The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Wed Feb 14, 2001, 10:20pm
Official Forum Member

It happened again, last night, for the third time this year! This time I was ready!

I'm at lead. B1 deflects a pass into his BC. Just before the ball gets to the sideline, bats the ball, goes OOB and returns and starts to dribble. My partner at trail had to hold up to keep from getting in the way. He's got a no-call and let's the play continue. When B1 comes back in and starts the dribble, Coach A does the old "Oh, waht a feeling, Toyota!" jump.

"He can't do that! He can go OOB and be the first one to touch it when he comes back in!"

Now standing directly beside him, I reply, "Yes, he can. It's Rule 7-1-1, Coach. But 7.1.1 on page 49 in the case book explains it much better." He got that "deer in the headlight" look about him and sat down.

After the game, my other partner asked me what I said to him. I told him and asked him why. First, he couldn't believe the coach shut up and sat down so fast. But when he did, he said something to his asst. coach, who began digging in a bag for something, a book.

After reading for about three minutes, my partner saw the asst. coach shake his head, "Yes."

"You should never be proud of doing the right thing." - Dean Smith
Old Wed Feb 14, 2001, 11:07pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to Dan_ref
Thumbs up

Great job!
Old Thu Feb 15, 2001, 12:09am
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to rainmaker
I have found this "ploy" of quoting rule numbers very, very effective in shutting coaches up. I have about four numbers that I use for most occasions, and when in doubt, I quote rule 4-point-something. I suppose an attentive coach such as Hawks Coach would not be silenced by this, since he probably knows the book better than I do. But most of the coaches I deal with don't have a clue and are useing the rules that were in effect as they understood them when they played, with whatever modifications they think they have seen on TV. Quoting a rule puts them at their weakest!

I did have one coach who stood up to me briefly. About two plays after I had given him a rule number he shouted sarcastically, "I suppose that play is covered in rule 17!" I said, "No, actually, travelling is rule 4.32." I was off by a couple, but I didn't hear one more word out of him for the rest of the game.

I wonder if this will work at higher levels? What level were you working?
Old Thu Feb 15, 2001, 12:58am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by rainmaker
I did have one coach who stood up to me briefly. About two plays after I had given him a rule number he shouted sarcastically, "I suppose that play is covered in rule 17!" I said, "No, actually, travelling is rule 4.32." I was off by a couple, but I didn't hear one more word out of him for the rest of the game.

This was a varsity game, first round of the conference torunament.

Some easy rules to remember:
Correctable error - 2-10
Guarding - 4-23
Traveling - 4-43
Fouls - 4-19
Dribble - 4-15
Player & ball OOB - 7-1
Backcourt - 9-9
Technical fouls
Team - 10-1
Player - 10-3
Coach - 10-5

And yes, I remebered all of them without looking them up!

Old Thu Feb 15, 2001, 08:17am
Official Forum Member

Wink

Quote:
Originally posted by BktBallRef
Quote:
Originally posted by rainmaker

This was a varsity game, first round of the conference torunament.

Some easy rules to remember:
Correctable error - 2-10
Guarding - 4-23
Traveling - 4-43
Fouls - 4-19
Dribble - 4-15
Player & ball OOB - 7-1
Backcourt - 9-9
Technical fouls
Team - 10-1
Player - 10-3
Coach - 10-5

And yes, I remebered all of them without looking them up!
We're not worthy, we're not worthy... You da man!
Old Thu Feb 15, 2001, 10:25am
Official Forum Member

Smile

Thanks Art, but it's not that difficult. These are some of the most commonly referred to rules. Just keep a few of these in your head and they'll come in handy.

Old Thu Feb 15, 2001, 11:43am
In Memoriam

Quote:
Originally posted by BktBallRef
It happened again, last night, for the third time this year! This time I was ready!

Now standing directly beside him, I reply, "Yes, he can. It's Rule 7-1-1, Coach. But 7.1.1 on page 49 in the case book explains it much better." He got that "deer in the headlight" look about him and sat down.

Tony,
That is just too cool!
mick
Old Thu Feb 15, 2001, 12:40pm
Do not give a damn!!

I thought I was the only on.

