The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Softball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Fri May 08, 2009, 06:39am
Official Forum Member

Send a message via ICQ to shipwreck
Come on. With the millions of combinations for names a person could use, why change the "S" to a "5". Get your own identity. Dave
Old Fri May 08, 2009, 07:36am
Official Forum Member

It might be our lovely coach.. not sure why he picked me and irish to impersonate names.. it was altumpsteve that was the big bully.
Old Fri May 08, 2009, 10:22am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by wadeintothem View Post
...IMO ASA ignores 3BL Extended to our detriment and for that play, that is the best position, and it is a teachable position for that play. It could be in a little diagram and everything
I don't disagree with you that 3BL extended is a good spot to rule on the swipe tag and it is a teachable mechanic. Here is the key...

Quote:
Originally Posted by SethPDX
...if you have experience and know when to use it it's a great position.
The CCA manual is written for the experienced umpire and one of the goals of the SUIP is to get umpires to "think" and adjust to plays rather than just going to a set position for any a given play.

ASA does not have the luxury of only providing mechanics to "experienced" umpires like the SUIP does. ASA has chosen to teach a base set of mechanics and expect all of their umpires to follow them. This way, an experienced umpire can work with a newbie and they both follow the same set of mechanics.

Do I think the CCA mechanics are better? Personally, yes.

Do I think that ASA should allow for some flexibility in their prescribed mechanics when experienced umpires are working together (like at nationals)? Yes.

However, in my experience at "national" tournaments, both ASA and others, I would not put some of those "experienced" on a local 10U rec game!

So I can understand ASA's position of having one set of mechanics for all umpires. Maybe it will change someday. Until then, I'll follow ASA mechanics when working ASA games.
Old Fri May 08, 2009, 10:44am
Official Forum Member

Location: The Land Of The Free and The Home Of The Brave (MD/DE)
Thumbs down

Quote:
Originally Posted by shipwreck View Post
Come on. With the millions of combinations for names a person could use, why change the "S" to a "5". Get your own identity. Dave
I think the moderator should kill that id.
Old Fri May 08, 2009, 10:45am
Archaic Power Monger

Quote:
Originally Posted by CecilOne View Post
I think the moderator should kill that id.
I just reported the post, so hopefully one of the admins will delete the user.
Old Fri May 08, 2009, 03:29pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by wadeintothem View Post
That sucks, thought I was the only one cool enough for a personal stalker.
I always miss the good posts!
Old Fri May 08, 2009, 03:33pm
Official Forum Member

I couldn't find the button to change my name to IR1SHMAFIA... darnit.
Old Fri May 08, 2009, 03:42pm
Archaic Power Monger

Quote:
Originally Posted by SethPDX View Post
I always miss the good posts!
Nah, you didn't miss much. It was a pretty lame attempt at trolling. I give it an F--- in effort and creativity.
Old Fri May 08, 2009, 03:53pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Welpe View Post
Nah, you didn't miss much. It was a pretty lame attempt at trolling. I give it an F--- in effort and creativity.
Hey now, you dont have to player hate just because I had a impersonator stalker fan and you didnt!
Old Fri May 08, 2009, 08:58pm
Official Forum Member

Let me see if "lRlSHMAFlA" (with lower case Ls) is taken...
Old Tue Jun 16, 2009, 10:39pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ronald View Post
Well, correct me if I am am wrong but ASA says start at a 90 degree to the tag and adjust as necessary. So I could envision an ump moving to the point of the plate extended and see the play adequately. Plus, I have done it.

New DVD (ASA Championship mechanics) says to adjust so as to have an unobstructed view.

Would I like to start at tip of plate and adjust? Yeah but when in Rome do as the Romans do.
The FED mechanic would essentially be the same.

