The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Thu Feb 08, 2001, 09:57pm
Official Forum Member

Unhappy

I consider all of you fellow pilgrims on the road to Basketball Referee Mecca. What happened to me. Two nights ago I officiated a boys JV game and the following happened all in the same game:

I was trail: On my side of the basket, down low, I saw Player B1 push (with hands) A1 in the back as A1 was going up for rebound - No whistle.

Later I was trail, on my side of the basket, down low I saw player B2 push A2 in the back as A2 was going up for lay up. No whistle - A2 made basket.

Third quarter I was lead, lower left corner - A3 made three point attempt - basket was good. No 3- point indication and I failed to correct score.

Fourth quarter - Player A4 dribbling holds hand up like running back pushing away defender, again no whistle.

What happened to me? These were all my calls, but I swallowed my whistle or went blank. Has this every happened to any of you? I thought I would put it all behind me and go on, but I am bugged by my performance. Andy words of encouragement from you veterans - by the way, this is my fourth year of officiating and I love it.

Dennis
Old Thu Feb 08, 2001, 10:01pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by Dennis Nicely
Any words of encouragement from you veterans - by the way, this is my fourth year of officiating and I love it.
I hear there's a big demand for volleyball officials!

"You should never be proud of doing the right thing." - Dean Smith
Old Fri Feb 09, 2001, 12:27am
Official Forum Member

This happens to all officials when they are not focussed on the game-sometimes an official will be really sharp in the first half and maybe because he was joking or not maintaining concentration during half time will come into the second half and not be able to get into it at all. You have to prepare yourself mentally for every game from having a good pre-game with your partner to an equally focussed half-time discussion -again- only with your partner- followed by a short post-game with your partner. Do this as a habit and you will overcome those embarrassing lapses- believe me we've all had them. FOCUS on what you are there for at all times!!!
Old Fri Feb 09, 2001, 10:10am
Official Forum Member

I think you need to go to some camps. 4th year official, its time to step-up. Also Peter is right on about the pre-game. even if its by yourself.
Old Fri Feb 09, 2001, 11:21am
Official Forum Member

Bart,

Regarding your comment that I should "go to some camps. 4th year official, it's time to step up" Did you mean that by attending some officiating camps, I would learn how to avoid these lapses in focus in future games. Does stepping it up mean that in your opinion the incidents I described indicate to you that I am not taking my officiating responsibilities seriously? PLease elaborate, I am guessing here.