The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Softball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Sun Mar 01, 2009, 09:48am
Official Forum Member

A bit off topic, but looking for suggestions...

My younger son (almost 14) is following in the footsteps. He started umpiring Little League last year. He's dilligent and takes it seriously. There are three LLs in our town. Last year, he worked exclusively in the league in which he used to play. This year he is branching out and will work for another league too, accross town.

He got an e-mail from the accross town league's UIC asking him to work a practice game "so he can see him work". That's cool: I'd probably want to do the same thing. So he works the game...and then - after the game - he's told that they don't pay for practice games.

I asked him to forward the e-mail to me. There's no mention of pay (or lack there of). Plus, he made 20 bucks for working the plate in a practice game the night before, working in his regular league.

OK. I'm torn...even though he probably would have taken the game as a "try-out" for no pay, I definitely think he got taken advantage of.

There's some wise folks here. I'm looking for suggestions. Should I...

1. leave it alone - life lesson
2. make a call to the UIC (who I don't know) and/or the league President (who I do know)?
3. advise, but let him handle it in some way?
4. other

Generally, I dispense advice but let both boys handle their own issues. Somehow though this different. OK. Thanks.
Old Sun Mar 01, 2009, 10:18am
Official Forum Member

IMO, Leave it alone and he learned a lesson. If the assignor doesn't bring up payment the assignee should. It could be one of those things where, assuming he did a good job, it will pay off doing one for free and reaping the benefits of getting a bunch of games during the year.
Old Sun Mar 01, 2009, 10:26am
Official Forum Member

I understand at 14, you may not know all the right questions to ask and that is probably because you haven't been around long enough to realize the things that could go/be wrong.

The point that LL is paying is a plus. From what I understand, different leagues do so on their own, not at the direction of LL. That alone, in my mind, would dismiss an assumption of pay.

Question would be if your son approached to UIC (applied for a job, per se) or the UIC was seeking to add your son to his stable.

If the UIC initiated the contact, it would be his obligation to watch the umpire work. If the umpire is trying to find a place to work, it is the umpire's obligation to provide a resume which may include an audition.

To me, it is a lesson learned. Advise son to make no assumptions in the future with this group. Once inside, he may like it, or not. I would not judge the group solely by this incident. As far as they know, everyone else does it their way.
Old Sun Mar 01, 2009, 06:04pm
Official Forum Member

3. If he's old enough to umpire, he's old enough to take care of the situation himself -- with your counsel. I would have him call the guy and ask for an explanation, saying he got paid for a practice game and was under the impression he was going to get paid for this. Have him listen to the response and get a feel for if the guy realizes it was truly a misunderstanding or if he was indeed trying to take advantage of him.
Old Sun Mar 01, 2009, 07:34pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Texas Aggie View Post
3. If he's old enough to umpire, he's old enough to take care of the situation himself -- with your counsel. I would have him call the guy and ask for an explanation, saying he got paid for a practice game and was under the impression he was going to get paid for this. Have him listen to the response and get a feel for if the guy realizes it was truly a misunderstanding or if he was indeed trying to take advantage of him.
Most Aggies are usually as dumb as a box of rocks, but thats solid advice...
Old Sun Mar 01, 2009, 07:51pm
Official Forum Member

Thanks, guys, for weighing in, and for confirming my thoughts on the matter.