The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Fri Feb 10, 2006, 09:07am
Official Forum Member

My season is going pretty good. In our Assoc. we get rated everytime we work by the varsity officials. My ratings are looking good, actually great for a 2 yr ref. So my head is all big and swollen. I can barely get it in some of the gyms. Rating me last night is a guy with a 25 years of experience and is just a very solid and competent ref. I want to do well.
At halftime he is talking about I need to close down as lead, better angles yada,yada. 2 minutes into 3rd Qtr. Player A drives, goes up, Player B gets all ball, great block, A comes back down still holding the ball. I see it, the game slows down to a crawl. I tweet. And then I give the signal for ....travelling. I still have no clue what prompted me to come up with travelling. After the screaming, laughing, fingerpointing, namecalling is done I just want to go back into the locker room and crawl in a smelly locker for the rest of the night. I finish the game . i hang around for the V game and they were cool about my kicked call. Basically they gave me the ugh kicked calls happen spiel and remember how it felt, and try not to do it again.

There I feel better now.
Old Fri Feb 10, 2006, 09:10am
Official Forum Member

LOL, good description. The game keeps us all humble doesn't it?

Z
Old Fri Feb 10, 2006, 09:18am
Official Forum Member

I had a brain fart last night as well. V game with about 4 minutes remaining. Home is bringing the ball up, visiting coach jumps up with his hands above his head in a diamond shape, which at first I thought was a T shape so I tried granting the time out. We got it right, IW, but I felt like a busher.
Old Fri Feb 10, 2006, 11:48pm
Official Forum Member

**itty calls happen

Blowout game tonight, halfcourt, a kid on the visiting team with the big lead takes a high dribble, right by the bleachers. Everyone screams for the carry. Then he picks up the dribble, he pivots, steps across halfcourt and back, and I'm thinking I've got an over-and-back call. Except he was in the backcourt, and never had all three points across. Too late, I'd already blown the whistle. So I took the weenie way out and called the carry--a few seconds late--rather than admit that I blew the whistle for no good reason. The fans all laughed, and a guy said, "We talked you into that one!" All I could think was, two wrong calls don't make a right! What would I have done if the game was on the line? Inadvertent whistle, I guess.
Old Sat Feb 11, 2006, 01:37am
Official Forum Member

A regular Blazing Saddles campfire of player brain farts last night. Late in the fourth quarter and things are getting a little ragged. We are shooting the second of two free throws and miss. An opposing player gets the rebound and goes to put it right back up into our basket. One of my kids comes running over to challenge the shot and is about to foul the shooter. How do I know? Because I have a new grey hair for each and every time he has done it in practice and games this season.

At the last second he finally must hear my voice in his head telling him to contest shots but not to foul. He doesn't foul but he is successful at disrupting the shot - at our basket. Nice time for the lesson to finally sink in eh?

By the way, would this have been a shooting foul?

[Edited by bebanovich on Feb 11th, 2006 at 01:45 AM]
Old Sat Feb 11, 2006, 01:46am
Keeper of the HAMMER

bebanovich, had it happened, it would not have been a shooting foul, by rule. However, don't be too surprised if a ref kicks it and give him free throws. It's one of those plays that catches everyone off guard.
Old Sat Feb 11, 2006, 07:24am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by Chess Ref
2 minutes into 3rd Qtr. Player A drives, goes up, Player B gets all ball, great block, A comes back down still holding the ball. I see it, the game slows down to a crawl. I tweet. And then I give the signal for ....travelling.
OK, maybe I'm not seeing this properly. Why is this not a travel? Does B keep his hand on the ball throughout the block and therefore it should have been a held ball? (4-25-2)

Otherwise 4-43-3-b says this is a travel, if A doesn't release the ball, (in which case it's nothing).
Old Sat Feb 11, 2006, 07:31am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by Jimgolf
Quote:
2 minutes into 3rd Qtr. Player A drives, goes up, Player B gets all ball, great block, A comes back down still holding the ball. I see it, the game slows down to a crawl. I tweet. And then I give the signal for ....travelling.
OK, maybe I'm not seeing this properly. Why is this not a travel? Does B keep his hand on the ball throughout the block and therefore it should have been a held ball? (4-25-2)

Otherwise 4-43-3-b says this is a travel, if A doesn't release the ball, (in which case it's nothing).
If A1 was prevented in releasing the ball (which is hiow I interpret the word "block"), then it's a held ball.

