The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Softball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Sun Apr 05, 2009, 08:37pm
Official Forum Member

New Rule from Coach

14 and Under ASA game. After 1st inning Visitor Coach says that it is illegal for a pitcher to throw more than one (1) sling shot pitch per game and that the Home Team pitcher threw at least three (3) in the 1st inning. He wanted to know how many more I was going to let her throw. I responded as many as she wanted.

Where do they come up with this type of stuff???
Old Sun Apr 05, 2009, 10:19pm
Official Forum Member

The planet Uranus. They left their heads stuck there, too.

I haven't decided if I should call it from the dugout or the outfield. Apparently, both have really great views!

Screw green, it ain't easy being blue!

I won't be coming here that much anymore. I might check in now and again.
Old Sun Apr 05, 2009, 11:03pm
Official Forum Member

How is that scored? How does it effect her ERA?
Old Mon Apr 06, 2009, 06:29am
Administrator

What the heck is a "sling shot" pitch?

MTD, Sr.
Ohio Assn. of Basketball Officials
International Assn. of Approved Bkb. Officials
Ohio High School Athletic Association
Toledo, Ohio
Old Mon Apr 06, 2009, 06:56am
Official Forum Member

It's a pitch delivered with a different motion than the usual windmill. The pitcher drops the pitching arm down and back, rotating maybe 180 degrees past the hip, then releases the ball on the first forward swing past the hip, instead of doing a full windmill.

Many years ago, this was a common delivery, before the windmill became popular. You don't see it a lot nowadays. I see it from time-to-time in lower level rec games, where the pitchers are less skilled. Every once in awhile I'll see it in the men's game, usually from an oldtime pitcher that used it back in the day.

It's perfectly legal and, as noted, there are no restrictions on how many times it can be thrown in a game. Some pitchers will mix one in with their usual windmill pitch, to throw off the batter's timing.
Old Mon Apr 06, 2009, 08:07am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark T. DeNucci, Sr. View Post
What the heck is a "sling shot" pitch?

MTD, Sr.
Sling shot is a term most commonly found in the modified-fast pitch game. It is an illegal delivery in this game. If used in a fast pitch game, I don't think it would be a violation.

E. The pitcher must not use a windmill or slingshot-type pitch or make a complete revolution in the delivery.

NOTE: A "slingshot" type pitch is defined as turning the body toward first or third base and bending the elbow during the back swing.

Modified is a bit confusing as there is a 9-player game and a 10-player game and there are subtle rule differences between them. We do a couple of modified leagues in my area, and by and large the pitching is very loosely enforced. In my estimation, about 70% of the pitchers would be technically illegal. But the players want their game this way, so we accommodate. They don't wear helmets at this level, either, which is a requirement for championship ASA play. Many of these pitchers can't throw very fast or with much accuracy. The key in these leagues is finding someone who can get the ball over the plate and then play good defense.

One of my biggest complaints as a player who pitched modified was the inconsistency of umpires in deciding if a pitch(er) was legal or not. When called illegal and I asked why, I never got an answer. Guess it looked illegal to them. One UIC who did our league games came out and did several of my games from both plate and bases. He concluded that he couldn't find any illegalities in my delivery, but confessed that some of his umpires would call me illegal because they didn't think I could throw as hard as I did and BE legal. Early on, when transitioning from fast to modified, I did use the slingshot, which is the bending of the elbow at the top of my delivery. Some people also refer to this as "buggy whip". From then, I concentrated on keeping the elbox straight on the backswing.

Ted
Old Mon Apr 06, 2009, 08:27am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by BretMan View Post
It's a pitch delivered with a different motion than the usual windmill. The pitcher drops the pitching arm down and back, rotating maybe 180 degrees past the hip, then releases the ball on the first forward swing past the hip, instead of doing a full windmill.

Many years ago, this was a common delivery, before the windmill became popular. You don't see it a lot nowadays. I see it from time-to-time in lower level rec games, where the pitchers are less skilled. Every once in awhile I'll see it in the men's game, usually from an oldtime pitcher that used it back in the day.

It's perfectly legal and, as noted, there are no restrictions on how many times it can be thrown in a game. Some pitchers will mix one in with their usual windmill pitch, to throw off the batter's timing.
It is not a legal pitch in modified ball but many pitchers use a form of it that is less illegal in order to skirt around the rule. The the position of the pitcher's hips make it pretty easy to spot.

Softball in the Bible
"In the big-inning"

Old Mon Apr 06, 2009, 12:00pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to argodad
Debbie Doom

Does anyone remember a pitcher named Debbie Doom (great name) who pitched back in the 70s? She threw 60+ with a slingshot motion. Of course, at the top of her backswing, her arm was at about the 11 o'clock position (as viewed from first base).
Old Mon Apr 06, 2009, 12:28pm
Official Forum Member

Coming from Florida, you might even recall Joan Joyce (long time head coach at Florida Atlantic); she was throwing 70+ using the sling shot.
Old Mon Apr 06, 2009, 01:00pm
Official Forum Member

In a SP game years ago, a player complained to me that the opposing pitcher was throwing "spinners."
Old Mon Apr 06, 2009, 01:09pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by argodad View Post
Does anyone remember... the 70s?
You are kidding, right?!

It's a small world, but I wouldn't want to have to paint it.
Old Mon Apr 06, 2009, 01:13pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by greymule View Post
"spinners."

Now I remember them from the 70's!!!!

YouTube - the spinners-working my way back to you babe-1979-

It's a small world, but I wouldn't want to have to paint it.
Old Mon Apr 06, 2009, 02:30pm
Ref Ump Welsch

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skahtboi View Post
You are kidding, right?!
Shhhh...MTD is on the board. You might actually arouse him, and he might actually regale when softball was born!
Old Mon Apr 06, 2009, 02:32pm
Ref Ump Welsch

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dholloway1962 View Post
Where do they come up with this type of stuff???
You know the saying "some people just pull it out of their a**"? Well, these coaches actually study what comes out while they're in the bathroom, and take the formation of said waste as the gospel!
Old Tue Apr 07, 2009, 08:44am
Administrator

I vaguely remember the 70's (1900's or 1800's I am not sure), but you know what they say about the 1960's: If you can remember them, you were NOT there, .

MTD. Sr.
Ohio Assn. of Basketball Officials
International Assn. of Approved Bkb. Officials
Ohio High School Athletic Association
Toledo, Ohio