View Single Post
Old Thu Jun 13, 2002, 11:54am
Official Forum Member

This is NOT an ASA policy. For that matter, ASA is well aware they have no control what you do on your own time. I worked the ASA Men's Major NC last year in Lawton, OK. With the exception of two umpires, including myself, everyone worked games for other sanctioning bodies. Two were local UICs for some of the competition (U-trip & NSA).
We actually had this discussion after lunch the first day there.

Here is my take. If I need to make a decision on which umpire to use or send away, my first concern is going to be the umpire's ability. However, with all things being equal, the umpire who is true to ASA will get the nod.

It is common sense. Why would you "reward" an umpire with a National who does not give your organization a priority when you have an equal umpire working every ASA tournament available? Just being a registered member of any organization doesn't give an umpire inherent rights to rewards from that organization.

JMHO,