The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Softball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Mon Feb 23, 2009, 04:06pm
softball_junky

20 seconds pitching rule

ASA Fast Pitch, Pitching rule stating the pitcher has 20 seconds to release the next pitch. I have seen NCAA umpires call this, it seems that they call a dead ball and then award a ball on the batter. It it the same in ASA?
Old Mon Feb 23, 2009, 04:48pm
Official Forum Member

The NCAA rule isn't exactly that. In the NCAA, once the pitcher receives the ball, she has 10 seconds to toe the pitching plate (the batter has the same 10 seconds to get in the batter's box ready to hit); violating that is a dead ball and a ball awarded to the batter.

Once both pitcher and batter have complied, a new 10 second count starts, wherein the pitcher must bring her hands together (and the batter should not be granted time during that count, without a specific need); again, violating that is a dead ball and a ball awarded to the batter.

Once the pitcher has brought her hands together, she must separate (start the actual pitch) within 5 seconds (and the batter should only be granted time for a specific need, again); violating that part of the rule is a dead ball, and an awarded ball on the batter.

While this sounds like the pitcher has 25 seconds, each segment stands alone; the first may take 5 seconds, the second count starts. The second may take 5 seconds; the third part starts.

The NCAA mechanic is the umpire shall declare "dead ball", and announce that the pitcher has "violated the time between pitches rule"; then give the new count with the awarded ball.

The ASA rule allows a combined 20 seconds (except that the pitcher may not have her hands together more than 10 seconds); the mechanic should be the same.
Old Mon Feb 23, 2009, 09:49pm
softball_junky

Thanks Steve
Old Tue Feb 24, 2009, 09:31am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by AtlUmpSteve View Post
The NCAA rule isn't exactly that. In the NCAA, once the pitcher receives the ball, she has 10 seconds to toe the pitching plate (the batter has the same 10 seconds to get in the batter's box ready to hit); violating that is a dead ball and a ball awarded to the batter.
IF the violating is done by the pitcher!

It's a small world, but I wouldn't want to have to paint it.
Old Tue Feb 24, 2009, 10:34am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skahtboi View Post
IF the violating is done by the pitcher!
True.

I also editorialized by adding that batters shouldn't be granted time during these counts without a specific need. I have to admit that is one of my pet peeves, when, despite clear direction in both NCAA and NFHS, umpires consistently grant time any time a batter requests it. I just don't grasp why you would do that??

Batters ask for time 99.9% of the time because the pitcher hasn;t thrown the pitch in the time frame the batters wants it thrown. Is there some rule or promise that the pitcher is to do that? The pitcher must throw the pitch within 'x' seconds; if the pitcher doesn't, there is a penalty. If the batter wants time before that, when the pitcher hasn't violated, and the count should be continuing, there is no rules basis to grant it!! There is every rules basis to NOT grant it.

I worked a D1 tournament this past weekend, and saw time granted over and over; in my game, I said "no", and they adjusted. If we could only send that consistent message.
Old Tue Feb 24, 2009, 12:48pm
Official Forum Member

Steve, I agree with your last statement. I called time all last (NCAA) season, and was directed to not do so at my regional tournament (very difficult to switch gears, and of course I called "time" the first instance). Not surprisingly, I saw time being granted on television in the weeks following my regional.
I know it was stressed at a high level college clinic in the fall. I was really looking forward to this being a) in the manual and b) discussed at the regional clinic. I think it was mentioned in Tampa (so I have heard), but not in Philly.

I did get clarification in an email that to not grant time if the pitcher in within her rights (expection for dust, insects, etc.) and how it should be called. Ironically, your mechanic of "No" was mentioned as what not to do (as it might be mistaken for "No pitch"). The suggested language is "the ball is live" or "we are still playing" (I can provide you with the reference if needed).
Old Tue Feb 24, 2009, 02:26pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by AtlUmpSteve View Post
...I said "no", and they adjusted. If we could only send that consistent message.
In Lori and Malcolm's clinic this last week, that was specifically emphasized - say "no".
Old Tue Feb 24, 2009, 02:29pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Big Slick View Post
Ironically, your mechanic of "No" was mentioned as what not to do (as it might be mistaken for "No pitch"). The suggested language is "the ball is live" or "we are still playing" (I can provide you with the reference if needed).
Quote:
Originally Posted by SRW View Post
In Lori and Malcolm's clinic this last week, that was specifically emphasized - say "no".
Seems there is once again contradiction going around. The only way to remedy this is to have it mentioned in the 2010 CCA Umpire Improvement Manual AND to have it discussed at all of the NCAA Regional Clinics.

Old Tue Feb 24, 2009, 11:48pm
Official Forum Member

To correct my own post:

I actually say "Time is NOT granted, let's play", not the word "no"; and have had limited resistance, beyond "why do some umpires refuse, when others grant it routinely".

Locally, I am told I am the "ONLY" UIC that stresses it, and that my umpires are the only ones that call it that way; even at ASA Gold Territorial, Regional, and Nationals.

The problem really isn't how it is refused; it is with those that grant it, and make us (that refuse it because we understand we should refuse) look like the fools.

Last edited by AtlUmpSteve; Tue Feb 24, 2009 at 11:51pm.
Old Wed Feb 25, 2009, 10:16am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skahtboi View Post
Seems there is once again contradiction going around. The only way to remedy this is to have it mentioned in the 2010 CCA Umpire Improvement Manual AND to have it discussed at all of the NCAA Regional Clinics.

Execpt that there are no more Regional Clinics. Next year they will be online.
Old Wed Feb 25, 2009, 11:59am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scooby View Post
Execpt that there are no more Regional Clinics. Next year they will be online.

Is it next year they are going to the ESO clinics?? It will be interesting to see how this pans out.