The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Softball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Wed Mar 04, 2009, 12:58pm
Official Forum Member

Documentation on A.S.A. Umpire Dress Code

I've looked high and low, emailed and called ASA officials and have yet to get an answer other than "it's just a known fact". After seeing some of the items worn a weekend or two ago, I would say that it's not that well known.

Where can I find written documentation of the official ASA Umpire dress code for championship play?

I'm looking for information on Indiana but anything would be great.
Old Wed Mar 04, 2009, 01:02pm
Official Forum Member

ASA Rule 10-5.

But, you should also check with your state commissioner and your local umpire association.
Old Wed Mar 04, 2009, 01:04pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by gdc25 View Post
I've looked high and low, emailed and called ASA officials and have yet to get an answer other than "it's just a known fact". After seeing some of the items worn a weekend or two ago, I would say that it's not that well known.

Where can I find written documentation of the official ASA Umpire dress code for championship play?

I'm looking for information on Indiana but anything would be great.

Have you checked with your Indiana UIC?

and not to open a can of worms... but is there something you wear/want to wear that you have been told you cant wear in championship play?
Old Thu Mar 05, 2009, 09:34am
Official Forum Member

Quote:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dakota View Post
ASA Rule 10-5.
Ha! That pretty much spells it out.

"High and low" indeed.
Old Thu Mar 05, 2009, 10:33am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dakota View Post
ASA Rule 10-5.

But, you should also check with your state commissioner and your local umpire association.
Dangit!! I knew as soon as I posted this that I had read it in the 2008 book and was just overlooking it in the 2009. Lookin' dumb again?

and to answer one of the questions above, it's not something that I want to wear, it's things that I don't want to see. I do wish that it mandated the western cut pockets though, I hate seeing the pocket liners of "business casual" slacks.
Old Thu Mar 05, 2009, 11:29am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Dangit!! I knew as soon as I posted this that I had read it in the 2008 book and was just overlooking it in the 2009. Lookin' dumb again?

and to answer one of the questions above, it's not something that I want to wear, it's things that I don't want to see. I do wish that it mandated the western cut pockets though, I hate seeing the pocket liners of "business casual" slacks.
The mandate to wear ASA Properties pants (which would result in western cut pockets) only applies to ASA Nationals. Now if your UIC or Commissioner (you are in Indiana, right, where he makes all the uniform sales??) mandated that for your local Championship Play, that would be something else.
Old Thu Mar 05, 2009, 11:43am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by AtlUmpSteve View Post
The mandate to wear ASA Properties pants (which would result in western cut pockets) only applies to ASA Nationals. Now if your UIC or Commissioner (you are in Indiana, right, where he makes all the uniform sales??) mandated that for your local Championship Play, that would be something else.
However, as long as it's an option, I would suggest wearing the ASA pants, regardless of the level of play. Some may disagree, but I feel it reflects more positively upon you as an umpire to show up in a crisp and proper uniform.

Yes, I wear the ASA Fechheimer pants when calling the local coed C league. The majority of them don't realize I'm doing it, but there may be that one person who spots it and appreciates it.

Treat every game you call as though it's the best level around.

I haven't decided if I should call it from the dugout or the outfield. Apparently, both have really great views!

Screw green, it ain't easy being blue!

I won't be coming here that much anymore. I might check in now and again.
Old Thu Mar 05, 2009, 12:17pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by NCASAUmp View Post
However, as long as it's an option, I would suggest wearing the ASA pants, regardless of the level of play. Some may disagree, but I feel it reflects more positively upon you as an umpire to show up in a crisp and proper uniform.

Yes, I wear the ASA Fechheimer pants when calling the local coed C league. The majority of them don't realize I'm doing it, but there may be that one person who spots it and appreciates it.

Treat every game you call as though it's the best level around.
Absolutely!! In our local association, we wear only ASA uniforms, no local patches, no local exceptions. I will allow new umpires to start with cheaper pants, but as soon as they buy a "next" pair, it is expected to be the right ones. We are "tournament dress" in all our local ball; and the teams recognize the professionalism and pride it demonstrates.
Old Thu Mar 05, 2009, 12:23pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by AtlUmpSteve View Post
Absolutely!! In our local association, we wear only ASA uniforms, no local patches, no local exceptions. I will allow new umpires to start with cheaper pants, but as soon as they buy a "next" pair, it is expected to be the right ones. We are "tournament dress" in all our local ball; and the teams recognize the professionalism and pride it demonstrates.
I'll admit that for many years, I was a young, slouch-a$$ umpire. Didn't go to the rule clinics, didn't always do what I was supposed to. I thought I knew it all. You vets all know the type. Then a lightbulb went off in my head, and I realized why I was having so many problems.

