Go Back   The Official Forum > Softball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Mon Mar 30, 2009, 08:32am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by IRISHMAFIA View Post
it's the detergent.
I don't think so. My wife hasn't changed detergent since I don't know when (we have been together 18 years), and as I stated above the newer ones haven't had the buttons fade like the older ones did. And the older ones did it in the first year!

It's a small world, but I wouldn't want to have to paint it.
Old Mon Mar 30, 2009, 08:49am
Official Forum Member

I bought 4 powder blue shirts last year. The buttons on two of them turned purple, two did not. My uniforms are always dried on the clothesline. ASA sent me replacement buttons.

------------------------------------------

So I was working adult coed games last night. A guy I know is getting ready to play the next game. He asked me where I got my shirt. (huh? I figured he was F-ing with me) Turns out his real first name (he goes by a different name) is Asa.
Old Mon Mar 30, 2009, 08:51am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by BretMan View Post
...Some of you may have seen this on the baseball forum. If not, it might be an interesting read:

Umpire Shirt Comparison
I read that, and it lost all credibility when it rated the Honigs shirts so high. I realize Honigs probably sells different grades of shirts, but I bought a couple of Honigs shirts for high school ball a few years ago. Crappy shirts. They looked bad after just a few wearings / washings. Fabric fuzzes up, does not look sharp at all, not to mention that obnoxious logo on the back.
Old Mon Mar 30, 2009, 02:00pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by BretMan View Post

Some of you may have seen this on the baseball forum. If not, it might be an interesting read:

Umpire Shirt Comparison
He kept talking about the prick test. Does that mean that the buttons turn pink if you're a prick?
Old Mon Mar 30, 2009, 03:34pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dakota View Post
I read that, and it lost all credibility when it rated the Honigs shirts so high. I realize Honigs probably sells different grades of shirts, but I bought a couple of Honigs shirts for high school ball a few years ago. Crappy shirts. They looked bad after just a few wearings / washings. Fabric fuzzes up, does not look sharp at all, not to mention that obnoxious logo on the back.
The collars on my old ones did get like that, but they have switched the collar material. Honig's is the first place I go for everything and I like their uniforms.

As for the logo, I never had a problem with it, but the shirt I bought this year has the logo on a small patch that is sewn onto the back under the collar. Now you could cut the patch off if you wanted to.
Old Mon Mar 30, 2009, 04:01pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via Yahoo to umpirebob71
I've been buying merchandise from Honig's for 14 years for both softball and football, and I have never had a problem with anything. If I could buy ASA merchandise from them, I would.
Old Mon Mar 30, 2009, 04:28pm
Official Forum Member

Sorry to dump on everyone's favorite vendor. I like them, too. Great service, etc. However, that does not change the fact that the shirts I bought from them were crappy and are a walking ad for Honigs with the embroidered logo on the back. I only wear them for sub-varsity games unless I have no other choice, and I won't buy more.
Old Mon Mar 30, 2009, 09:31pm
Official Forum Member

It's okay. Everyone has a preferred shirt. And baseball guys know about shirts with all the different ones they have!
Old Tue Mar 31, 2009, 12:34pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skahtboi View Post
I don't think so. My wife hasn't changed detergent since I don't know when (we have been together 18 years), and as I stated above the newer ones haven't had the buttons fade like the older ones did. And the older ones did it in the first year!
When everyone was complaining about the "pink" buttons, I had no problems with mine. Always washed my uniforms together, shirt, pants, hat. I litterally undressed in front of the washer and everything, but the shoes went into the washer. Used a mild detergent and always machine dried. No problem with the buttons.

Then I lent a couple to an umpire who worked a National in either Killeen or McAllen. When he returned the shirts, they were clean, but the buttons were now pink. His wife, who was my friend before I ever met him, apparently uses a detergent with a bleach-like additive.

While your doubts may be actual, I have no reason to believe it is anything, but the detergent.
Old Tue Mar 31, 2009, 12:37pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
I litterally undressed in front of the washer and everything, but the shoes went into the washer.
Mike, I was about to go get some lunch, but I think I'll need to wait a few before doing so after reading this...

I haven't decided if I should call it from the dugout or the outfield. Apparently, both have really great views!

Screw green, it ain't easy being blue!

I won't be coming here that much anymore. I might check in now and again.
Old Tue Mar 31, 2009, 12:46pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by NCASAUmp View Post
Mike, I was about to go get some lunch, but I think I'll need to wait a few before doing so after reading this...
Why? Do you eat at a laundramat?
Old Tue Mar 31, 2009, 01:02pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Why? Do you eat at a laundramat?
Not at yours after game day!

I haven't decided if I should call it from the dugout or the outfield. Apparently, both have really great views!

Screw green, it ain't easy being blue!

I won't be coming here that much anymore. I might check in now and again.