The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Football
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Mon Aug 15, 2005, 11:57am
Official Forum Member

I read a statement in this month's version of referee that the Fed has changed the rule slightly on DQ'd head coaches. It states that an assistant can no longer be designated as the HC and therefore any future TO's need to be called by a player. Is this in another thread? Either way, what have you heard in your interp meetings? My first meeting isn't until the 23rd.
Old Mon Aug 15, 2005, 12:15pm
Official Forum Member

At our interp meeting (Missouri) they confirmed that the asst coaches cannot call a TO after the head coach has been tossed.
Old Mon Aug 15, 2005, 12:41pm
Official Forum Member

That's correct, there is a case play with this ruling, I will try and find it.

EDIT: 3.5.2 Situation B

[Edited by Snake~eyes on Aug 15th, 2005 at 01:45 PM]
Old Mon Aug 15, 2005, 01:29pm
Official Forum Member

At an Iowa rules meeting Saturday it was stated that a designated head coach (after the head coach is ejected) can call a time out.
The Nebraska rules meeting last week - stated just the opposite - the designated coach (replacing the ejected head coach) can't call a time out.

Old Mon Aug 15, 2005, 01:40pm
Official Forum Member

Situation B play d) covers it pretty well ...the game cannot continue until a responsible person is assigned as the “new” head coach, but this person shall not be permitted to request a time-out.

The funny thing in my mind is that they specified this at our rules meeting this year that it was legal last year but I seem to remember them saying last year that we weren't supposed to let the replacement head coach call timeouts.
Old Mon Aug 15, 2005, 01:40pm
Official Forum Member

REPLY: What makes the problem bigger than it should be is that there was an intentional change made to the 2005 case book (play 3.5.2B that Snake-eyes cited) but there was no mention whatsoever of this as either a Rules Change or and Editorial Change. Next question is whether or not 'other' head coach privileges will be withdrawn from the newly designated head coach, e.g. the privilege of a coach/referee conference on a potential misapplication of a rule.
Old Mon Aug 15, 2005, 02:03pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via Yahoo to waltjp
I'd allow the 'new' head coach all of the privileges of the original head coach unless specifically disallowed by rule. In this case he can't call a TO but has the right to a coach/referee conference.
Old Mon Aug 15, 2005, 03:23pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by waltjp
I'd allow the 'new' head coach all of the privileges of the original head coach unless specifically disallowed by rule. In this case he can't call a TO but has the right to a coach/referee conference.
REPLY: I agree Walt. I sort of said that with my tongue embedded firmly in my cheek.
Old Mon Aug 15, 2005, 04:53pm
Official Forum Member

timeouts

it clearly states that the head coach can call timeouts. I know about the case book play 3.5.2. But if you think about this why would you penalize a team for having the head coach ejected. I would recogize the new designated coach as the head coach and allow him/her to call time outs per the rule book.
Old Mon Aug 15, 2005, 05:10pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via Yahoo to waltjp
Re: timeouts

Quote:
Originally posted by andy1033
it clearly states that the head coach can call timeouts. I know about the case book play 3.5.2. But if you think about this why would you penalize a team for having the head coach ejected. I would recogize the new designated coach as the head coach and allow him/her to call time outs per the rule book.
If you did so you'd be violating Case Book 3.5.2B, which clearly states that the new head coach cannot call a time out when the original head coach is disqualified.
Old Mon Aug 15, 2005, 05:15pm
Official Forum Member

case book

With all the errors in the case book one more would not suprise me. This is the case book not the rule book.
Old Mon Aug 15, 2005, 05:30pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to RedCisc
Case book vs. Rule book

As a brand new official I find it interesting that the case book would give a situation that does not seem to have a direct correlation back to the Rule book.
Old Mon Aug 15, 2005, 05:48pm
Official Forum Member

You find it intesting, we veterans find it incredibly annoying and so will you! So, be careful what you read and check the fed site for changes. If you get confused and something doesn't look correct please don't hesitate to put a question on this board. There are some very knowledgable officials on this board who will be very willing to answer your questions so use this as a valuable resource.

And, the very best of luck to you!
Old Mon Aug 15, 2005, 08:37pm
Official Forum Member

Keep in mind this applies as well if the HC is up in the box as well. Then a player will need to call the TO.

WM
Old Mon Aug 15, 2005, 10:31pm
Official Forum Member

Re: timeouts

Quote:
Originally posted by andy1033
But if you think about this why would you penalize a team for having the head coach ejected.
I have read this and thought about it. If a HC gets ejected then that is just another penalty. I don't really get your statement, if a HC is ejected and the team looses its oppurtunity to call timeout from the sideline then tough luck.