The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Softball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Wed May 13, 2009, 02:11pm
Official Forum Member

Ejection or Warning

Girls Rec. 12 year old division. Last inning, Home team at bat. 2 outs. I call strike 2 on batter who turns and says to me, "Come on Ump that was low and inside!." First reaction by me is, "Nothing." as I have never had a batter at this age say anything to me directly from the box. I call time, tell the young lady to follow me and I call her coach over and said to the coach, "First time any young batter has ever made a comment about a pitch to me and I would like her to tell you what she said." She repeats it and I say to the HC, could you please speak with her and take this as a warning.. She gets back in the box and next pitch is down the middle belt high and I call strike three, game over. After the game the mom of the batter came up to me and said that she will speak to her daughter and take care of it. She had that mom look as if she was upset with her daughter and let me know it will be done. My partner said he would have ejected her. This was a good game with no other issues at all and I was surprised by the comment since I was not expecting it. Felt I handled it correctly but was not sure if I was too easy. Comments or suggestions. Thanks in advance.
Old Wed May 13, 2009, 02:16pm
Official Forum Member

Technically, you probably should have tossed her. (She was showing you up, after all.) However, getting coach and mom involved may be more of a punishment than just missing the last few seconds of a ball game!!!!

It's a small world, but I wouldn't want to have to paint it.
Old Wed May 13, 2009, 02:33pm
Official Forum Member

You did fine, probably more than I would have done.. which is just told her direct"I'll call the balls and strikes, this is your warning". Maybe mention to the coach between innings. No ejection for this.
Old Wed May 13, 2009, 02:39pm
Archaic Power Monger

I agree I'm usually not ejecting the first time she does this. If she keeps it up, I would definitely consider it!

I probably wouldn't go as far as you did with walking her over to the coach in the middle of the at bat but I guess it worked for you this time. You might find that there is a coach out there that says "Well she's right, that was low out and outside!" You've just magnified the problem in that case.

I think something along the lines of what Wade suggested or even "That's enough, let's play ball" would work.
Old Wed May 13, 2009, 04:24pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by JPaco54 View Post
Girls Rec. 12 year old division. Last inning, Home team at bat. 2 outs. I call strike 2 on batter who turns and says to me, "Come on Ump that was low and inside!." First reaction by me is, "Nothing." as I have never had a batter at this age say anything to me directly from the box. I call time, tell the young lady to follow me and I call her coach over and said to the coach, "First time any young batter has ever made a comment about a pitch to me and I would like her to tell you what she said." She repeats it and I say to the HC, could you please speak with her and take this as a warning.. She gets back in the box and next pitch is down the middle belt high and I call strike three, game over. After the game the mom of the batter came up to me and said that she will speak to her daughter and take care of it. She had that mom look as if she was upset with her daughter and let me know it will be done. My partner said he would have ejected her. This was a good game with no other issues at all and I was surprised by the comment since I was not expecting it. Felt I handled it correctly but was not sure if I was too easy. Comments or suggestions. Thanks in advance.

12U?
Rec ball?
I think ya done good.....

Although it would have been a good time to use one of those lines I never really use in a game. Something like...

"You got a choice. You can play or you can umpire"
Old Wed May 13, 2009, 07:09pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by JPaco54 View Post
Girls Rec. 12 year old division...
I loved the way you handled it. I bet you remember it forever.

In 1993, I had a Little League player (11/12 yo) kind of hide behind a shed after a game just so he could tell me I sucked. I asked him to walk with me to the official scorer and informed the scorer that I had ejected the player after that game, assuming he might have to sit out the next game.

It was the last game of a very full Saturday so I went to my parking spot in the trees past centerfield. As I strip off my outer gear, I was down to a t-shirt and two-sizes-too-small compression shorts, both of which I had been wearing for the last four games. Mom and son pull up with head lights shining on us. Mom got out and apologized first, followed by mom making her son apologize. Mom's conversation was a bit long, expressing her appreciation for all we did, but all I was just thinking was I wished she'd leave so I could put on some pants.
Old Wed May 13, 2009, 08:25pm
Official Forum Member

We all have one of these. Mine was with the pitcher. The daddy-coach of the pitcher did not like the strike zone and was letting everyone know.I was just blowing it off. A pitch came low and outside, BALL, then the pitcher says loudly, "blue you really suck". I called time ask the daddy-coach to come with me, and told him in front of her, "coach your pitcher is eject, and you are also eject for being such a poor example".

This team took first in the league. Typically the first place coach get the Gold All-Star team. He did not get the team. He took his daughter and started a daddy-coach travel team.
Old Wed May 13, 2009, 08:44pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by vcblue View Post
We all have one of these. Mine was with the pitcher. The daddy-coach of the pitcher did not like the strike zone and was letting everyone know.I was just blowing it off. A pitch came low and outside, BALL, then the pitcher says loudly, "blue you really suck". I called time ask the daddy-coach to come with me, and told him in front of her, "coach your pitcher is eject, and you are also eject for being such a poor example".

This team took first in the league. Typically the first place coach get the Gold All-Star team. He did not get the team. He took his daughter and started a daddy-coach travel team.
This scenario is an obvious ejection.

You should have handled that daddy coach at comment #1... at the latest, at the end of the inning. That is exactly WHY you handle them.. coach comments snowball.
Old Wed May 13, 2009, 10:03pm
Official Forum Member

I was a lot younger then lol
Old Wed May 13, 2009, 10:17pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by vcblue View Post
I was a lot younger then lol
I went the opposite way - worked very hard on my game from several different aspects to eject less people .

I dont even have an ejection this year, and I've worked mens FP and some tough situations. Probably only the one situation I posted here where I should have dumped and didnt... so pretty good for me!
Old Thu May 14, 2009, 10:13am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by SC Ump View Post
....I was down to a t-shirt and two-sizes-too-small compression shorts, ... Mom's conversation was a bit long...
Maybe she was admiring the view.....
Old Thu May 14, 2009, 10:22am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andy View Post
Were they high beams or low beams?

I haven't decided if I should call it from the dugout or the outfield. Apparently, both have really great views!

Screw green, it ain't easy being blue!

I won't be coming here that much anymore. I might check in now and again.
Old Thu May 14, 2009, 10:26am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by HugoTafurst View Post
12U?
Rec ball?
I think ya done good.....

Although it would have been a good time to use one of those lines I never really use in a game. Something like...

"You got a choice. You can play or you can umpire"
Or something like....I like an informative player, go inform your team you've been ejected for arguing balls and strikes.
Old Thu May 14, 2009, 11:21am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andy View Post
You think? If she liked it, maybe I should have given a hoo-hoo-hoo laugh to complete the Pillsbury Dough Boy image for her.