The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Softball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Tue Jun 11, 2002, 11:26pm
Official Forum Member

Thumbs down

Ok you might have read in one of nxtblue recent post and I also have several other BLUE buddies that are being told the same thing in this area and that is if you want to be considered for the big ASA tournaments and the National that you better not call tournament ball for OTHER Organizations in this area.

Though this does not effect me in anyway I have a real problem with this coming from ASA high ups in this area and I wonder if this situation is the same in other areas or is this just a local problem. My thinking is this is probably even illegal by law if anybody would want to fight it. We BLUES are considered contract labor and no way our we employees of ASA so I dont believe that by anyway they should be able to regulate who we do or dont call for. I believe ASA should only be concern with having the best umps on the field for their tournaments and NOT umps who will only call for them or be BLACK-BALLED

Anyway I was just wondering of this is a local thing or ASA nation wide thing

Thanks

Don
Old Wed Jun 12, 2002, 03:57am
Official Forum Member

Don,
This may not be national, but it is in every part of the country - at least those parts where I have spoke to folks. And I am absolutely positive that it is not an "official" ASA policy.

Having said that, Don, the practice is what the practice is and we each need to make the decision to go along with it or not. That is the practice of my district commissioner and I went along with it for some time. Since he has done nothing to help advance umpiring in this district - he has actually gotten in the way a number of times - I have decided to work under a number of other sanctioning bodies including some baseball groups. I expect to continue to register for ASA through him, but I believe that the only championship ball I will work will be through a different district.

Steve M
Old Wed Jun 12, 2002, 05:04pm
Official Forum Member

Here in my part of the country, ASA is losing control to other organizations. This sounds like an effort to keep control of a majority of softball tournaments and leagues.
Old Wed Jun 12, 2002, 05:41pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by Steve M
Don,
This may not be national, but it is in every part of the country - at least those parts where I have spoke to folks. And I am absolutely positive that it is not an "official" ASA policy.

Having said that, Don, the practice is what the practice is and we each need to make the decision to go along with it or not. That is the practice of my district commissioner and I went along with it for some time. Since he has done nothing to help advance umpiring in this district - he has actually gotten in the way a number of times - I have decided to work under a number of other sanctioning bodies including some baseball groups. I expect to continue to register for ASA through him, but I believe that the only championship ball I will work will be through a different district.

Steve M
We are having same problem is this sectin of the woods. East
Texas. We were told if we turned down an ASA tournament for
another association {ie AFA, USSSA, etc.} just to turn in our
ASA card, cause we would be finished. I, like Steve, work under
other sanctioning bodies, also get ASA assignments other ways.
I know the only way I will do championship ball will
be with AFA, USSSA or Dixie. Although last year I slipped through
the cracks and did a State 16U B tournament.

glen
Sail away from the safe harbor. Catch the trade winds in your sails.
Explore. Dream. Discover."
--Mark Twain.
Old Wed Jun 12, 2002, 06:48pm
Official Forum Member

Don't feel bad, here on the east coast ASA has done the same thing to us. Most of the umpires and I included work for other organizations. ASA is not growing here and as a matter of fact I think they are even losing both teams in tournaments and umpires. What gives with these people, there is enough ball for all the organization. It seems that all they are doing is under bidding each other to take over different leagues and the only group loosing is the umpires.
Old Thu Jun 13, 2002, 11:54am
Official Forum Member

This is NOT an ASA policy. For that matter, ASA is well aware they have no control what you do on your own time. I worked the ASA Men's Major NC last year in Lawton, OK. With the exception of two umpires, including myself, everyone worked games for other sanctioning bodies. Two were local UICs for some of the competition (U-trip & NSA).
We actually had this discussion after lunch the first day there.

Here is my take. If I need to make a decision on which umpire to use or send away, my first concern is going to be the umpire's ability. However, with all things being equal, the umpire who is true to ASA will get the nod.

It is common sense. Why would you "reward" an umpire with a National who does not give your organization a priority when you have an equal umpire working every ASA tournament available? Just being a registered member of any organization doesn't give an umpire inherent rights to rewards from that organization.

JMHO,

Old Thu Jun 13, 2002, 03:24pm
Official Forum Member

Mike,
For the most part, I agree with you. All things being equal................

However, just like every other organization/office/and every place else, sometimes you get somebody in a position who's only interest is in themself. That's how it is in my district. So, after a number of years of doing nothing but ASA in the summer and watching the damage this guy has done to umpiring in general (I think he'd state most of Joel's myths are true), I've had enough and won't work there any more.

There are other districts in my state that do not follow this practice. Like I said, I was positive that it was not policy - but it is the practice of some. And "some" is lots more than it should be.

I have no problem with being selected or even passed over if due to merit. And if all else is equal, add in some intangibles. I don't think anyone in their right mind would object to that. Unfortunately, that ain't how it is in a number of places - here being one of them.

Steve M
Old Thu Jun 13, 2002, 03:26pm
Official Forum Member

Cool Mike

I dont think any of us would disagree with what you just said BUT my understanding is these UMPS are being black-balled for working other Organzaitons when there is no ASA tournament ball being played in this area at the same time. Which in my opinion is WRONG....

JMO

Don
Old Thu Jun 13, 2002, 07:26pm
Official Forum Member

Re: Mike

Quote:
Originally posted by oppool
I dont think any of us would disagree with what you just said BUT my understanding is these UMPS are being black-balled for working other Organzaitons when there is no ASA tournament ball being played in this area at the same time. Which in my opinion is WRONG....

JMO

Don
I'm not disagreeing with you. But are these same umpires true to ASA when there IS a tournament in the area? That can make all the difference with some folks.

Old Thu Jun 13, 2002, 10:13pm
Official Forum Member

[/B][/QUOTE]
Don,

I'm not disagreeing with you. But are these same umpires true to ASA when there IS a tournament in the area? That can make all the difference with some folks.
[/B][/QUOTE]

Mike,

ASA always comes first with my group. If there is no ASA assignment, then we should be able to call for other organizations. We're lucky around here for the most part. It's unusual NOT to have an ASA tournament that doesn't need coverage. But on those open weekends, local officials go to the "other" tournaments to see who is umpiring. These are the same officials that submit umpires for the ASA big time tourneys.

BTW, I was looking forward to meeting Mr. Profato (sp?) last week at advanced school. He was listed as an instructor, but he didn't make it to Killeen. You had spoken so highly of him, I was hoping to get to work with him. I did get to work with Billy P.& Bob S. Bob is a real character.

Gary
Old Fri Jun 14, 2002, 12:05pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by ntxblue
Don,

[/B][/QUOTE]

Mike,

ASA always comes first with my group. If there is no ASA assignment, then we should be able to call for other organizations. We're lucky around here for the most part. It's unusual NOT to have an ASA tournament that doesn't need coverage. But on those open weekends, local officials go to the "other" tournaments to see who is umpiring. These are the same officials that submit umpires for the ASA big time tourneys.

BTW, I was looking forward to meeting Mr. Profato (sp?) last week at advanced school. He was listed as an instructor, but he didn't make it to Killeen. You had spoken so highly of him, I was hoping to get to work with him. I did get to work with Billy P.& Bob S. Bob is a real character.

Gary [/B][/QUOTE]

Bob Savoie is the man! You might catch Bernie Profato on TV some nights. For those who do not know, Bernie is the third man in the ring for some pro fights. I occasionally catch him on ESPN2.