The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Softball

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Thu Nov 20, 2008, 10:01am
Official Forum Member

Local Association Activities

I am looking for answers for any association you might be involved with:

How much activity does your local association have? I hear(ok read) a lot on different forums about our local association, or our local evaluator did or said etc. I was just wanting to get an idea of what all activity went on at the different local levels. I understand this will be a varied answer but would like to get a feel of the various levels of involvement.

I will start at the FED level we have association meetings, usually 3-4 per year. One is to review our answers on the cert test. Everyone completes the test on their own prior to the meeting and then we work through any questions anyone might have on certian questions. Other meetings are to go over issues, talk about new rules etc. It is all at a local restaurant Sunday afternoon, early evening. We have no designated evaluator, there are no real "training" meetings. New members are taken under a wing so to speak and worked with by a senior member attempting to get games scheduled with them at a lower level (Freshman or JV). We do have state rules meetings every year(as I think all states do) and are required to attend a certification clinic every other year if we want to work the tournamant but this is at a state level not local association.

In ASA I am not really in a local association we have state meetings and schools every year and we have requirements to maintain eligibility to work state tournaments so all of my involvement is at the state level.

Why I am so interested is I have been asked to become the softball chair for our FED association starting this spring so I am looking for input on what others do, and what we might be able to implement to make things continually improve.

Thanks in advance!
Old Thu Nov 20, 2008, 12:06pm
Official Forum Member

Here in Seattle, our umpire association is affiliated with both ASA and NFHS. We assign all high school and middle school games within the Seattle King county area, as well as all SP and JO FP with the ASA brand.

Our general/veteran training is combined with our association meetings. We have 4 general membership / training meetings beginning in January and going through March/April. We have an election for new executive board members in September, and an awards banquet in late September.

Our new umpires (1 and 2 year) have to go through 18 hours of classroom training (3 hour intro to the association, 12 hours of rules, 3 hour open book test) and 6 hours of gym clinic (3 hours of FP plate work, 3 hours of base/field work). They then have to be evaluated and pass on-field games (for FP: 2 plate, 2 base. For SP: 2 1-man games). Once they pass their eval games, we send them on their way to work real games.

It works pretty well. Personally, I would like to see the number of training / general meetings increase to about 6 or 7, but that's a pipe dream with this group.
Old Thu Nov 20, 2008, 02:21pm
Official Forum Member

Speaking NFHS here, before the season begins we have 4 meetings to cover all of the new stuff we have to cover and to grade the tests. There are also mandatory State/Regional meetings that have to be attended, and at least two on field clinics offered where everyone has to attend at least one. We also work two weeks (a pretty packed two weeks worth, too) of scrimmages where newer umpires are teamed up with senior umpires to get a feel for or to refresh their feel for the game. Sometimes you will see as many as 4 umpires on the field at one time, as one senior is working with the BU while another is working with the PU. Coaches tend to be real accepting of any disruption of the flow of the game, understanding that these umpires are being trained.

Then, as the season is coming to a close, we will have at least one, if not two meetings to a)re-evaluate the season and address any questions or unusual events that might have occurred, and to b)go over three man mechanics before the play-offs begin. Shortly after all play-offs are over, there will be a board meeting to address the concerns that were brought up in the previous "concerns" meeting.

It's a small world, but I wouldn't want to have to paint it.
Old Thu Nov 20, 2008, 08:00pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaveASA/FED View Post
I am looking for answers for any association you might be involved with:

How much activity does your local association have?
Thanks in advance!
I belong to several softball associations in my area and the activity varies.

Association 1

Meetings begin in early January for new recruits for several weekends of training. General membership meetings begin in February and are staggered through November.

Association 2

A membership meeting is held in February. No actual training is provided.

Association 3

Membership meetings begin in February and continue weekends throughout the month. No actual training is provided.

Association 4

In March one group meeting is scheduled for rec league coaches and umpires. Eventually the umpires and coaches divide into different groups. There are usually two weekends devoted to training.

Association 5

We meet at the regional NCAA clinic and when that presentation is done we break into our various conferences for more information.
Old Fri Nov 21, 2008, 03:26am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by SRW View Post
Here in Seattle, our umpire association is affiliated with both ASA and NFHS. We assign all high school and middle school games within the Seattle King county area, as well as all SP and JO FP with the ASA brand.

Our general/veteran training is combined with our association meetings. We have 4 general membership / training meetings beginning in January and going through March/April. We have an election for new executive board members in September, and an awards banquet in late September.

Our new umpires (1 and 2 year) have to go through 18 hours of classroom training (3 hour intro to the association, 12 hours of rules, 3 hour open book test) and 6 hours of gym clinic (3 hours of FP plate work, 3 hours of base/field work). They then have to be evaluated and pass on-field games (for FP: 2 plate, 2 base. For SP: 2 1-man games). Once they pass their eval games, we send them on their way to work real games.

It works pretty well. Personally, I would like to see the number of training / general meetings increase to about 6 or 7, but that's a pipe dream with this group.
SRW is the head cheese for our training. I am honored to be one of his assistants.

