The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Softball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Fri May 08, 2009, 03:00pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mashie59 View Post
Okay, so a player can physically assault a secind baseman as he slides into second .
Yes

Quote:
... no matter how wide and sweeps out his feet in order to break up a double-play .
No, and it is no even in MLB

Quote:
..... and when a catcher has the ball and we are running home .... and the catcher is blocking the plate we can knock him back and as long as he's still holding the ball
No

Quote:
.... the runner is only called out. Quite truthfully .... when I played baseball .
This isn't baseball

Quote:
... I was looking forward to you being in my way. It's perfectly legal.
Guess what?
Old Fri May 08, 2009, 03:45pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Okay, so a player can physically assault a secind baseman as he slides into second .... no matter how wide and sweeps out his feet in order to break up a double-play ...... and when a catcher has the ball and we are running home .... and the catcher is blocking the plate we can knock him back and as long as he's still holding the ball .... the runner is only called out. Quite truthfully .... when I played baseball .... I was looking forward to you being in my way. It's perfectly legal.
I laughed so hard at this one...keep 'em coming!

Sure, you can do any of those things. Then I can determine if any rules were violated and impose the appropriate penalties.
Old Fri May 08, 2009, 09:27pm
Official Forum Member

Call me a troll ..... argue that you will sue me and take my home away .... you fat old pot-bellied men can stick these facts in your pipes. Support your arguments from experts in the industry outside your own "self-proclaimed expertise." Note that the softball industry expert Dr. Ambrose points out that "Next game ump said we had to just run on top of her and knock her down. "

Softball: Can first baseman stand in baseline when runner running to first?, offensive players, defensive player

Softball - Can first baseman stand in baseline when runner running to first?

Expert: Dr. Mark R. Ambrose - 4/9/2007

Question
My daughter has been playing softball for years and started playing this spring in 10 and under fast pitch. We had two games this weekend, both umpires told us something different on this occurance. After the ball was hit by our team, the first baseman on the other team stood on first base facing the batter in the baseline. Our girl didn't know what to do as she was blocking the base and of course didn't want to run right over her causing injury to both of them. Ump in one game said for keep running to first and they would call it interference (by the first baseman) and we would be safe. Next game ump said we had to just run on top of her and knock her down. Isn't there a standard rule on this that players can not block the base by standing directly in the baseline?

http://www.eteamz.com/lowerperkll/fi...terference.pdf

Second, the runner always has the right to the base path, except when required to avoid a fielder in the act of fielding a batted ball, or if a fielder is in possession of the ball and is waiting to make a tag,. (The base path is not restricted to a straight line between the bases, either, but shall be interpreted by the umpire as a path reasonably taken by a runner in advancing in such a situation, such as “rounding” a base when advancing to the next, or trying to advance to second after running through first when an overthrow occurs.)

1st base

Re: 1st base

I'm always telling 1b when I'm out there or even if I'm coaching at 1b to give the runner part of the bag...

Well, if you're talking LL, that's not necessarily good advice. Unlike high school ball under FED rules, the Obstruction rule in LL requires the fielder to give the runner complete, unimpeded access to the entire base. A fielder who gives "part of the bag" to the runner could still be guilty of Obstruction if he doesn't have the ball or is trying to field a batted ball. By giving only part of the bag, it causes the runner to have to guess which part is open to him, and he could guess wrong and still get blocked from the bag by the fielder's foot or leg. That's Obstruction in LL.
Old Fri May 08, 2009, 09:44pm
Official Forum Member

Oh geesh!!! I have to apologize if we are only talking about softball which has always been primarily a ladies activity where you throw the ball underhand .... although the gals who play it do all fall into the "Butch" category. So yes, I agree ..... and you should say "Excuse me" if the first basewoman is blocking your path.
Old Fri May 08, 2009, 09:54pm
Official Forum Member

Dude

Quote:
Oh geesh!!! I have to apologize if we are only talking about softball which has always been primarily a ladies activity where you throw the ball underhand .... although the gals who play it do all fall into the "Butch" category. So yes, I agree ..... and you should say "Excuse me" if the first basewoman is blocking your path.
Someone on this board has obviously torqued you but this is over the top. Why don't you remove that post and just leave well enough alone.
Thanks

Softball in the Bible
"In the big-inning"

Old Fri May 08, 2009, 09:54pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Wow! This definitely comes under the heading of: "better to keep your mouth shut and let people wonder about your intelligence than to open it and prove your stupidity."
Old Fri May 08, 2009, 11:04pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Say hello to the piano man for me. See ya!
Old Sat May 09, 2009, 02:30am
Official Forum Member

Talking Aaaahahaha!

This guy is on fire! Where does he get his material? It's priceless. I doubt it will be here tomorrow, though.

But seriously, folks: linking to an eteamz post to prove a point? Really?
Old Sat May 09, 2009, 08:01am
Official Forum Member

I wonder if he's aware that eteamz is NOT an officiating site, but a coaching site (with a few umpires sprinkled around just for good luck). And we all know just how well-versed coaches are with the rule book...

I haven't decided if I should call it from the dugout or the outfield. Apparently, both have really great views!

Screw green, it ain't easy being blue!

I won't be coming here that much anymore. I might check in now and again.
Old Sun May 10, 2009, 01:02pm
Official Forum Member

Has anyone ever seen consistency in one umpire to the next? How about we simply agree to disagree and there are these areas of ruling that are very abstract in interpretation that definitiely need more granularity. Let's not piss off an umpire or he or she will work the rules against our team and the abstraction of rules allows them to do this. I don't care where you are officiating .... and wherever you are officiating a game .... you love the feeling of being empowered by control. It's that simple.
Old Sun May 10, 2009, 09:14pm
Official Forum Member

In my view, running over players because they're "in the way" sounds a lot like malicious contact--not a very abstract area of the rule book if you actually take the time to read it. I would hope there is a great deal of consistency in how that rule is applied.

Sorry you washed out of baseball before you made The Show, but the softball field is not the place to take out your frustrations.

To your last point, heck yes I like the feeling I get when I keep a difficult situation under control. When that situation involves a player or coach convinced s/he knows the rule better than I do, but is really a complete ignoramus, it feels even better.
Old Sun May 10, 2009, 10:02pm
Official Forum Member

Here's what I think of mashie59's comments...

YouTube Clip

I haven't decided if I should call it from the dugout or the outfield. Apparently, both have really great views!

Screw green, it ain't easy being blue!

I won't be coming here that much anymore. I might check in now and again.