Go Back   The Official Forum > Softball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Tue Feb 03, 2009, 01:13pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to argodad
Just call me "Stumpy"

Background

In 2001, just as I was planning retirement from the Navy, I was diagnosed with a very rare, very vicious, and very persistent SOB of a skin cancer called Merkel cell carcinoma. Its mortality rate is double that of melanoma. I’m lucky to be alive. From 2003-2005 it recurred four more times, all in my right leg. The docs tried surgery, chemotherapy, and radiation (aka slash, poison, and burn).

MCC hasn’t come back since 2005, but the excessive radiation has destroyed my lower leg and also caused another type of cancer called MFH—malignant fibrous histiocytoma. Bottom line—I’m going to have my leg amputated in the next couple of weeks. Hopefully they’ll be able to do a below-the-knee amputation.

The Future

I plan to be back on the field for the 2010 season. If our wounded warriors can run marathons on two prostheses, I sure can learn to umpire on one. Anyone have any experience with any of our brothers in blue who umpire on a prosthesis? I sure would like to learn lessons from them.

By the way, challenges for a$$-kicking contests will only be accepted for one more week.
Old Tue Feb 03, 2009, 02:08pm
Official Forum Member

While I feel compassion for your plight, I am in total admiration of your spirit and determination. I wish you the best with everything you have facing you.

It's a small world, but I wouldn't want to have to paint it.
Old Tue Feb 03, 2009, 02:09pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by argodad View Post
Background

By the way, challenges for a$$-kicking contests will only be accepted for one more week.
Eh...just make sure that during rehab you express an interest for this type of activity!

It's a small world, but I wouldn't want to have to paint it.
Old Tue Feb 03, 2009, 02:14pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skahtboi View Post
Eh...just make sure that during rehab you express an interest for this type of activity!
Yeah, maybe I can get a specially-designed prosthesis!
Old Tue Feb 03, 2009, 03:11pm
Official Forum Member

Damn, that sucks!

Hoping you and the doctors well during your operation and rehab. I have no doubt that you will be on the field next season.

Make sure the doctors are aware of your intentions, same with PTs. Some have certain programs developed for those with athletic ambitions.

Good luck. I'll be thinking of you. Make sure you let us know how things go and progress.
Old Tue Feb 03, 2009, 03:36pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Background

In 2001, just as I was planning retirement from the Navy, I was diagnosed with a very rare, very vicious, and very persistent SOB of a skin cancer called Merkel cell carcinoma. Its mortality rate is double that of melanoma. I’m lucky to be alive. From 2003-2005 it recurred four more times, all in my right leg. The docs tried surgery, chemotherapy, and radiation (aka slash, poison, and burn).

MCC hasn’t come back since 2005, but the excessive radiation has destroyed my lower leg and also caused another type of cancer called MFH—malignant fibrous histiocytoma. Bottom line—I’m going to have my leg amputated in the next couple of weeks. Hopefully they’ll be able to do a below-the-knee amputation.

The Future

I plan to be back on the field for the 2010 season. If our wounded warriors can run marathons on two prostheses, I sure can learn to umpire on one. Anyone have any experience with any of our brothers in blue who umpire on a prosthesis? I sure would like to learn lessons from them.

I did a National tournament with an umpire that was a double amputee. The umpire was from Southern California but has since moved to the Seattle area.

I know this umpire attended the Fast Pitch Advanced Camp a number of years ago and the staff agreed that with no runners on base he could sart behind the second baseman.

Unfortunately, I do not have a contact number of this umpire, but hopefully somebody on this board can provide you with his contact information.

Good luck.
Old Tue Feb 03, 2009, 03:43pm
Official Forum Member

arogodad,

Prayers and Best Wishes man. I know you will be back on
the field.
Sail away from the safe harbor. Catch the trade winds in your sails.
Explore. Dream. Discover."
--Mark Twain.
Old Tue Feb 03, 2009, 04:15pm
Official Forum Member

I'd also like to extend my kudos your way. You've got some serious heart, man.

I haven't decided if I should call it from the dugout or the outfield. Apparently, both have really great views!

Screw green, it ain't easy being blue!

I won't be coming here that much anymore. I might check in now and again.
Old Wed Feb 04, 2009, 12:42pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by MGKBLUE View Post
I did a National tournament with an umpire that was a double amputee. The umpire was from Southern California but has since moved to the Seattle area.

I know this umpire attended the Fast Pitch Advanced Camp a number of years ago and the staff agreed that with no runners on base he could sart behind the second baseman.

Unfortunately, I do not have a contact number of this umpire, but hopefully somebody on this board can provide you with his contact information.

Good luck.
That person is Mike Hodge, our umpire association's vice president. ASA did a story on him here:

http://www.asasoftball.com/communica...ry.asp?nid=387

Since this article, he has worked the 16A USA/ASA in 2006.

His contact info (email) is on our umpire association website, which is listed as my default website in my profile.
Old Wed Feb 04, 2009, 05:25pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by SRW View Post
That person is Mike Hodge, our umpire association's vice president. ASA did a story on him here:

http://www.asasoftball.com/communica...ry.asp?nid=387

Since this article, he has worked the 16A USA/ASA in 2006.

His contact info (email) is on our umpire association website, which is listed as my default website in my profile.
Thanks SRW. I just sent Mike an e-mail. Helluva story! I'm still planning to come out some year and work with you and bkbjones at your Labor Day tournament -- maybe 2010!

Last edited by argodad; Wed Feb 04, 2009 at 05:29pm.
Old Wed Feb 04, 2009, 05:36pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Thanks SRW. I just sent Mike an e-mail. Helluva story! I'm still planning to come out some year and work with you and bkbjones at your Labor Day tournament -- maybe 2010!
You name the date. Even without a right leg, I'd bet you move better than most of our guys!
Old Thu Feb 05, 2009, 05:17pm
Official Forum Member

Location: The Land Of The Free and The Home Of The Brave (MD/DE)
Quote:
Originally Posted by whiskers_ump View Post
arogodad,

Prayers and Best Wishes man. I know you will be back on
the field.
Same here, try to give us the date when you know.
Agree, heart and guts. Go to it!
Old Fri Feb 06, 2009, 01:01pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by CecilOne View Post
Same here, try to give us the date when you know.
Agree, heart and guts. Go to it!
The Coming Off Party will be Wednesday 11 Feb at 1:00 pm. I am ready.
Old Fri Feb 06, 2009, 02:01pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by SRW View Post
You name the date. Even without a right leg, I'd bet you move better than most of our guys!
I could name a bunch of blues around here who won't be as quick as Larry!

My best wishes to you, Larry. You'll do just fine.

I haven't decided if I should call it from the dugout or the outfield. Apparently, both have really great views!

Screw green, it ain't easy being blue!

I won't be coming here that much anymore. I might check in now and again.
Old Sun Feb 08, 2009, 03:37pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to TexBlue
Smile

My thoughts and prayers will be with you also. I have a friend who lost his left leg below the knee in October of 2007 and was on the field calling Fast Pitch in April of 2008. His biggest delay was getting the final prosthesis so he could move quicker , ummm, run. He never was fast. The doctor says there is no reason he can't be as mobile as he ever was.

Good luck to you and your family.

Last edited by TexBlue; Mon Feb 09, 2009 at 05:02pm.