The Official Forum

The Official Forum (https://forum.officiating.com/)
-   Softball (https://forum.officiating.com/softball/)
-   -   Distracting cheers (https://forum.officiating.com/softball/53232-distracting-cheers.html)

RKBUmp Thu May 14, 2009 10:28am

Distracting cheers

From NFHS board. We have rules against attempts to distract the pitcher, but apparently no similar rule against trying to distract the batter? What is the general consensus about a player or team yelling "swing batter" or any other obvious cheer or attempt to distract the batter?

wadeintothem Thu May 14, 2009 10:32am

ignore it. Try not to let it get to you.

SRW Thu May 14, 2009 10:45am

Tune it out.

IRISHMAFIA Thu May 14, 2009 10:46am

Quote:

Originally Posted by RKBUmp (Post 602060)
From NFHS board. We have rules against attempts to distract the pitcher, but apparently no similar rule against trying to distract the batter? What is the general consensus about a player or team yelling "swing batter" or any other obvious cheer or attempt to distract the batter?

There is none. My personal opinion is that addressing an opponent in any manner other than common pleasantries is form of USC. Many do not agree. Some believe anything goes. I don't.

Speaking ASA

Base coaches are forbidden, by rule, to address the opponent or make any comments which would reflect negatively upon the opponent, umpire or spectator. Why should one expect less from a player?

Dakota Thu May 14, 2009 10:59am

If, in your judgment, it is actually distracting the batter, (and that is its obvious intent), you do have rule backing to stop it (at least in NFHS).

Quote:

NFHS Rule 2, SECTION 36 OBSTRUCTION (DEFENSE)
Obstruction is the act of the defensive team member that hinders or impedes a batter's attempt to make contact with a pitched ball... The act may be intentional or unintentional, physical or verbal.

NCASAUmp Thu May 14, 2009 11:06am

I have no problem with players that want to cheer for their own team. However, I've never understood how "cheering" at an opposing team player to swing the bat and distracting them is cheering for your team.

wadeintothem Thu May 14, 2009 11:27am

Softball is not golf. Derogatory stuff is a no go - being the noise police is OOO.

NCASAUmp Thu May 14, 2009 11:32am

Quote:

Originally Posted by wadeintothem (Post 602101)
Softball is not golf. Derogatory stuff is a no go - being the noise police is OOO.

And if they scream "SWING!" on an inside pitch as the ball approaches the plate at 60 MPH?

CajunNewBlue Thu May 14, 2009 11:33am

Quote:

Originally Posted by NCASAUmp (Post 602103)
And if they scream "SWING!" on an inside pitch as the ball approaches the plate at 60 MPH?

hopefully the batter hits that nugget outta the park and silences the bench for all time!! :D

wadeintothem Thu May 14, 2009 11:39am

Quote:

Originally Posted by NCASAUmp (Post 602103)

So?

Swing batta batta has been around forever.

Ref Ump Welsch Thu May 14, 2009 11:43am

This is something I've had batters b**ch about in slow-pitch, the chatty catcher who says stuff like "oh, that's a good pitch", "yeah, it's right there", etc. I've had batters ask me to shut the catcher up, and my response is simply, I can't unless it's derogatory.

The only time I ejected a catcher for USC while being chatty was a male catcher who said "That's a good pitch, swing that rack baby!" when a female batter was up to bat in a coed game. She let it go, wisely, because it would have been a ball, and as soon as it hit the ground and I called, "Ball...catcher, gimme the ball." He looked at me and asked why. I told him he was gone for USC and he dropped the ball in amazement and the batter said "now how does my rack look?" :D

CajunNewBlue Thu May 14, 2009 11:46am

Quote:

Originally Posted by Ref Ump Welsch (Post 602114)
This is something I've had batters b**ch about in slow-pitch, the chatty catcher who says stuff like "oh, that's a good pitch", "yeah, it's right there", etc. I've had batters ask me to shut the catcher up, and my response is simply, I can't unless it's derogatory.

The only time I ejected a catcher for USC while being chatty was a male catcher who said "That's a good pitch, swing that rack baby!" when a female batter was up to bat in a coed game. She let it go, wisely, because it would have been a ball, and as soon as it hit the ground and I called, "Ball...catcher, gimme the ball." He looked at me and asked why. I told him he was gone for USC and he dropped the ball in amazement and the batter said "now how does my rack look?" :D

rofl

wadeintothem Thu May 14, 2009 11:52am

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dakota (Post 602076)
If, in your judgment, it is actually distracting the batter, (and that is its obvious intent), you do have rule backing to stop it (at least in NFHS).

IMO, this would be a gross violation - such as F5 charging in screaming like a banshee waiving her arms.. simply yelling "swing/ring/bling" is not interfering with a batter's ability to hit the ball.. is more like anti-interference-- its encouraging them to hit. There is no rule against encouraging them to hit the ball... not even that one.

Dakota Thu May 14, 2009 12:12pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by wadeintothem (Post 602116)
IMO, this would be a gross violation - such as F5 charging in screaming like a banshee waiving her arms.. simply yelling "swing/ring/bling" is not interfering with a batter's ability to hit the ball.. is more like anti-interference-- its encouraging them to hit. There is no rule against encouraging them to hit the ball... not even that one.

I was just pointing out the rule... the umpire does not need to rule USC; he may rule verbal OBS. I've never made this ruling. Ever.

wadeintothem Thu May 14, 2009 12:13pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dakota (Post 602120)
I was just pointing out the rule... the umpire does not need to rule USC; he may rule verbal OBS. I've never made this ruling. Ever.

Thats cuz ur a good umpire! ;)