Go Back   The Official Forum > Softball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Mon Feb 09, 2009, 12:57pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to argodad
Quote:
Originally Posted by TexBlue View Post
My thoughts and prayers will be with you also. I have a friend who lost his left leg below the knee in October of 2007 and was on the field calling Fast Pitch in April of 2008. His biggest delay was getting the final prosthesis so he could move quicker , ummm, run. He never was fast. The doctor says there is no reason he can't be as movile as he ever was.

Good luck to you and your family.
That's exactly what I needed to hear two days before surgery. Thanks TexBlue!

If y'all could say a little prayer for my surgeons about 1:00 pm Central on Wednesday, I'd greatly appreciate it.

I'll be back on-line as soon as I can find internet access.
Old Mon Feb 09, 2009, 02:07pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by argodad View Post
That's exactly what I needed to hear two days before surgery. Thanks TexBlue!

If y'all could say a little prayer for my surgeons about 1:00 pm Central on Wednesday, I'd greatly appreciate it.

I'll be back on-line as soon as I can find internet access.
Consider it done!

It's a small world, but I wouldn't want to have to paint it.
Old Thu Feb 19, 2009, 06:02pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to argodad
I'm back on the Forum

Hello fellow umpires!

Amputation on 2/11 was as good as could be expected, The surgeon whacked off the damaged limb below the knee. I understand that it is just about the perfect distance for fitting a prosthesis. No complications other than a fever for a few days. (Although it does feel mighty strange to need to scratch toes that are no longer there.)

Our local umpires and coaches in the Pensacola area have been wonderfully supportive. The FHSAA softball commissioner told me my new goal is to be the first amputee to call a Florida championship game.

I've also got to thank my brethren in blue from the opposite corner of the country. SRW and bkbjones hooked me up with the Seattle Metro VP who calls games as a double AKA (above the knee amputee). Now there is inspiration. He talked to others at their UIC Clinic and I ended up with a personal e-mail from Wild Bill himself.

I can't wait to get back on the field and earn the right to call games -- big and small, rec ball to NCAA.

Thanks for the prayers and the good thoughts. they were (and still are) welcome.
Old Thu Feb 19, 2009, 06:14pm
Official Forum Member

Great News! Glad it went well. See you back on the field soon!
Old Thu Feb 19, 2009, 09:34pm
Official Forum Member

Really great news.

Best of Luck and a speedy return to what you Love Doing.

You The Man.
Sail away from the safe harbor. Catch the trade winds in your sails.
Explore. Dream. Discover."
--Mark Twain.
Old Fri Feb 20, 2009, 01:06am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Hello fellow umpires!

Amputation on 2/11 was as good as could be expected, The surgeon whacked off the damaged limb below the knee. I understand that it is just about the perfect distance for fitting a prosthesis. No complications other than a fever for a few days. (Although it does feel mighty strange to need to scratch toes that are no longer there.)

Our local umpires and coaches in the Pensacola area have been wonderfully supportive. The FHSAA softball commissioner told me my new goal is to be the first amputee to call a Florida championship game.

I've also got to thank my brethren in blue from the opposite corner of the country. SRW and bkbjones hooked me up with the Seattle Metro VP who calls games as a double AKA (above the knee amputee). Now there is inspiration. He talked to others at their UIC Clinic and I ended up with a personal e-mail from Wild Bill himself.

I can't wait to get back on the field and earn the right to call games -- big and small, rec ball to NCAA.

Thanks for the prayers and the good thoughts. they were (and still are) welcome.
Just helpin' a brotha blue out. I'd expect no less from anyone else.
Old Fri Feb 20, 2009, 02:25am
Official Forum Member

Im glad to hear that it went well, best of luck
Once when the Yankee's Lou Pinella was batting he questioned a Palermo strike call. Pinella demanded, "Where was that pitch at?" Palermo told him that a man wearing Yankee pinstripes in front of 30,000 people should not end a sentence with a preposition. So Pinella, no dummy, said, "OK, where was that pitch at, a**hole?"
-George Will
Old Fri Feb 20, 2009, 06:38am
Official Forum Member

Great, I'll see what I can do about bringing a parrot with me next time I come back to the US.

As to the itchy toe problem, I understand that'll go away, just like my pink elephant problem.
Old Fri Feb 20, 2009, 08:56am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Background

In 2001, just as I was planning retirement from the Navy, I was diagnosed with a very rare, very vicious, and very persistent SOB of a skin cancer called Merkel cell carcinoma. Its mortality rate is double that of melanoma. I’m lucky to be alive. From 2003-2005 it recurred four more times, all in my right leg. The docs tried surgery, chemotherapy, and radiation (aka slash, poison, and burn).

MCC hasn’t come back since 2005, but the excessive radiation has destroyed my lower leg and also caused another type of cancer called MFH—malignant fibrous histiocytoma. Bottom line—I’m going to have my leg amputated in the next couple of weeks. Hopefully they’ll be able to do a below-the-knee amputation.

The Future

I plan to be back on the field for the 2010 season. If our wounded warriors can run marathons on two prostheses, I sure can learn to umpire on one. Anyone have any experience with any of our brothers in blue who umpire on a prosthesis? I sure would like to learn lessons from them.

By the way, challenges for a$$-kicking contests will only be accepted for one more week.
I know two - an umpire and I know a sheriffs captain that has a prosthetic leg. You wouldnt even know unless they told you, or in the umpires case, in the umpires dressing area.

Best of luck bro. You can do it! Of that, I am sure and have seen.
Old Fri Feb 20, 2009, 09:19am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChampaignBlue View Post
I understand that'll go away, just like my pink elephant problem.

Yours went away????

Old Fri Feb 20, 2009, 09:20am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Hello fellow umpires!

Glad to hear all went well.

Old Sun Feb 22, 2009, 09:20pm
Archaic Power Monger

Larry, I'm just seeing this. It's good to see things have gone well for you. I am praying for a quick recovery for you!
Old Mon Feb 23, 2009, 04:47am
Official Forum Member

Larry,
I'm really glad to hear things went well and that you're progressing from there.