The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Softball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Mon Mar 30, 2009, 06:05pm
Official Forum Member

Economy??

We are almost 1/2 way through our HS regular season and a few weeks into the local rec ball season.

I don't know if it's just me..........but it seems that the regional HS game attendance seems to be down this year and the crowds are more subdued as in years past. There is an adult entry to games from three to six bucks with students from two to three.

On the flip side.........the rec games have very big crowds and are as ridiculous as I can remember.........local league games have no admission (unless you count the Big League Dream Park up the road).

Totally unscientific on my part.......but it seems that the NFHS crowds down here are more sporadic and better behaved...........and the local rec leagues are having renewed attendance..........with more than usual shenanigans from the bleachers.

Anyone else noticing this?

Joel
Old Mon Mar 30, 2009, 08:18pm
Official Forum Member

I've never seen a high school game charge admission in these parts, so don't really have anything to compare with that observation. It might be a hard-sell to get folks to pay to come freeze their butts off in Ohio spring weather!

Our rec leagues don't start for another month and sign-ups are still in progress. I am curious to see if the number of kids playing (ie: the number of parents paying for their kids to play) is affected this year.

Also wonder if the economy will affect the number of travel players, since travel ball does represent a significant investment. So far, my very unscientific observation is that it has not had a significant impact. At our last ASA meeting, our director said that he has more tournaments than than he has umpires! That might be an exageration, but he was talking about borrowing umpires from other areas to fill all the spots.

Others have commented that they have seen an increase in new umpires in their area, and speculated that it is due to people looking to pick up some extra cash during rough economic times. Our local group had about 20 first year umpires at our last meeting, along with about 80 returnees.
Old Mon Mar 30, 2009, 08:35pm
Official Forum Member

I have not noticed that, Joel. But, like Bret's area - who would pay to watch a high school game in north central Pa in the early spring? I've got my second high school game of the season tomorrow - and this just might be well attended - last year's state champs against one of the better teams in the district.
Old Mon Mar 30, 2009, 10:37pm
Official Forum Member

We've not seen any significant impact with respect to the numbers of umpires just yet. We lost a few, we gained a few. A lot of the same faces returning, which is good, as I think we have a pretty good, consistent crew.

Can't speak to the number of teams just yet, as tonight was my first night back behind the plate (was supposed to be last week, but I sprained it pretty badly at the NUS - healing very well, though!). One of the other leagues still hasn't started yet (should be within a week or two).

However, I heard that one of the Parks and Recs in the area apparently had to cut $80k from its budget due to the economy. $80k. Ouch.

I haven't decided if I should call it from the dugout or the outfield. Apparently, both have really great views!

Screw green, it ain't easy being blue!

I won't be coming here that much anymore. I might check in now and again.
Old Mon Mar 30, 2009, 11:49pm
Official Forum Member

Our HS season was supposed to start last week but with all the snow still on the ground (we got 16 more inches today), I don't see that season starting anytime in the near future. Our rec season is supposed to start the first week of May and I don't see that happening either. My point is, I haven't seen any effects of the economy yet on softball because we haven't had any games yet.