So for the past 4 or 5 years, I've made it a point to pick a few things to improve upon every season. Last year, one of those items was my appearance. I shaved more frequently. I polished my shoes nightly. My uniform was 100% ASA with no exceptions.

Last year, I had significantly fewer troubles than any other year in the past.

I haven't decided if I should call it from the dugout or the outfield. Apparently, both have really great views!

Old Thu Mar 05, 2009, 01:36pm
Official Forum Member

I'm in agreement with everything that's been said. --duh--

My next step is to email Wayne and see if he has anything mandated... specifically the Fechheimer pants and...(This next part should clue those of you slow pitch guys that were at the Nat. School in Bloomington IN who I am and what I'm talking about)...the shoes with ugly white logos/stripes on them.
Old Thu Mar 05, 2009, 02:06pm
Official Forum Member

From the ASA 10.5:

2 things...

Quote:
Section 5 Uniform:
The male and female umpire shall wear:
1. A powder blue or navy blue, short-sleeve polo shirt. ASA letters are worn on the left chest of the polo shirt.
Is this interpreted that the new long sleeve ASA polo shirts are not allowed in championship play? That's the stance we've taken in Seattle Metro.

Quote:
The male and female umpire shall wear:
5. The approved navy jacket with white ASA letters on the left chest,
7. A t-shirt is optional to wear under the powder blue or navy blue polo shirt; If
a t-shirt is worn, it must be a white t-shirt under the powder blue polo shirt
and navy t-shirt under the navy blue polo shirt.
Nitpicky, but doesn't this require the umpire to wear a jacket? The following line about tee-shirts states that they're optional... but it doesn't say that the jacket is optional.

Just stirring the pot a bit.

Last edited by SRW; Thu Mar 05, 2009 at 02:08pm.
Old Thu Mar 05, 2009, 02:15pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to argodad
Quote:
Originally Posted by SRW View Post
From the ASA 10.5:

Nitpicky, but doesn't this require the umpire to wear a jacket? The following line about tee-shirts states that they're optional... but it doesn't say that the jacket is optional.

Might be OK to require a jacket in Seattle, but if you did it in Tallahassee in July or August you'd need three crews per game. So go stir your own pot!
Old Thu Mar 05, 2009, 02:28pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by SRW View Post
Is this interpreted that the new long sleeve ASA polo shirts are not allowed in championship play? That's the stance we've taken in Seattle Metro.
I would say that technically, it does. However, I don't think that section has been revised since the polo shirts' introduction, and the long-sleeved polo shirts were introduced afterward.

Also, not everything that ASA sells is approved equipment (sadly). They sell the powder blue shirts and the navy hats without the ASA log on them, for example.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SRW
Don't think you'll find too many UICs enforcing that one on a hot summer tournament day.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SRW
Pot is thus stirred!

Old Thu Mar 05, 2009, 10:52pm
Official Forum Member

Just a note, and I'm sure it is will be viewed by some as biased, but IMO, ASA's Fechheimer pants are pretty high quality and competitively priced.

I have yet to have a pair last less than 5 years and I do wear them off the field as well as on.
Old Thu Mar 05, 2009, 11:08pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by IRISHMAFIA View Post
Just a note, and I'm sure it is will be viewed by some as biased, but IMO, ASA's Fechheimer pants are pretty high quality and competitively priced.

I have yet to have a pair last less than 5 years and I do wear them off the field as well as on.
Generally-speaking, I agree with the above statement. I've had shirts last 4 or 5 years, shorts last 3 years (and believe me, they take much abuse). Though I only purchased my first pair of the Fechheimer pants last year, I can definitely tell that these pants will last. $45 for the base pants is a bit steep, but considering how long they'll last, I'm willing to shell the bucks.

Not to mention the fact that if I want to call another National, I don't have much of a choice.