The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Softball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Mon Mar 02, 2009, 07:58pm
Official Forum Member

FeetBallRef, the official baseball rule book has changed little over the past century. It is not very long, and much of the wording is by now quite well known, familiar even to the general public.

Still, there are several volumes of material, published by various authorities, that explain how to interpret the rule book. J/R, MLBUM, PBUC, BRD, and Evans are among the best known. (Even then, there are ambiguities and disagreements.) In other words, as with the U.S. Constitution, there are the relatively few words, and then there are the enormous quantities of interpretation.
Old Tue Mar 03, 2009, 09:04am
Official Forum Member

Question

Folks, A few more questions & hopefully I'll be a happy camper.

If the Fielder leaves their feet in fair territory and catches the ball over the fence and then lands over the fence in dead-ball territory, it is still a catch correct???

If the Fielder reaches over the fence to catch the ball, the ball hits the heel of the glove and the ball then comes back over the fence in fair territory and hits the ground, it is a fair ball that is in play like any other ball hit into the outfield, correct???

Old Tue Mar 03, 2009, 09:39am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by FeetBallRef View Post

If the Fielder leaves their feet in fair territory and catches the ball over the fence and then lands over the fence in dead-ball territory, it is still a catch correct???
Rule books differ in their requirements for what is a catch versus not a catch when the fielder goes out of bounds. However, as far as I know (and other guys correct me if I'm wrong), if a fielder catches a fly ball (meeting all of that org's requirements for what constitutes a catch) with both of her feet in live ball territory and THEN goes out of bounds, it's a catch, regardless of the rule organization. If the fielder has control of the ball with both feet in live ball territory, ASA calls this one a catch. It doesn't require the fielder to take a step or two steps or make a football move, etc. Both feet in live ball territory + control of ball in glove OR hand = catch.

Quote:
Originally Posted by FeetBallRef
If the Fielder reaches over the fence to catch the ball, the ball hits the heel of the glove and the ball then comes back over the fence in fair territory and hits the ground, it is a fair ball that is in play like any other ball hit into the outfield, correct???

So long as the ball never touched anything in dead ball territory, yes. It's the same as if it had been hit to the middle of the outfield.

I haven't decided if I should call it from the dugout or the outfield. Apparently, both have really great views!

Screw green, it ain't easy being blue!

I won't be coming here that much anymore. I might check in now and again.
Old Tue Mar 03, 2009, 11:42am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by FeetBallRef View Post

Assuming there is no question with the "catch" (different discussion), a fielder is still considered in play and available to make a legal catch as long as neither foot is completely in contact with DBT. If any part of the foot is in contact with the "out of play" line, the player is considered in play for the purposes of making the catch. ASA 1.Catch.A.3

Quote:
Assuming this occurred between the foul poles, yes it is still in play. If outside the foul poles when touched, it is a foul ball regardless of where it lands when it returns to the field of play.

Speaking ASA (and probably just about every other rule set)
Old Tue Mar 03, 2009, 12:03pm
Official Forum Member

Below is some info from ASA & NFHS.

Most newer fields [not that I get to work a lot of those] have outfield fences that are high enough that a player couldn't fall over after making a catch. But if the fence was short enough where a player could jump up, make a catch, and then fall backwards over the fence, I'm assuming the catch/out stands and any runners would advance one base.

Softball & baseball have different rules, obviously. I'm thinking of an outfielder in Fenway Park robbing a hitter of a home run in right field and then falling over the fence. Are baserunners awarded a base then? Sorry to sully the softball forum with a baseball reference.

Ted

ASA

CATCH/NO CATCH:

A. A catch is a legally caught ball, which occurs when the fielder catches a
batted, pitched or thrown ball with the hand(s) or glove/mitt.

1. To establish a valid catch, the fielder shall hold the ball long enough to
prove control of it and/or that the release of the ball is voluntary.

2. If the ball is merely held in the fielder’s arm(s) or prevented from dropping
to the ground by some part of the fielder’s body, equipment or clothing,
the catch is not completed until the ball is in the grasp of the fielder’s
hand(s) or glove.

3. The fielder’s feet must be within the field of play, touching the “out of
play” line or in the air after leaving live ball territory in order to have a
valid catch. A player who is “out of play” and returns must have both
feet touching live ball territory or one foot touching and the other in the
air, for the catch to be legal.

B. It is not a catch:

1. If a fielder, while gaining control, collides with another player, umpire
or a fence, or falls to the ground and drops the ball as a result of the
collision or falling to the ground.

2. If a ball strikes anything other than a defensive player while it is in flight
is the same as if it struck the ground.

3. When a fielder catches a batted or thrown ball with anything other than
the hand(s) or glove in its proper place.

CATCH AND CARRY: A legal catch that a defensive player carries into dead ball territory.

NFHS

2-9-4… For a legal catch, a fielder must catch and have secure possession of the ball before stepping, touching or falling into a dead-ball area. A fielder who falls over or through the fence after making a catch shall be credited with the catch. A fielder who catches a ball while contacting or stepping on a collapsible fence, which is not completely horizontal, is credited with a catch.

NFHS Casebook 5.1.1 Situation K: While attempting to make a catch, F3 (a) leaves live-ball territory with one foot and then steps back into live-ball territory to make the catch, or (b) dives from live-ball territory and, before coming to rest landing completely in dead-ball territory, makes the catch. RULING: In (a) and (b), the catch is allowed. In (b), the ball becomes dead as soon as either, one of F3’s feet touches completely in dead-ball territory, or any other part of her body touches dead-ball territory. Runners are awarded one base. (5-1-1i Note: 8-4-3i)