The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Softball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Fri Mar 20, 2009, 03:58pm
Official Forum Member

The knuckle head committee

12U Rec. In-field fly, I point and signal verbally. The ball is caught by F3, she turns and tags 1st (after the coaches frantically yell at her to do so) before the runner returns to the base to tag up. 3 outs half inning over.

The coach runs out and tells me that she has to be tagged. I say no, the ball is live and the runner must tag up just like any caught ball. He tells me, “last night the blue said she had to tag her”. He told me the ball was not caught. I told him that umpire was correct, and when the ball is not caught in an IFS the batter/runner is still out and the base runners or no longer forced, therefore the base runner must be tagged before they make to the base.

Then the knuckle head committee was formed. Three coaches and two parents all in the “Thinking Man” pose convincing each other that I was wrong. This lasted for three innings. Got to love rec league coaches .

About me: Started at 15, 18 years, primarily rec (have a 9-5 job), 4 years of HS while in college. Took some time off to start a career and family. Came back to ASA 8 years ago. 2 Nationals and 2-Socal 18 Gold qualifiers. I know I still have more to learn, but new umps are told to look to me to learn as well.
Love to mentor.
Old Fri Mar 20, 2009, 05:08pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by vcblue View Post
12U Rec. In-field fly, I point and signal verbally. The ball is caught by F3, she turns and tags 1st (after the coaches frantically yell at her to do so) before the runner returns to the base to tag up. 3 outs half inning over.

The coach runs out and tells me that she has to be tagged. I say no, the ball is live and the runner must tag up just like any caught ball. He tells me, “last night the blue said she had to tag her”. He told me the ball was not caught. I told him that umpire was correct, and when the ball is not caught in an IFS the batter/runner is still out and the base runners or no longer forced, therefore the base runner must be tagged before they make to the base.

Then the knuckle head committee was formed. Three coaches and two parents all in the “Thinking Man” pose convincing each other that I was wrong. This lasted for three innings.
And what happened at that point?
Old Fri Mar 20, 2009, 09:28pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by vcblue View Post

Then the knuckle head committee was formed. Three coaches and two parents all in the “Thinking Man” pose convincing each other that I was wrong. This lasted for three innings.
What happened after the PowWow?
Old Fri Mar 20, 2009, 09:51pm
Official Forum Member

Storious Interuptus
Old Mon Mar 23, 2009, 07:40am
Ref Ump Welsch

Did the knucklehead committee also do some fingerpointing in your direction? I hate that...and in adult slowpitch, the entire freaking team becomes that committee stupidus.
Old Mon Mar 23, 2009, 09:53am
Official Forum Member

I found out yesterday the coach verified the ruling with our district UIC. The UIC said this coach calls him all the time. I think it is time the UIC stops answering his phone calls, because it starts to undermine the training and experience, and our management of the game.
Old Mon Mar 23, 2009, 11:52am
Ref Ump Welsch

Yup, your UIC needs to grow some cojones and stop taking the calls.

We had a deputy UIC who took a "complaint" call on me from a slowpitch coed WRECK team who complained that I let a female batter decide after stepping in the box if she was going to take the walk or not (male had walked just before her), and she made her decision before a pitch could be pitched (of course, I hadn't exchanged the balls yet). The coach called the office the next day, and deputy UIC looked at the list of umpires working that night, and saw my name on the game (as well as partner's) and asked for a description of the home plate umpire. The coach described me to a T (right down to my hearing aid in the right ear) and the deputy UIC knew it was me right away. He listened to the coach rant and rant, but the whole time, he knew I had the call right. The coach finally said "you know, we moved to this league because we heard positive stuff about playing in this city, because we played across the river, had some problems with umpires, moved to one of the burbs to play and had problems with umpires and now we have problems with umpires again!" My dep UIC asked, "have you ever considered maybe YOU are the problem?" *CLICK*

I got an email later from dep UIC asking for my side of the story, and about an hour after I sent my response, his response: "I figured as much that they wanted to whine about an umpire doing his job! Keep up the good work." I don't think I ever could have beat my chest with pride as much as I could have that day!

Last edited by Ref Ump Welsch; Mon Mar 23, 2009 at 02:12pm.
Old Mon Mar 23, 2009, 01:19pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ref Ump Welsch View Post
Yup, your UIC needs to grow some cajoles and stop taking the calls.
I think you are confusing the word "cajole," meaning to coax, with the word "cojones," a slang word for testicles.

It's a small world, but I wouldn't want to have to paint it.
Old Mon Mar 23, 2009, 02:15pm
Official Forum Member

Wink

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skahtboi View Post
I think you are confusing the word "cajole," meaning to coax, with the word "cojones," a slang word for testicles.
Not to be further confused with, "Testicles" the Greek god of manning up.
Old Mon Mar 23, 2009, 02:19pm
Ref Ump Welsch

Quote:
Fixed it...thanks. It's freaking Monday morning, so my brain was a weeeee bit slow!
Old Mon Mar 23, 2009, 05:21pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Is "cajoles" a form of frijoles made with cojones?

Bob