If it was just a mere touching of the ball and A1 chose not to release teh ball, then it's a travel.
Old Sat Feb 11, 2006, 07:44am
Official Forum Member

Yes A1 was clearly prevented from releasing the ball.I have no doubt I should have tweeted and signaled a held ball.
Old Sat Feb 11, 2006, 03:27pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
My season is going pretty good. In our Assoc. we get rated everytime we work by the varsity officials. My ratings are looking good, actually great for a 2 yr ref. So my head is all big and swollen. I can barely get it in some of the gyms. Rating me last night is a guy with a 25 years of experience and is just a very solid and competent ref. I want to do well.
At halftime he is talking about I need to close down as lead, better angles yada,yada. 2 minutes into 3rd Qtr. Player A drives, goes up, Player B gets all ball, great block, A comes back down still holding the ball. I see it, the game slows down to a crawl. I tweet. And then I give the signal for ....travelling. I still have no clue what prompted me to come up with travelling. After the screaming, laughing, fingerpointing, namecalling is done I just want to go back into the locker room and crawl in a smelly locker for the rest of the night. I finish the game . i hang around for the V game and they were cool about my kicked call. Basically they gave me the ugh kicked calls happen spiel and remember how it felt, and try not to do it again.

There I feel better now.
It should have been jump? Or am I missing something?

Rita
Old Sat Feb 11, 2006, 03:51pm
Fav theme: Roundball Rock

Quote:
Originally posted by Rita C
It should have been jump? Or am I missing something?

Rita
Nope, you're not missing anything. The correct call is a held ball.
Old Mon Feb 13, 2006, 10:27am
Official Forum Member

Let me add my Brain Fart from Saturday afternoon. Girls Freshman Tourney game. Free Throw. I tell the ladies (correctly) that its a 1 and 1. Except, I adminsiter it as a 2 shot foul. Don't ask me why. Of course, the girl missed the shot and I'm in perfect position to box out the rebounder and get the ball. Fortunately, the girl gets the ball anyway, because she was over the back LOL.

I blew my whistle, and gave her team the ball at point of interruption. Boy was I embarrassed. I told the Asst AD at the table as I ran by that I needed one more rebound for a triple double and got carried away. Everyone laughed and that broke the tension.
Old Mon Feb 13, 2006, 03:09pm
Official Forum Member

Another Brain Fart

Boys B-game before Boys Varsity, last week. Home coach was a treat to work for, visiting coach was an ***. Inside a minute left, home down by 7 trying to score on drive then a put back. I'm trail on bench side. Home coach wants TO if they score. "Gotta ask after you score, coach". They don't score. Next possesion, they come down and nail a 3 to go down by 4. I'm T, opposite benches and blow my whistle and grant home coach a TO. Only problem is, home coach is sitting on the bench with his arm around a player explaining something and not even watching the freaking game. I never looked, heard a TO request or anything, no idea at all why I blew my whistle. Home coach looks up at me, smiles and nods. The visiting coach is screaming "He didn't even ask for a TO!" I go to table and report the TO for the home team, go to visiting coach and tell him I had an inadvertent whistle, my mistake but now the home team gets the TO. "Sorry coach, I screwed up." Visiting team ends up winning so no harm done.

You know how sometimes the coaches want to help us officiate, I guess I just wanted to do the same and help the home coach coach. Varsity game went fine.