I do this two sometimes. I do not quote as many specific rules as you do, but the real obscure ones, I have before. Because even if you are wrong, you told them the rule and they usually do not know themselves, coaches do not read rulebooks.
Old Thu Feb 15, 2001, 01:03pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to rainmaker
Re: I thought I was the only on.

Quote:
Originally posted by JRutledge
Because even if you are wrong, you told them the rule and they usually do not know themselves, coaches do not read rulebooks.
Anyone without memorizing anything can quote rule 4 (Definitions). There are 44 sections. Think how far down in the alphabet the word you want is. Quote a number about that far toward 44. So for instance, Travelling starts with a T about 3/4 to 44 so around 33. "travelling is rule 4.33, coach" Even if it's 4.32 or 4.35, he's still going to be impressed, IF he looks it up at all. I always say it totally flat with no inflection at all. No emotion, like it's just another pop quiz. Y'all try it sometime!
Old Thu Feb 15, 2001, 01:27pm
Official Forum Member

I carry a rule book in my bag, so make sure you get the numbers right if you are going to cite chapter and verse

Old Thu Feb 15, 2001, 01:37pm
In Memoriam

Cool No praw.

Quote:
Originally posted by Hawks Coach
I carry a rule book in my bag, so make sure you get the numbers right if you are going to cite chapter and verse

Coach,
If we misquote, you can correct us with the proper number.
The important thing is that we all open the book.
I'll bet your book doesn't look brand new.
Mine's a rag.
mick
Old Thu Feb 15, 2001, 01:55pm
Do not give a damn!!

Quote:
Originally posted by Hawks Coach

YOU might carry one in your book, but can you say that for the OTHER coaches? And even if I am wrong, at least I am aware of the section of the rule. If I do quote a rule, I am doing so to disspell those myths like "moving screens" and the "feet must be set" sayings.
Old Thu Feb 15, 2001, 07:16pm
Official Forum Member

Anyone without memorizing anything can quote rule 4 (Definitions). There are 44 sections. Think
how far down in the alphabet the word you want is. Quote a number about that far toward 44. So
for instance, Travelling starts with a T about 3/4 to 44 so around 33. "travelling is rule 4.33,
coach" Even if it's 4.32 or 4.35, he's still going to be impressed, IF he looks it up at all. I always
say it totally flat with no inflection at all. No emotion, like it's just another pop quiz. Y'all try it
sometime!

I disagree with this theory. If I were a coach and someone quoted a reference and it was the wrong one, I would light them up. "What other rules do you think you know?" "What other rules are you going to make up tonight?" "Do you really know what any of the rules are?" Those are the only questions that came to my mind quickly. If you are going to quote references--You had better know them exactly!! Otherwise, you are opening a can of worms that you don't want open IMO. Getting close will only help you lose credibility with the coach.

It is true that many of the coaches would never check the rulebook, but if one did and you were wrong, it wouldn't take very long before every coach knew about it. Remember the coaching community is probably smaller than the reffing community and they talk to each other.
Old Thu Feb 15, 2001, 07:29pm
In Memoriam

Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally posted by Kelly Kinghorn

I disagree with this theory. If I were a coach and someone quoted a reference and it was the wrong one, I would light them up. "What other rules do you think you know?" "What other rules are you going to make up tonight?" "Do you really know what any of the rules are?" Those are the only questions that came to my mind quickly. If you are going to quote references--You had better know them exactly!! Otherwise, you are opening a can of worms that you don't want open IMO. Getting close will only help you lose credibility with the coach.

It is true that many of the coaches would never check the rulebook, but if one did and you were wrong, it wouldn't take very long before every coach knew about it. Remember the coaching community is probably smaller than the reffing community and they talk to each other.
Good call, Kelly.
Old Thu Feb 15, 2001, 08:12pm
Do not give a damn!!

Wink You are correct, but........

Quote:
Originally posted by Kelly Kinghorn

I agree with you to a point. Most coaches do not have a clue about the rulebook. It is just a fact, that you can even talk about a section, and most coaches do not have the capacity (at least at that moment) to realize that you are incorrect. I am not saying to quote wrong rules sections, I am saying that if a coach says to you "moving screen." You can say back to them, "when you read that in section 4, I will start calling it" I guarantee you are not going to hear much more about "moving screens." Now you have to have the personality and timing to say that, but I have said that or something like that many times, they have no answer for it and it shuts them up.