We're pretty proud of our training program. SRW is one of several umpires who have taken the bull by the horns over the past five years. Of the umpires who have gone through training since 2003 we have a D-1 umpire, several working other college ball, all kinds of high school ball including state championships, and all levels of ASA including men's FP, SP and JO FP tournaments.

Our goal has been very simple: to train, coach and mentor all of our umpires to become the best umpire they want to be.

This is SRW's first year as the head of our training program, and I have no doubt he will continue our very successful program.

OK, back to my cave...
Old Fri Nov 21, 2008, 09:10am
Official Forum Member

does washing the assignor(s) truck or cutting his grass to get better assignments count as "activities"?
Old Fri Nov 21, 2008, 09:23am
Official Forum Member

Our local association holds 3 rule and procedure clinics in February and March. To receive full pay for the season, umpires must attend at least 2 clinics and pass the ASA exam. The ASA state clinic counts towards the required clinics, and also makes you eligible to call any State, Regional or National tournaments.

Unfortunately, there's no gym or practice time. It's all demonstrations by veteran umpires under the supervision of our state UIC. However, for those who want to call FP, they do allow the option of calling some scrimmage games under the supervision of the trainers. SP umpires do not have this option.

Sounds like I need to take a trip to Seattle!

I haven't decided if I should call it from the dugout or the outfield. Apparently, both have really great views!

Screw green, it ain't easy being blue!

I won't be coming here that much anymore. I might check in now and again.
Old Fri Nov 21, 2008, 09:23am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by CajunNewBlue View Post
does washing the assignor(s) truck or cutting his grass to get better assignments count as "activities"?
Depends on how well you scrub his undercarriage.

Wait... Uhhh...

I haven't decided if I should call it from the dugout or the outfield. Apparently, both have really great views!

Old Fri Nov 21, 2008, 10:09am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by NCASAUmp View Post
Depends on how well you scrub his undercarriage.

Wait... Uhhh...
That is SO wrong on so many levels!!
Old Fri Nov 21, 2008, 10:10am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaveASA/FED View Post
That is SO wrong on so many levels!!

Old Fri Nov 21, 2008, 12:18pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Unfortunately, there's no gym or practice time. It's all demonstrations by veteran umpires under the supervision of our state UIC. However, for those who want to call FP, they do allow the option of calling some scrimmage games under the supervision of the trainers. SP umpires do not have this option.
We have several arrangements on how we get a gym.

One, we work in the fall with one of the local community colleges and provide them free umpires for their fall invitational scrimmage tournament. We use it for evaluating potential umpires for our college program. Because we don't charge the school for the umps, they in turn donate their gym two nights in the spring for our umpire training program. We then go to several of the JO teams and see if we can "borrow" a pitcher/catcher combo and some jugs machines for our fast-pitch gym night. The girls love being able to show off and work on their skills, and we get our rookies live pitching experience.

Second, we have two umpires who teach at a local high school. They can usually arrange to get their gym or cafeteria for a few nights in the spring. It becomes a little difficult given the winter/early spring sports schedules, but we work around that.

Quote:
Sounds like I need to take a trip to Seattle!
Sure! Come on over!
Old Fri Nov 21, 2008, 12:26pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by bkbjones View Post
SRW is the head cheese for our training. I am honored to be one of his assistants.

We're pretty proud of our training program. SRW is one of several umpires who have taken the bull by the horns over the past five years. Of the umpires who have gone through training since 2003 we have a D-1 umpire, several working other college ball, all kinds of high school ball including state championships, and all levels of ASA including men's FP, SP and JO FP tournaments.

Our goal has been very simple: to train, coach and mentor all of our umpires to become the best umpire they want to be.

This is SRW's first year as the head of our training program, and I have no doubt he will continue our very successful program.

OK, back to my cave...
Of course before you all give SRW too much credit for all the good umpires he's produced, you have to remember he gets the blame for me.
________
Child wellbutrin

Last edited by youngump; Mon Sep 19, 2011 at 06:34pm.
Old Fri Nov 21, 2008, 12:36pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by youngump View Post
Of course before you all give SRW too much credit for all the good umpires he's produced, you have to remember he gets the blame for me.
I only get 1/4 the blame. Tim had you the first year, I shared with him your second year.
Old Fri Nov 21, 2008, 12:53pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by SRW View Post
We have several arrangements on how we get a gym.

One, we work in the fall with one of the local community colleges and provide them free umpires for their fall invitational scrimmage tournament. We use it for evaluating potential umpires for our college program. Because we don't charge the school for the umps, they in turn donate their gym two nights in the spring for our umpire training program. We then go to several of the JO teams and see if we can "borrow" a pitcher/catcher combo and some jugs machines for our fast-pitch gym night. The girls love being able to show off and work on their skills, and we get our rookies live pitching experience.

Second, we have two umpires who teach at a local high school. They can usually arrange to get their gym or cafeteria for a few nights in the spring. It becomes a little difficult given the winter/early spring sports schedules, but we work around that.

Sure! Come on over!
One of the umpires in our association works at a local HS. He always gets us the use of the athletics department "utility" building. It has a regulation size arena football field in it. They have the layout, mat style bases for baseball softball practice. We set up a diamond and usually have live pitching as well.

It's a small world, but I wouldn't want to have to paint it.