The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Softball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Wed Apr 15, 2009, 09:53pm
Official Forum Member

I'd just as soon leave it at lore now.. its better that way...
Old Wed Apr 15, 2009, 10:01pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by MNBlue View Post
Kent Hrbek playing 1B for the Minnesota Twins
Ron Gant, runner at 1B for the Atlanta Braves

IT WAS A GREAT PLAY BY HRBEK!
One of the more creative signs I've seen during a TV broadcast:

"Hey, Hrbek. Buy a vowel!"
Old Wed Apr 15, 2009, 11:57pm
Archaic Power Monger

Quote:
Originally Posted by wadeintothem View Post
I must say find it hard to believe and dare I say a little offensive he is trying to take my title with this lil ole call. Until you got riots, newspapers, sprawled wailing girls devestated for life literally spontaneously preaborting en masse their first borns right on the field...

Please step aside, the king of the worst call still reigns.
Legend has it there were at least three full ride D-I scholarships revoked on the spot after that game. But...that is just what I hear.
Old Thu Apr 16, 2009, 08:59am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
PFFFFFTT

We umpires will be the judge of that and...

You didnt even rate a "That was horrible" or "Let the girls decide the game"?

Your weak sauce call deserves no award.

Try again next time.

So you're telling me that some Community College coach doesn't have the authority to give me the "Worst Call" Award?

Dang, you just broke my heart.

I to think you should re-tell your story of woe (it didn't happen to me, so it's funny).
Old Thu Apr 16, 2009, 09:26am
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to argodad
Quote:
Originally Posted by MNBlue View Post
Kent Hrbek playing 1B for the Minnesota Twins
Ron Gant, runner at 1B for the Atlanta Braves

IT WAS A GREAT PLAY BY HRBEK!
Best sign at that World Series: "Hey HRBEK -- buy a vowel" (Edited to add this. I remembered it too, Tru in Blu. Should have kept reading before chiming in.)

Last edited by argodad; Thu Apr 16, 2009 at 09:28am.
Old Thu Apr 16, 2009, 10:37am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by BuggBob View Post
So you're telling me that some Community College coach doesn't have the authority to give me the "Worst Call" Award?

Dang, you just broke my heart.

I to think you should re-tell your story of woe (it didn't happen to me, so it's funny).
Now that you have brought up Community College coaches.....

I'm working a Jr College game a few years ago, I'm BU, batter hits a line drive in the gap for an easy double, as BR is rounding second, she bumps into F6 just kind of standing there watching the ball being thrown back into the pitcher. I put the left arm out to signal obstruction. BR returns to second. SInce this was the first year of the "rounding and returning" obstruction rule in NCAA, I call out to my partner that I have an obstruction warning on F6.

Here comes the defensive coach....

What was that call?
Obstruction, coach..on your shortstop. The runner bumped into her after rounding second.
He looks at me like he wants to say something, but can't find the words.
He asks F6 - Where were you? (like this makes a difference)
He looks at me again and starts to say something, then turns to go back to his dugout.
About halfway there, he stops, turns around and yells at me..."Don't abuse the rule!"
Old Thu Apr 16, 2009, 01:34pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Welpe View Post
Legend has it there were at least three full ride D-I scholarships revoked on the spot after that game. But...that is just what I hear.
Legend also has it that there were at least three full ride drama scholarships offered on the spot after that game. But...that is just what's churning in the rumor mill.
Old Thu Apr 16, 2009, 01:51pm
Official Forum Member

AKA - How to go from UCLA Bruins to Stockton's Detla College Rhino's in one easy call.
Old Thu Apr 16, 2009, 02:40pm
Ref Ump Welsch

Quote:
AKA - How to go from UCLA Bruins to Stockton's Detla College Rhino's in one easy call.
I thought it was How to go from UCLA Bruins to Nairobi Prison.
Old Thu Apr 16, 2009, 05:19pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
That player should count herself lucky. Did she know what the penalty would have been in a YSISF game?
Old Sun Apr 19, 2009, 04:48am
Official Forum Member

