The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Softball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Fri May 08, 2009, 01:23pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Welpe View Post
Hey isn't "he needed killin'" still a valid defense of a homicide charge in NC?
Not as far as I know! I thought that was the defense in TX...

Actually, in NC, we still have the "Castle Doctrine." If someone's in the process of breaking into your home with the intent of committing a felony, you have the right to shoot them through the door, window, wall, etc. Once they are inside the home, the rules change.

That's why the first cartridge in my 12 gauge is a slug. After that, 00 buck shot.

Am I mean?

I haven't decided if I should call it from the dugout or the outfield. Apparently, both have really great views!

Screw green, it ain't easy being blue!

I won't be coming here that much anymore. I might check in now and again.
Old Fri May 08, 2009, 01:32pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by IRISHMAFIA View Post
And battery!

I walk up to you on the street and intentionally knock you to the ground, I'm guilty of a crime. If you die, manslaughter is definitely in the cards, even if unintentional.

Wait a minute, you are in LA. Nevermind, in LA, everything goes!
Well, not everything, but close!
Doubtful that you could get assault and /or battery charges filed in softball game (that does have train wrecks) during/in the course of a play.
After the play when the fists start flying... thats a whole 'nother thang.
But, thats just me picking nits.
BTW: i've never been "convicted" of feeding anyone to any "alleged" gators. I was out of town on that date.
Old Fri May 08, 2009, 01:33pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by NCASAUmp View Post
Not as far as I know! I thought that was the defense in TX...

Actually, in NC, we still have the "Castle Doctrine." If someone's in the process of breaking into your home with the intent of committing a felony, you have the right to shoot them through the door, window, wall, etc. Once they are inside the home, the rules change.

That's why the first cartridge in my 12 gauge is a slug. After that, 00 buck shot.

Am I mean?
man.. we dont even have that.... we shoot em thru the walls ... then drag them inside the house.
Old Fri May 08, 2009, 01:38pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by CajunNewBlue View Post
Well, not everything, but close!
Doubtful that you could get assault and /or battery charges filed in softball game (that does have train wrecks) during/in the course of a play.
Please note that I said "intentionally". Since crashing into and bowling over a player is not part of the softball game, then the runner is no longer playing softball.

Quote:
After the play when the fists start flying... thats a whole 'nother thang.
But, thats just me picking nits.
BTW: i've never been "convicted" of feeding anyone to any "alleged" gators. I was out of town on that date.
Alleged? Boy, oops, I'm sorry. Didn't mean to offend you . Son,...damn, there I go again. Mr. CNB, there is absolutely nothing alleged about the gators in LA or any other area in the South.
Old Fri May 08, 2009, 02:05pm
Ref Ump Welsch

Quote:
Originally Posted by SethPDX View Post

We tell off one jack@zz, we get another. Life goes on...
Thus the average night for a slow-pitch umpire doing rec leagues.
Old Fri May 08, 2009, 02:18pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by IRISHMAFIA View Post
Please note that I said "intentionally". Since crashing into and bowling over a player is not part of the softball game, then the runner is no longer playing softball.

Alleged? Boy, oops, I'm sorry. Didn't mean to offend you . Son,...damn, there I go again. Mr. CNB, there is absolutely nothing alleged about the gators in LA or any other area in the South.
LOL...ok old-timer.. erm, i mean Mr. IRI5HMAFIA ....erm, I mean Mr. IRISHMAFIA... I gotta stop watching those lawyer shows with the wife...you'd think after 3-4 years of it I'd at least get the terminologies (sp) correct. You'd think.

Still don't agree about someone filing criminal charges for that. but then again no one asked me.
Old Fri May 08, 2009, 02:23pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by CajunNewBlue View Post
LOL...ok old-timer.. erm, i mean Mr. IRI5HMAFIA ....erm, I mean Mr. IRISHMAFIA... I gotta stop watching those lawyer shows with the wife...you'd think after 3-4 years of it I'd at least get the terminologies (sp) correct. You'd think.

