The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Softball

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Sun Nov 16, 2008, 09:47pm
Official Forum Member

ASA 2009 Code Changes

Now the bad news for umpires. While reducing the number of At Large and outside umpire for some National Tournaments, and shooting down proposed increases for some umpires, UICs & Asst. UICs, they increased the umpire registration fees by $3.00
Old Mon Nov 17, 2008, 12:04am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by IRISHMAFIA View Post
Now the bad news for umpires. While reducing the number of At Large and outside umpire for some National Tournaments, and shooting down proposed increases for some umpires, UICs & Asst. UICs, they increased the umpire registration fees by $3.00
So.... they didn't increase game fees?? Travel fees??

Did anyone fight for umpire increases??
Old Mon Nov 17, 2008, 12:25am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by socalumps View Post
So.... they didn't increase game fees?? Travel fees??

Did anyone fight for umpire increases??
Reminds me of working for the state...

I haven't decided if I should call it from the dugout or the outfield. Apparently, both have really great views!

Screw green, it ain't easy being blue!

I won't be coming here that much anymore. I might check in now and again.
Old Mon Nov 17, 2008, 09:16am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
I have no problem with the $3 increase at all. But, I do have a problem with the amount of money they pay for games at National Tournaments. I was told up front when I worked my first National that one works the National as an "honor" and not necessarily to make money.

I believed that for a while until it dawned on me that someone was making an awful lot of money while the umpire crews were slaving away in the summer heat for 7 inning no time limit games making $18 per game.

There is something wrong with that picture. I suppose that if you don't like it, then don't call them. And that is exactly what I intend to do.
Old Mon Nov 17, 2008, 09:24am
Official Forum Member

"honor"?? ohhh yeah and having some mommy(s) yelling at me about the strike zone or how could i call her DD out just because she's too slow to out run the throw to first? and Blue just let the kids play!! after i've called my 5th IP on a pitcher who refuses to drag her pivot foot? whatever happened to getting (reasonably) paid for a hard few hours work and taking pride in that? I say lets line up all the TD's and their "honor" and paintball them for a half hour.

ok, rant off
Old Mon Nov 17, 2008, 09:57am
Official Forum Member

I had heard that there was going to be a $5 increase in the umpire game fees for national tournaments starting in 2009...is that true?
Old Mon Nov 17, 2008, 10:48am
Official Forum Member

The money is not the issue with me. Event adding $7-8 bucks a game would be what? an extra $60 for the week at a National. Big deal.

With me, $18 a game is kind of degrading. It is a small slap in the face. "We pay you this little, because we can."

That said, I will keep on being degraded until I reach my personnal goals, then it will someone elses turn.

If you choose not to be degraded by that level of pay or the money is that big of a deal to you, then I wouldnt hold it against you for not wanting to work a national. Besides, that keeps the slots open for people who do want to work them.
Old Mon Nov 17, 2008, 10:51am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andy View Post
I had heard that there was going to be a $5 increase in the umpire game fees for national tournaments starting in 2009...is that true?
Sort of. Fast pitch fees were $18 for JO (except Gold), $20 for Gold and Adult (except Mens' Major), and $23 for Men's Major. Starting in 2009, all are now a minimum of $25.

Slow pitch game fees are unchanged. Adult is $20, JO is $16.

UIC's and National Office Reps increase from $50 a day to $100, and ***'t. UIC's increase from $25 to $50.

In the big picture, the budget had to be balanced, and either fees had to increase, or services cut (or both). The teams were raised as much as anyone thought was doable (33%, from $6 to $8), and that wouldn't cover the deficit. Umpires were raised 20%, from $15 to $18; that is the portion that goes to OKC. I figure that $3 increase is between a half inning and a full inning of work, so I had no problem accepting that umpires should also share in the process of keeping ASA fiscally sound.

The two measures combined came close, but short of balancing the proposed budget. The remainder is expected to come from increased ACE coaches participation, as ASA mandates certified coaches in championship play.

The proposals to increase the umpire and UIC fees were doomed, IMO; increases are approved (as noted above) effective 2009, and the proposed increases were too much, too soon ($30 for fast pitch umpires, $150 for UIC and National Office Rep, and $100 for ***'t. UIC).

Also, there won't be fewer umpires at National Tournaments; there will be fewer that ASA will be paying for their travel. There was no projection how much money that would save, but it also seems fiscally responsible to reduce the expenditures where possible, without damaging the program. The program continues to use At-Large umpires from outside the host association, it simply reduces the minimum mandated to receive National reimbursement. It leaves open the standard process of swapping slots to outside associations, to allow the umpires from any area to participate.

Just my take on these issues. There were hard choices to be made, and no one knew what services might be lost or reduced if ASA didn't raise the fees.
Old Mon Nov 17, 2008, 11:47am
Official Forum Member

I agree with Steve that there was no way another rate increase was going to be approved. Of course, the reason for them was to address Texasbock's opinion with which I disagree.

If you are in it for the money, fine, stay home. Those who have been to a national will tell you that in many, if not most, cases, the umpires are treated above and beyond what you get at many NQ/Regional/State/showcase tournaments including food, drink and entertainment that goes beyond game fees. I've even had a host do my laundry. There are, also, quite a few hosts which pay higher than the minimum provided for by code.

If one chooses to not work a national because of the pay, that is fine by those who want to work them.
Old Mon Nov 17, 2008, 12:04pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
I agree with Steve that there was no way another rate increase was going to be approved. Of course, the reason for them was to address Texasbock's opinion with which I disagree.

If one chooses to not work a national because of the pay, that is fine by those who want to work them.
Then why not save ASA more money and cut the game fees out completely for nationals? If you're not in it for the money, you're not in it for the money, right?
Old Mon Nov 17, 2008, 01:09pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by topper View Post
Then why not save ASA more money and cut the game fees out completely for nationals? If you're not in it for the money, you're not in it for the money, right?
I suspect you meant this as a rhetorical question, but I will answer it anyway.

When I attend an ASA National, I enjoy every part of the experience; the games, the umpire cameraderie, the discussions with my peers and those I respect, the socialization, and seeing some that I only see on those rare occasions. I don't treat that week as, and expect it to be, a money-making week.

At the same time, I hope to come out even. If the game fees cover the "incidental" costs of the week, it is a successful trip. If I return home with all my expenses (and beer) paid, I'm happy. The games are a bonus, the means to the process.

But, that's just me. I don't think I'm alone in thinking that way, but also don't think everyone thinks that way.
Old Mon Nov 17, 2008, 02:37pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Texasbock View Post
I have no problem with the $3 increase at all. But, I do have a problem with the amount of money they pay for games at National Tournaments. I was told up front when I worked my first National that one works the National as an "honor" and not necessarily to make money.

I believed that for a while until it dawned on me that someone was making an awful lot of money while the umpire crews were slaving away in the summer heat for 7 inning no time limit games making $18 per game.

There is something wrong with that picture. I suppose that if you don't like it, then don't call them. And that is exactly what I intend to do.
Damn, I was *****ing about getting only $29 per game in the NAFA Nationals.
Sail away from the safe harbor. Catch the trade winds in your sails.
Explore. Dream. Discover."
--Mark Twain.
Old Mon Nov 17, 2008, 03:19pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
I'm thinking this will result in fewer pitches being called a ball and the thirty-nine or forty-two outs (Depending on game managment) happening much quicker.
Old Mon Nov 17, 2008, 03:22pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by whiskers_ump View Post
Damn, I was *****ing about getting only $29 per game in the NAFA Nationals.
You are worth you're weight in gold Papa! That's why they pay you the big bucks!

Hope all is well on your end.......

Andy