The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Thu Jan 06, 2000, 10:58pm
Official Forum Member

Just curious to know... In our association,like everyone else, we spend countless hours trying to make our officials call the same, have similar or identical mechanics, and so on. But one problem ... we can't seem to dress the same. Different 'styles' of shirts (mesh, poly, etc), slacks (pleated, non-pleated, western cut), different types of lanyards, 'white' on the soles of the shoes. What are other areas doing to address this situation? Or, is our circumstances isolated? Or, do we have some people making a mountain out of a molehill?

Thanks
Old Fri Jan 07, 2000, 01:24am
Official Forum Member

KDM,

1. Black pants, with or without belt. Personally I think pleated pants make you look like a wimp, but that is what is being accepted at upper levels.
2. Stripped shirt. Our association allows mesh shirst.
3. Black shoes with no white on them (unless the official has a contract with NIKE).
4. Black socks.
5. A black lanyard, of any style, though we do have officials who do not use a lanyard.

I guess my point is, that the standard is black, black, black, and stripped. Whether or not variations are allowed would be up to your local association.
6. Black undershirt.
Old Fri Jan 07, 2000, 02:51am
Official Forum Member

The only thing to add to this...and it comes from our college assocation...our high school doesn't care for some reason, which is beyond me as to why, but if you are going to wear pleated pants, which by the way I really like it looks better, and or a mesh shirt, your partner has to wear the same thing. As for lynard or smitty it is what ever you like. Same with the jacket, you both have one, or niether of you have one for the night.
Old Fri Jan 07, 2000, 09:53am
Official Forum Member

I just want to know where to sign up for that Nike contract....

------------------
Brian Johnson
Old Fri Jan 07, 2000, 10:54am
In Memoriam

Thumbs down

quote:
[b]Originally posted by Dennis .... Same with the jacket, you both have one, or niether of you have one for the night.

I have a problem with veteran lower level refs that don't even have jackets. If I know they have one and forgot it, I don't feel so strongly.
If they don't have a jacket and are wearing white shoes, why should you alter your uniform to match Mr. WRONG, aren't you just telling him that it's okay to dress funny?
mick
Old Fri Jan 07, 2000, 02:08pm
Official Forum Member

Cool

It is just not right to go out to the floor with 1 of you in a jacket, and the other not in a jacket. If he forgot it that's one thing, but if I work with someone who doesn't have one yet...they will be told to go get one.
Old Tue Jan 11, 2000, 01:17am
Official Forum Member

Send a message via Yahoo to Indy_Ref
Angry

I can't understand the pleated pants thing. I think it looks ridiculous. Aren't we out there to look sleek and trim? Pleats make for a baggy look...one that I don't think is a desired look.

I can only think of 2 officials in my state that I have seen in pleats, and it didn't look too good. I also believe that whatever shirt you wear under your stripes shouldn't be seen by the public. Hence, I always wear a V-neck under my stripes.