Still don't agree about someone filing criminal charges for that. but then again no one asked me.
If I were playing softball, and some guy intentionally leveled me on the field, leaving me injured and with medical bills, yeah, I would file charges. Then I'd sue his a$$.

I haven't decided if I should call it from the dugout or the outfield. Apparently, both have really great views!

Old Fri May 08, 2009, 02:28pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by NCASAUmp View Post
If I were playing softball, and some guy intentionally leveled me on the field, leaving me injured and with medical bills, yeah, I would file charges. Then I'd sue his a$$.
by the time my team was done with him... i'd pass on the criminal charges. but thats just me.
Old Fri May 08, 2009, 02:40pm
Official Forum Member

First Baseman Obstructing Runner

So we can all agree then that a first baseman can get in the way of a the player running to first base when he does not have the ball. The baserunner should then yield to the first baseman, slow down, and allow the first baseman to get in his way while he waits for the ball. So this provides a clear advantage to the first baseman in slowing up the base runner and giving himself a clear advantage slowing down the runner. Why not come down the first baseline a few more steps and really give yourself, as the first baseman. an even better advantage?
Old Fri May 08, 2009, 02:43pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mashie59 View Post
So we can all agree then that a first baseman can get in the way of a the player running to first base when he does not have the ball. The baserunner should then yield to the first baseman, slow down, and allow the first baseman to get in his way while he waits for the ball. So this provides a clear advantage to the first baseman in slowing up the base runner and giving himself a clear advantage slowing down the runner. Why not come down the first baseline a few more steps and really give yourself, as the first baseman. an even better advantage?
*sigh*

No. Are you even reading this thread? If a runner is obstructed, they're awarded the base they would have reached had there been no obstruction.

In my opinion, the runner should make an attempt to avoid contact. If I see them barrel a fielder over for ANY reason, I've got an ejection coming.

Old Fri May 08, 2009, 02:48pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
So we can all agree then that a first baseman can get in the way of a the player running to first base when he does not have the ball.
Other than you, no one has made such a comment.

Quote:
The baserunner should then yield to the first baseman, slow down, and allow the first baseman to get in his way while he waits for the ball.
Absolutely.

Quote:
So this provides a clear advantage to the first baseman in slowing up the base runner and giving himself a clear advantage slowing down the runner. Why not come down the first baseline a few more steps and really give yourself, as the first baseman. an even better advantage?
That is why there are rules in the game and those rules do not include physical assaults of other players. As any 9th grader knows, that would be obstruction which protects the offense from being put out between the bases where this obstruction occurred. This apparently obscure (to you) rule even allows the umpire to award the runner any additional bases the runner would have attained safely, in the umpire's judgment, had the obstruction not occurred. However, this rule is void if the obstructed runner commits an act of interference. D'oh ! !

Thank you for playing.

Last edited by IRISHMAFIA; Fri May 08, 2009 at 02:50pm.
Old Fri May 08, 2009, 02:49pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
I never agreed to that.
Old Fri May 08, 2009, 02:50pm
Official Forum Member

I smell something under the bridge... What is that familiar scent?

Old Fri May 08, 2009, 02:56pm
Official Forum Member

Okay, so a player can physically assault a secind baseman as he slides into second .... no matter how wide and sweeps out his feet in order to break up a double-play ...... and when a catcher has the ball and we are running home .... and the catcher is blocking the plate we can knock him back and as long as he's still holding the ball .... the runner is only called out. Quite truthfully .... when I played baseball .... I was looking forward to you being in my way. It's perfectly legal.
Old Fri May 08, 2009, 02:58pm
Official Forum Member

Uh... I'm done with this guy. He's either a troll, or he only hears what he wants to hear.

Or both.

This ain't baseball, guy. This is softball. I don't care what happens in baseball.