The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Softball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Fri May 15, 2009, 01:18pm
Official Forum Member

Question illegal pitch

NFHS Rules.

1) F1 steps on the plate with the hands separate, ball in in hand. Uses her hand to adjust her glove, takes the sign, brings her hand together, pitches. I say two touches -- illegal pitch.

2) Same girl, steps onto the plate with hand separate, ball is in her hand. transfers the ball to the elbow crock of her glove arm, wipes sweat from her brow (it was a heat wave a nearly 61degrees) wipes/doesn't wipe her hand grabs the ball, takes sign, brings her hands .... illegal or not?

Coach thought I was looking for illegal acts -- well duhh.
Old Fri May 15, 2009, 01:33pm
Official Forum Member

IMO, both are boogers...
Old Fri May 15, 2009, 01:36pm
Official Forum Member

1) OOO.. especially since you knew she was making a glove adjustment.
2) was she applying a foreign substance to the ball? if so, illegal. but since it was cool maybe her forehead itched? or hair was tickling her forehead?. still sounds OOO to me.
Old Fri May 15, 2009, 01:38pm
Official Forum Member

1: I'd have an IP.
2: I'd have nothing.
Old Fri May 15, 2009, 01:51pm
Official Forum Member

You said NFHS, but at what level?

For sub-varsity, I'm not calling either of these; I'll mention #1 to the coach at the half inning.

For varsity, #2 is a nothing; #1 is technically illegal, and I'd probably call it at the varsity level. She needs to not do that with the ball in the hand while on the plate. Adjust her equipment, etc. before taking the pitcher's plate.

General comment: if this was a varsity pitcher, she needs to work on her plate discipline.
Old Fri May 15, 2009, 02:03pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by BuggBob View Post
NFHS Rules.

1) F1 steps on the plate with the hands separate, ball in in hand. Uses her hand to adjust her glove, takes the sign, brings her hand together, pitches. I say two touches -- illegal pitch.
Funny. About 10 days ago I Pm Wade about my sitch that was very similar to this one and his from last year. The stakes weren't as high as Wade's but they were pretty high. I was BU and partner made this call in bottom of the 9th inning. Only run of the game . It was conference championship game. playoff stuff blah, blah,blah. The visiting fans had some not so nice words for my partner as we were leaving the field.

The general consensus about this call in my area was ...OOO.
Old Fri May 15, 2009, 02:17pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chess Ref View Post
Funny. About 10 days ago I Pm Wade about my sitch that was very similar to this one and his from last year. The stakes weren't as high as Wade's but they were pretty high. I was BU and partner made this call in bottom of the 9th inning. Only run of the game . It was conference championship game. playoff stuff blah, blah,blah. The visiting fans had some not so nice words for my partner as we were leaving the field.

The general consensus about this call in my area was ...OOO.
and it still is... IMHO
Old Fri May 15, 2009, 03:09pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by wadeintothem View Post
IMO, both are boogers...
Not if she legally steps off the pitching plate.
Old Fri May 15, 2009, 03:40pm
Official Forum Member

I should clarify in #1 she was using the ball to push on the webbing of here glove to "get a better fit." In #2, it is not the wipe don't wipe but the transferring the ball to her glove arm elbow I am asking about. The wipe don't wipe thing is a dig on the weather here. 61 degrees is the hottest day so far the rain filled year.

This was a varsity game, the pitcher's coach wanted us to call it so that the pitcher would stop. He's view is that while some impires wont call it, some will, and if thoses that will working a critical game....
Old Fri May 15, 2009, 04:21pm
Official Forum Member

The first situation is an illegal pitch by the rules and should be called.
Old Fri May 15, 2009, 07:59pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by marvin View Post
The first situation is an illegal pitch by the rules and should be called.
Yeah, no doubt illegal - and I've called this type of situation before. After some thought and now that I'm at home thinking on it, instead of at work - You probably gotta call this one. I think #2 is definately OOO though. Once the hands separate, its illegal. Just hope bases arently loaded, bottom of 7 2 outs with a tie score in a championship game when she adjusts her webbing; then you might get an appreciation of just how supported you might be in your IP call.
Old Fri May 15, 2009, 10:20pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by BuggBob View Post
NFHS Rules.

2) Same girl, steps onto the plate with hand separate, ball is in her hand. transfers the ball to the elbow crock of her glove arm, wipes sweat from her brow (it was a heat wave a nearly 61degrees) wipes/doesn't wipe her hand grabs the ball, takes sign, brings her hands .... illegal or not?

Coach thought I was looking for illegal acts -- well duhh.
Bob, they've already had SPRING in other places, so they didn't understand the nearly 61 degrees deal.

I actually had a pitcher today (5/15/09) say it was HOT. Of course, we were playing on ARTIFICIAL TURF, which we all know makes things even hotter, so it was a good 65 degrees at the field today. So warm that I didn't even take my coat out of the car!

This weekend the temperature is supposed to get into something called "The 70s." I missed them first time around.

Oh. The #1, definite IP. It will be called in the playoffs. I know. I had the game winning RBI in a state tournament game (third place game) over this very thing. They did score two more runs later in the game, so I didn't have the only RBI, just the first one. I had called this same thing on same pitcher earlier in the tournament (day before), so it's not like she didn't know.

#2, I got her wiping her brow because she's sweating. Otherwise, nothing.
Old Sat May 16, 2009, 12:04am
Official Forum Member

1. sounds like a "gotcha call". does the call fit the situation? (Wade knows this) will your immediate supervisor support your decision? (Wade knows this too) 'nough said. From responses, different jury, different verdict.
2. nothing
Old Sat May 16, 2009, 12:31am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ronald View Post
1. sounds like a "gotcha call". does the call fit the situation? (Wade knows this) will your immediate supervisor support your decision? (Wade knows this too) 'nough said. From responses, different jury, different verdict.
2. nothing
Why does 1. sound like a "gotcha call"? By rule the double touch is an illegal pitch.

Why is 2. nothing if F1 didn't wipe the sweat from her hand before grasping the ball again?
Old Sat May 16, 2009, 06:23am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by MichaelVA2000 View Post
...Why is 2. nothing if F1 didn't wipe the sweat from her hand before grasping the ball again?
Where is the rule requiring this?