The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Softball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Sun Mar 08, 2009, 10:41pm
Official Forum Member

Is there a mechanic for this ?

ASA rules, 12U, decent teams, 1 man system. Its a friendly tourney so free wheeling subs etc . 1 man was enough for these games.

I had a couple of things break out on this particular play . So I'll make 2 or 3 threads of this play.

R2 on 3B, R1 on 2B, ball four to batter thats gets away from catcher.

R1 bolts on seeing ball get away. R2 and R1 both end up on 3B. F5 gets the ball from the catcher and tags both runners. I have R1 as now being out.

Is there something i could say or do that lets everybody know which runner I have an out on ?

I called an out but quite frankly everyone but me seemed to be confused to which runner I had out.

I'm hoping I haven't missed the painfully obvious.

Thoughts ?
Old Sun Mar 08, 2009, 11:59pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via Skype™ to 7in60
How about pointing in the direction of (at) the runner you called out, in this case the second base side of third?
Old Mon Mar 09, 2009, 06:56am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by 7in60 View Post
How about pointing in the direction of (at) the runner you called out, in this case the second base side of third?
Works for me.

Not much else you can do. The ball is still live and if the front runner and/or coach doesn't understand the rule in this case and R2 strays off the base, the defense has every right to attempt to retire her.

And don't take any crap from the coach. It is his/her job to know what is going on, not yours to instruct them as the play is unfolding.
Old Mon Mar 09, 2009, 07:34am
Official Forum Member

Don't know how well the girls will understand this in a 12U game, but how about pointing to the runner with the left hand and calling "trailing runner is out?"

Don't know if the girls will understand it, but hopefully, an adult coach will understand what that means.

Oh crap, we're talking about coaches here... Never mind!

I haven't decided if I should call it from the dugout or the outfield. Apparently, both have really great views!

Screw green, it ain't easy being blue!

I won't be coming here that much anymore. I might check in now and again.
Old Mon Mar 09, 2009, 02:49pm
Official Forum Member

I'm probably sticking my foot in my mouth...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chess Ref View Post
ASA rules, 12U, decent teams, 1 man system. Its a friendly tourney so free wheeling subs etc . 1 man was enough for these games.

I had a couple of things break out on this particular play . So I'll make 2 or 3 threads of this play.

R2 on 3B, R1 on 2B, ball four to batter thats gets away from catcher.

R1 bolts on seeing ball get away. R2 and R1 both end up on 3B. F5 gets the ball from the catcher and tags both runners. I have R1 as now being out.

Is there something i could say or do that lets everybody know which runner I have an out on ?

I called an out but quite frankly everyone but me seemed to be confused to which runner I had out.

I'm hoping I haven't missed the painfully obvious.

Thoughts ?
and not thinking clearly but would it really matter which runner was out and which was not. Won't you still have a runner on 3rd with the same number of outs?
Old Mon Mar 09, 2009, 02:56pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by DeputyUICHousto View Post
and not thinking clearly but would it really matter which runner was out and which was not. Won't you still have a runner on 3rd with the same number of outs?
I guess preventative... you don't want the wrong player to believe she is out, leave the base, and then be tagged out.
Old Mon Mar 09, 2009, 03:40pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dakota View Post
I guess preventative... you don't want the wrong player to believe she is out, leave the base, and then be tagged out.
Not to mention the fact that you're assuming that all runners are created equal. Some are faster than others, some are slower than others. It's best to get the call right.

I haven't decided if I should call it from the dugout or the outfield. Apparently, both have really great views!

Old Mon Mar 09, 2009, 04:26pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via Skype™ to 7in60
Quote:
Originally Posted by NCASAUmp View Post
Don't know how well the girls will understand this in a 12U game, but how about pointing to the runner with the left hand and calling "trailing runner is out?"
I like that addendum.
Old Mon Mar 09, 2009, 06:12pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by DeputyUICHousto View Post
Stats. All about the stats. 12U DD's fathers are insanely crazy about keeping their kids' stats.
Old Mon Mar 09, 2009, 07:08pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by NCASAUmp View Post
Honestly don't care about the girls understanding whats going on. It was so I could be comfortable when the sitch arises again. I got that part of the call right. It just seemed uncomfortable.

So you're todays lucky winner and i will point with my left hand while calling "trailing runner is out ! "

hopefully it will happen while its fresh on my mind.
Old Mon Mar 09, 2009, 09:58pm
Official Forum Member

Speaking of proper mechanics, I'd assume that by the time the HP umpire [in this case, the only umpire] has moved up the 3B line to make a call, that s/he's holding the mask in the left hand.

Given that, is it proper convention to be "pointing" with your mask in your hand? I was taught to remove the mask w/ the left hand and carry it in the left hand. So far, so good. I only made one out call with the mask in my right hand.

On a ball close to the line in right field, I still point fair with my right hand/arm, meaning my back is almost to 1B. If the batted ball was a line drive, I might still have my mask on when I see it and make the call, then try to remove the mask and get to wherever else I'm supposed to get to. If it's a blooper or anything with some height to it, I'll take the mask off.

Ted
Old Mon Mar 09, 2009, 11:04pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tru_in_Blu View Post
Speaking of proper mechanics, I'd assume that by the time the HP umpire [in this case, the only umpire] has moved up the 3B line to make a call, that s/he's holding the mask in the left hand.

Given that, is it proper convention to be "pointing" with your mask in your hand? I was taught to remove the mask w/ the left hand and carry it in the left hand. So far, so good. I only made one out call with the mask in my right hand.

On a ball close to the line in right field, I still point fair with my right hand/arm, meaning my back is almost to 1B. If the batted ball was a line drive, I might still have my mask on when I see it and make the call, then try to remove the mask and get to wherever else I'm supposed to get to. If it's a blooper or anything with some height to it, I'll take the mask off.

Ted
Do you not signal safe with both hands? Signal a fair ball down the 1B line with your left hand? Signal a dead ball with both hands?

I think a simple point with your left hand, mask or no mask, would be just fine.

Old Mon Mar 09, 2009, 11:37pm
Official Forum Member

If I remember right, you are like 6'6"?

I'm pretty sure if you ran up to the girl and towered over her and screamed at the top of your lungs while pointing at her face "YOU YES YOU YEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEERRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRR RRRRRR OUTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTT!"

She'd get the message.
Old Tue Mar 10, 2009, 06:31am
Official Forum Member

Tell me if I'm mistaken as I don't have the experience that you guys do, but as I envision myself in this situation, I envision myself making two calls. I assume that R2 (for future reference the lead runner should be designated R1, with the trailing runner being R2) was tagged first while standing on third base. When that happened, I would have made a safe call. Then, when R1 was tagged, assuming that R2 had not stepped off of third base, I would have made the out call on that runner. I think the point is a great idea, along with announcing that the trailing runner, or even "that" runner with the point would get the message across.
Old Tue Mar 10, 2009, 07:50am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlitzkriegBob View Post
Tell me if I'm mistaken as I don't have the experience that you guys do, but as I envision myself in this situation, I envision myself making two calls. I assume that R2 (for future reference the lead runner should be designated R1, with the trailing runner being R2) was tagged first while standing on third base. When that happened, I would have made a safe call. Then, when R1 was tagged, assuming that R2 had not stepped off of third base, I would have made the out call on that runner. I think the point is a great idea, along with announcing that the trailing runner, or even "that" runner with the point would get the message across.
I'd be careful about announcing "that runner." We all remember how well it was received when McCain talked about "that guy."

Let's not get into a political debate here; I use that only as an example of how it could be received to say "that runner" and point.