Send a message via Skype™ to ukumpire
Had a Cadette (U13) Tournament game: Bunt down 1st, each and every D goes for it, plus I have the BR running down the Line.
Picked up and throw to 1st, my 1st Base Partner asks me the question "Did 1st pull her foot?"
I replied "No she didn't" my partner at 1st calls the 'Out'
A coach comes rushing out of the dugout "Ump" she says "How did you see that she didn't pull her foot?"
"Because i got was in a Good Position and could see over the 4ft Cadettes as I am 6ft 4""
Coach turns and as she is heading back to the Dugout, in a voice loud enough for the Dugout and possibly the TC & UIC to hear says "Well you have better Eye's than me then"

Without a pause I turned to her in a voice just loud enough for all to hear, and said "Yes I do, and right now I can see you are heading to the wrong Gate" as I calmly point to the Gate leading out of the Ballpark!!

She smiled / grinned at me, and simply turned in the direction of Exit!

3rd base 'Big Cheif' Coach rushes up to me and he said "Was that ejection necessary?"

I Calmly said to him "You sent her to me!"

Coach smirks and walks back to his 3rd base position.

Little did I know that as this was my 1st Tournament with them coaching it was a Test.

I had no other issues for the week, so I guess I passed!!
Old Sun Apr 19, 2009, 04:05pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ukumpire View Post
Had a Cadette (U13) A coach comes rushing out of the dugout "Ump" she says "How did you see that she didn't pull her foot?"
"Because i got was in a Good Position and could see over the 4ft Cadettes as I am 6ft 4""
Coach turns and as she is heading back to the Dugout, in a voice loud enough for the Dugout and possibly the TC & UIC to hear says "Well you have better Eye's than me then"

Without a pause I turned to her in a voice just loud enough for all to hear, and said "Yes I do, and right now I can see you are heading to the wrong Gate" as I calmly point to the Gate leading out of the Ballpark!!

She smiled / grinned at me, and simply turned in the direction of Exit!
I doubt I would have ejected the coach unless there had been issues with her earlier in the game.

Your post said she was walking to the dugout when she stated your eyes were better than hers. A simple thank you may have been sufficient.
Old Sun Apr 19, 2009, 08:16pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via ICQ to shipwreck
I agree. Unless there was more to the story, I don't think I would have ejected in this case. Dave
Old Sun Apr 19, 2009, 08:30pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by MichaelVA2000 View Post
I doubt I would have ejected the coach unless there had been issues with her earlier in the game.

Your post said she was walking to the dugout when she stated your eyes were better than hers. A simple thank you may have been sufficient.
Hey, he said it was a crappy call, so he knows that!

Must worse than bugbobs weak sauce call IMO.
Old Sun Apr 19, 2009, 10:58pm
Official Forum Member

I got the worst call comment from a coach today during a PONY tournament.

Tie game and bottom of the seventh inning. R1 is at second base with two outs. DC yells to her catcher form the dugout to request time. F2 asks for time and I grant it. DC comes out of the dugout and yells to the outfielders to move in a couple of steps.

As the DC heads back towards the dugout I let her know that she was being charged with a conference. Here's how the conversation continued:

DC: What do you mean I'm being charged with a conference? You can't do that, my catcher was granted the timeout not me!

Me: It became a charged conference when you came onto the field and gave instructions to your players

Coach: That's the worst call ever. Don't think you've heard the last of this; I'll be talking to the UIC when this game is over

Me: That's fine coach but for now I need to know who you will be replacing your pitcher. That was your fourth conference.

B2 smacks a gapper to right-center field on the first pitch from the new F1 bringing in the winning run.

My partner and I leave the field hearing comments of how I had won the game for the other team. Yada Yada Yada.