The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Softball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Tue Apr 12, 2005, 11:14am
Official Forum Member

I am curious about the umpire dress code. This is my first year umpiring and am enjoying it immensly!! I was told at our first meeting by the UIC that wearing shorts was fine as long as I matched shirts with my partner. I have recieved some good natured ribbing about the shorts from some of the "old timers" and have just laughed it off.

When I got to my game (playing, not umpiring)last night I was informed that one of the umpires was sent home because he was wearing shorts and didn't match his partner. My question is who decides who matches with who? Are long pants the prefered way to go and shorts are just tolerated?

Any help would be appreciated! I have a call into my UIC as we speak but would like other points of view as well!
Old Tue Apr 12, 2005, 11:44am
Official Forum Member

Here, shorts are acceptable only for slow pitch.

Since I don't (haven't) called slow pitch, I've never paid any attention to the requirements for matching.
Old Tue Apr 12, 2005, 12:02pm
Ref Ump Welsch

It depends on league, tournament, state, etc., requirements. For example, here in Omaha, for league and weekend tournament play (just a regular tournament, and I'm speaking from slow-pitch), we're allowed to wear shorts, even if our partner has pants on. It's an individual preference.

As for the state tournaments here in Nebraska, we have to match our partner in regards to shirt and pants/shorts. If they're wearing shorts, I can wear shorts. If he/she's got pants on, I have to switch to pants. Same with the shirt, as some city leagues apparently use the navy blue shirts while most use the powder blue.

Like I said, it depends on the locality, etc. etc. As for determining who matches, etc., you should have that information from the league you're working for. Here in Omaha, we have an UIC and (I believe) 3 deputies, as well as the league office President, who can make that determination if we are in uniform or not. They're not so worried about matching for league play, more so about being in appropriate uniform.
Old Tue Apr 12, 2005, 12:03pm
Official Forum Member

This is for slow pitch and like I said I have been told by the UIC that it's ok. I was just kinda worried that I was going to start getting sent home and not making money at something I enjoy so much!!
Old Tue Apr 12, 2005, 12:04pm
Official Forum Member

Shorts for slooooowwww pitch

In Seattle, shorts are for slow pitch only. And in the rare event that you do a slow pitch game with two umpires, they should match...i.e. both wear shorts or both wear long pants.

And, they are expected to be official ASA shorts.

Socks don't have to be ASA-branded, BUT your socks should match, too.

(It's called a uniform for a reason...)
Old Tue Apr 12, 2005, 02:43pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to buddha69
Where I'm from we wear pant all year long! Even in the hot summer of Georgia.

I ask why on the first day. cause we got umpires that like to wear it and some that don't like to wear it.

one umpire likes to wear his like Daisy Dukes likes to wear it. I will like that alone.. you can only imagine that for yourself..

Got some older guys that say there old a$$ legs don't look good in shorts.

So We all have to suffer in with the heather greys...
Old Tue Apr 12, 2005, 02:52pm
Official Forum Member

We are long slacks for FP 95% of the time. Only if it's extremely hot (like, over 100), and umpires are working multiple games (like 4-6), and we clear it with the league commish first, will we go with shorts --- and then only if both umpires are wearing them.
Old Tue Apr 12, 2005, 05:11pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by mcrowder
We are long slacks for FP 95% of the time. Only if it's extremely hot (like, over 100), and umpires are working multiple games (like 4-6), and we clear it with the league commish first, will we go with shorts --- and then only if both umpires are wearing them.
Now, that looks ridiculous. Don't want to hear about the heat, you choose to live there.

Doesn't look very professional, either.

JMHO,

Old Tue Apr 12, 2005, 05:18pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:

Now, that looks ridiculous. Don't want to hear about the heat, you choose to live there.

JMHO,

[/B]
R U saying that shorts don't look pofessional?
Old Tue Apr 12, 2005, 06:17pm
In Memoriam

Lightbulb

A gear bag won't even know if the shorts are packed with the pants.
If you have a mis-match you can change.
Old Wed Apr 13, 2005, 10:30am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by mose1117
Quote:

JMHO,
R U saying that shorts don't look pofessional? [/B]
In FP, it is MY OPINION, that they don't look professional, either.

Old Wed Apr 13, 2005, 12:28pm
Official Forum Member

I agree that FP has a little more of a "professional" demeanor about it. I, however am talking about SP and don't feel that shorts hinder the professionalism of the game or the officiating that I do. If anything they make me more comfortable and allow me to do a better job!!
Old Wed Apr 13, 2005, 01:32pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by mose1117
I agree that FP has a little more of a "professional" demeanor about it. I, however am talking about SP and don't feel that shorts hinder the professionalism of the game or the officiating that I do. If anything they make me more comfortable and allow me to do a better job!!
Well, if you read my citation on the post you questioned, you would see that I was referring to FP.

After years of working in both, including the Gulf Coast area in August, I can confidently say that I think most of it is in the umpire's head. You want to stay cool and comfortable, get off the dirt and onto the grass.

Once again, JMHO,

Old Thu Apr 14, 2005, 04:53pm
Ref Ump Welsch

Talking

Don't yell at me folks, but this might stir you up a little. Especially you Mike. Here in Omaha, if we have a fast-pitch tournament over the weekend that is not a qualifier of some sort, and for some reason we are short blues who normally work fast-pitch, some of us slow-pitch guys will help out on the bases. If that is the case, the slow-pitch blues are allowed to wear their shorts. Sort of torks off the fast-pitch guys because they're wearing pants and all equip behind the plate. UIC does this just to "encourage" some help to come out. I'll admit I'm more of a slow-pitch guy, but I'll wear pants if I'm working a fast-pitch game out of respect to those guys.
Old Thu Apr 14, 2005, 10:11pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by Ref Ump Welsch
Don't yell at me folks, but this might stir you up a little. Especially you Mike. Here in Omaha, if we have a fast-pitch tournament over the weekend that is not a qualifier of some sort, and for some reason we are short blues who normally work fast-pitch, some of us slow-pitch guys will help out on the bases. If that is the case, the slow-pitch blues are allowed to wear their shorts. Sort of torks off the fast-pitch guys because they're wearing pants and all equip behind the plate. UIC does this just to "encourage" some help to come out. I'll admit I'm more of a slow-pitch guy, but I'll wear pants if I'm working a fast-pitch game out of respect to those guys.
That doesn't bother me. I just think that wearing shorts with shin guards and I don't know what color socks just looks amateurish.