Softball in the Bible
"In the big-inning"

Old Tue Jun 16, 2009, 10:52pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by NCASAUmp View Post
Doesn't sound like 3BL extended to me... Sounds more like 3BL Not Extended Enough.
Humor here. At the school, Kevin is explaining how ASA does not have its umpires smothering plays like other orgs. He is leaning against a logo of the ...
Quite funny.
Old Tue Jun 16, 2009, 11:18pm
Official Forum Member

Can you guys explain how from 3bl extended you can tell if the swipe tag touched the backside of a player. Front side yes. But a tag could miss by an inch and look like a tag. Now you are guessing. This is or almost the exact same position one has at first base on a swipe tag.

What am I missing? I am confused.

Now, I saw a major league ump go on the first base line, batter's box area, catcher up the 3rd base line blocking side of plate and makes a swipe tag. Draw it on paper and see his line of vision. Sweet! When the tag was made, he was probably quite close to a 90 degree angle to point of tag. Now all four elements of the play are in front of you and you have the angle to see a microscopic tag or miss on the swipe. Can't see that from 3blxtnded. No way on this "green earth"
Old Wed Jun 17, 2009, 12:18am
Official Forum Member

No position offers a full 360 view of all positions possible of a play.

I think when discussing 3BL, it is simply a tool that should be in the tool box depending on how you read a play.

I call it catering to the lowest common denominator - ASA's mechanics are minimum and set to what can be taught to 36K umpires and does not recognize an advanced level of umpiring who could benefit from other tools in the tool box.

When 200 guys are sitting in a room stuffing fried bread in their face and wondering what they should do if a ball bounces off a UFO and lands in the field of play - they need nice canned mechanics that are simple, consistent, and easy to explain and grasp and easy to put in a power point with a little moving dude animated thereon.

This is detrimental to those who can adjust and are at a higher level of officiating.

3BL (on a wide turning base runner rounding 3rd with a ball coming from deep infield or outfield), Davis stance (when screened by a catcher), Foul side calls at 1B (when heavy traffic interferes with regular positioning) and even at times 3B, moving in closer on a tag play when necessary (4th dimension/crowding), Rimming (IMO in 3man only), BU rotating home in 2 man (when he is no longer employed), etc.

I think ASA mechanics should be expanded and shouldnt remove tools simply to stay with the canned porklike substance version of mechanics.

Whether for a particular play 3BL extended or 1B box is better - hey I'll go for that - you show me how and I think "great job" on adjusting to the developing play and reading your best spot.

Unfortunately, likely an evaluator would not.. so stand your ground where ASA has placed the X on the field and do the best you can and you will fare much better in eval and not have to explain yourself.

Last edited by wadeintothem; Wed Jun 17, 2009 at 12:21am.
Old Wed Jun 17, 2009, 07:45am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ronald View Post
Can you guys explain how from 3bl extended you can tell if the swipe tag touched the backside of a player. Front side yes. But a tag could miss by an inch and look like a tag. Now you are guessing. This is or almost the exact same position one has at first base on a swipe tag.

What am I missing? I am confused.
The bane of the 3BL is, IMO, a reliance on the play developing is a particular fashion. Unfortunately, adjustments by catcher and/or runner due to an off-target throw can place the umpire in a bad position.

Quote:
Now, I saw a major league ump go on the first base line, batter's box area, catcher up the 3rd base line blocking side of plate and makes a swipe tag. Draw it on paper and see his line of vision. Sweet! When the tag was made, he was probably quite close to a 90 degree angle to point of tag. Now all four elements of the play are in front of you and you have the angle to see a microscopic tag or miss on the swipe. Can't see that from 3blxtnded. No way on this "green earth"
I believe I mentioned this a month or so ago, but wasn't sure if that was going to become the standard. Since then, I have noticed quite a few umpires moving around the LH BB for plays at home. The other night (think it was a Philadelphia game) there was a play at the plate where the runner was sliding straight into the plate while the catcher was trying to get a handle on the throw. At the 3BL position, the umpire would not see the ball come loose or whether the runner ever touched the plate. Luckily, the umpire did move up the 1BL and got a great view of the play.