically allows the Game Face and the Sports-Guard masks for any player (offense or defense), with the exception of the catcher.

If you see this coach again, tell him about the rule so his pitcher can keep her protection.

Woe unto any umpire who makes her remove the mask and then the pitcher gets hit in the face!
Old Mon May 17, 2004, 01:32pm
Official Forum Member

There's nothing distracting about these shields. Heck, their advertised in the FED rulebook, aren't they? I've seen several masks, and none are distracting.

I once saw a pitcher wear some wild sunglasses one day. Offensive coach said it was distracting...I said, "distracting? no. Tacky? Yes."