The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Softball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Wed Feb 04, 2009, 01:10pm
Official Forum Member

2009 ASA Rool buks

Received the 2009 ASA book last night. Nice pretty cover. Editor should be fired, tho.

Pg. 38: width of catcher's box is only listed correctly for 16" SP. No total width is shown for the other 3 games.

Pg. 162: 42 pages of safety awareness.

Pg. 219: Elements of a Success Umpire.

That's just a quick look. I'm sure I'll find more.
Old Wed Feb 04, 2009, 01:51pm
Ref Ump Welsch

Quote:
Originally Posted by SRW View Post
According to another thread, this wasn't an editorial mistake. Knowing some of the yahoos I work with around here, it was an editorial necessity.
Old Wed Feb 04, 2009, 01:51pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Received the 2009 ASA book last night. Nice pretty cover. Editor should be fired, tho.
They have an editor????
Old Wed Feb 04, 2009, 01:52pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:

Pg. 38: width of catcher's box is only listed correctly for 16" SP. No total width is shown for the other 3 games.

Pg. 219: Elements of a Success Umpire.

That's just a quick look. I'm sure I'll find more.
Quit yer whining!

It's a small world, but I wouldn't want to have to paint it.
Old Wed Feb 04, 2009, 01:53pm
Official Forum Member

Personally, I was glad to see some of the changes/updates to the book.

Old Wed Feb 04, 2009, 01:53pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dakota View Post
They have an editor????

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=E0PIdWdw15U

Old Tue Feb 10, 2009, 02:04am
Official Forum Member

Open up the 2009 rules.

Go to book page 106.

Read section B. Pay attention to the sentence beginning with "ASA's official playing rules" about half way thru the paragraph.

Now, I'm disappointed that ASA has not taken religious equality into consideration in their playing rules. Muslims and Jews will no longer play our sport.
Old Tue Feb 10, 2009, 02:55am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Open up the 2009 rules.

Go to book page 106.

Read section B. Pay attention to the sentence beginning with "ASA's official playing rules" about half way thru the paragraph.

Now, I'm disappointed that ASA has not taken religious equality into consideration in their playing rules. Muslims and Jews will no longer play our sport.
I'm not sure I'd want to umpire that game anyway. I have enough trouble with the drunks and smokers.
Old Tue Feb 10, 2009, 08:24am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by wadeintothem View Post
I'm not sure I'd want to umpire that game anyway. I have enough trouble with the drunks and smokers.
I don't drink THAT often, and I quit smoking!

Oh, I still haven't had a smoke since Jan 1, btw. Woohoo!

Back to the subject at hand, will they have the PDF version available this year? It's not on officialgear.com...

I haven't decided if I should call it from the dugout or the outfield. Apparently, both have really great views!

Screw green, it ain't easy being blue!

I won't be coming here that much anymore. I might check in now and again.
Old Tue Feb 10, 2009, 10:39am
Official Forum Member

Just flipping through my shiny new book...

(Page 168- Safety Awareness Guide) Catcher Masks and Throat Protectors for Juniour Olympic Fast Pitch: Catcher's must wear an approved batter's helmet with ear flaps, the catcher's helmet and mask, or an approved plastic face mask/guard with catcher's helmet. A throat protector for Junior Olympic fast pitch catchers is mandatory.

WTF? Compare that with the equipment rule covering catcher's gear found under rule 3.

"An approved batter's helmet" is something altogether different than a "catcher's helmet"- either the kind made to have a conventional mask attached or the hockey-style helmets.

"An approved batter's helmet" is one with an approved NOCSAE facemask permanently attached and a chin strap.

Can a catcher wear a batting helmet with a face mask instead of the usual catcher's headgear? Where do you properly attach a throat protector to that? Does the catcher need to wear a conventional mask over top of the batting helmet face mask?

"An approved plastic face mask/guard"- isn't that the "Game Face" style of face protector described under rule 3 as the kind that "any defensive player" can wear?

Can the Game Face-type mask (like the ones worn by pitchers) be a suitable replacement for a conventional catcher's mask?
Old Tue Feb 10, 2009, 01:43pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by BretMan View Post
Just flipping through my shiny new book...

(Page 168- Safety Awareness Guide) Catcher Masks and Throat Protectors for Juniour Olympic Fast Pitch: Catcher's must wear an approved batter's helmet with ear flaps, the catcher's helmet and mask, or an approved plastic face mask/guard with catcher's helmet. A throat protector for Junior Olympic fast pitch catchers is mandatory.

WTF? Compare that with the equipment rule covering catcher's gear found under rule 3.

"An approved batter's helmet" is something altogether different than a "catcher's helmet"- either the kind made to have a conventional mask attached or the hockey-style helmets.

"An approved batter's helmet" is one with an approved NOCSAE facemask permanently attached and a chin strap.

Can a catcher wear a batting helmet with a face mask instead of the usual catcher's headgear? Where do you properly attach a throat protector to that? Does the catcher need to wear a conventional mask over top of the batting helmet face mask?

"An approved plastic face mask/guard"- isn't that the "Game Face" style of face protector described under rule 3 as the kind that "any defensive player" can wear?

Can the Game Face-type mask (like the ones worn by pitchers) be a suitable replacement for a conventional catcher's mask?
Keep reading.
Old Tue Feb 10, 2009, 02:02pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by IRISHMAFIA View Post
Keep reading.
Keep reading because I'll eventually find something that explains this, or keep reading because I'll find even more confusing directives in the Safety Guide?

Just trying to narrow it down- there's, like, 290 more pages of stuff to read!
Old Tue Feb 10, 2009, 09:37pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Keep reading because I'll eventually find something that explains this, or keep reading because I'll find even more confusing directives in the Safety Guide?

Just trying to narrow it down- there's, like, 290 more pages of stuff to read!

Rule 3.5.D
Old Tue Feb 10, 2009, 11:56pm
Official Forum Member

Of course, I had already read the actual rule and suspected that's where you were pointing me.

The rule says that a catcher "cannot merely wear the plastic face mask/guard". Doesn't that mean wear it alone, minus other proctective headgear required by the rule?

The SAG (we have a new acronym, and it's not the Screen Actors Guild) says that a plastic face mask/guard may be worn with a catcher's helmet.

Which brings me back to one of my original questions: Is the plastic face mask/guard a suitable replacement for the standard catcher's mask? (Note that I didn't say, "For the standard mask AND the helmet".)

My bigger question: Why does the Safety Guide offer guidelines that are so contradictary to the existing rules?
Old Wed Feb 11, 2009, 07:51am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Of course, I had already read the actual rule and suspected that's where you were pointing me.

The rule says that a catcher "cannot merely wear the plastic face mask/guard". Doesn't that mean wear it alone, minus other proctective headgear required by the rule?

The SAG (we have a new acronym, and it's not the Screen Actors Guild) says that a plastic face mask/guard may be worn with a catcher's helmet.

Which brings me back to one of my original questions: Is the plastic face mask/guard a suitable replacement for the standard catcher's mask? (Note that I didn't say, "For the standard mask AND the helmet".)

My bigger question: Why does the Safety Guide offer guidelines that are so contradictary to the existing rules?
I must be missing your point because I don't see the contradiction.

TTBOMK, the Game Face or similar products to not carry NOCSAE-approval stamps, therefore would not be considered "approved".

Personally, this is one reason I think putting the SAG in the rule book is going to cause more issues in the future than it will provide resolution. IOW, I think it isn't too smart. Then again, I think it is stupid that manufacturers are required to put ludicrous safety warnings on their products. If someone needs to be told not to operate an electric saw while standing in a swimming pool filled with water, the world may be better off without them.