The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Sun Nov 17, 2002, 01:46pm
Official Forum Member

free thrower is delaying, or team huddling at free throw line, do they get warning, or no warning and a tee?
Old Sun Nov 17, 2002, 01:48pm
Official Forum Member

Delay warning.

As a side note, the technical would only come after a second violation of the FT delay rule (i.e., if they then interfered with the ball after a goal, that would be a separate warning).
Old Sun Nov 17, 2002, 03:05pm
In Memoriam

Lightbulb

Quote:
Originally posted by camster
free thrower is delaying, or team huddling at free throw line, do they get warning, or no warning and a tee?
camster,
I give a lot of room, ... a lot of room, on this before I warn. If they are just hittin' hands, it does bother me, but I judge that it doesn't bother me enough to T.

Then, before I warn, I may say something quietly in the lane.
mick
Old Sun Nov 17, 2002, 04:55pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by camster
By rule, if the free-thrower isn't ready, it's an immediate player T (10-3-7c).

If others on the team are delaying, it's a warning, then a team T (10-1-5c).

In practice, talk to the players, then issue the official warning, then T (it will rarely get this far).
Old Mon Nov 18, 2002, 11:29am
Official Forum Member

Smile HUSTLE

Personally, I hustle into the lane (from the lead position)and secure the rebound before it hits the floor. I have found that if I am catching the ball out of the net, players don't enter the lane to slap hands.... I'm ready to give the ball to the shooter for his second attempt and now they are noticeably slowing down the game if they enter the lane. It is easy for me, if I'm standing there with the ball, to say "Hold your positions." or "Here we go. One shot."

If they are slow witted and can't figure it out, I can always say "Gentlemen, I'm waiting for you. Let's go."

Later I could say "Gentlemen, didn't we already talk about this? You don't really really want me to walk over to the table and give your team a warning for delay. Let's hold your spots and shoot these free throws."
Old Mon Nov 18, 2002, 11:45am
In Memoriam

Re: HUSTLE

Quote:
Originally posted by DownTownTonyBrown
Personally, I hustle into the lane (from the lead position)and secure the rebound before it hits the floor. I have found that if I am catching the ball out of the net, players don't enter the lane to slap hands....
DownTown,
I was thinking that made a difference, but my scientific methond is inconclusive.
What do you do the other 40% of the time?
mick
Old Mon Nov 18, 2002, 12:22pm
Official Forum Member

40%

The other 40% of my time? When not playing in the forum or officiating? I'm an engineer that would sooner be officiating or ski patrolling or something else.

The other 40 % of the time when the players are slow witted and still enter the lane? There is always the condescending, I'm bored waiting for you look. And if they are men, I might call them ladies. "Are we ready to go yet girls? Anybody else need to share some secrets?" And with a smile "Then, let's play some ball!"

The other 40% of the time when they miss the front end of a two shot foul. I fight 'em off for the rebound... and generally say thank-you when I don't get it.
Old Mon Nov 18, 2002, 12:46pm
In Memoriam

Re: 40%

Quote:
Originally posted by DownTownTonyBrown
The other 40% of my time? When not playing in the forum or officiating? I'm an engineer that would sooner be officiating or ski patrolling or something else.

The other 40 % of the time when the players are slow witted and still enter the lane? There is always the condescending, I'm bored waiting for you look. And if they are men, I might call them ladies. "Are we ready to go yet girls? Anybody else need to share some secrets?" And with a smile "Then, let's play some ball!"

The other 40% of the time when they miss the front end of a two shot foul. I fight 'em off for the rebound... and generally say thank-you when I don't get it.
RE: Ski patrolling - 2" on the ground 180" average

RE: Bored, waiting look - I also use the WTF look.

RE: Out-rebounded - "Thank you, Miss."