View Single Post
Old Thu Nov 20, 2008, 10:01am
Official Forum Member

Local Association Activities

I am looking for answers for any association you might be involved with:

How much activity does your local association have? I hear(ok read) a lot on different forums about our local association, or our local evaluator did or said etc. I was just wanting to get an idea of what all activity went on at the different local levels. I understand this will be a varied answer but would like to get a feel of the various levels of involvement.

I will start at the FED level we have association meetings, usually 3-4 per year. One is to review our answers on the cert test. Everyone completes the test on their own prior to the meeting and then we work through any questions anyone might have on certian questions. Other meetings are to go over issues, talk about new rules etc. It is all at a local restaurant Sunday afternoon, early evening. We have no designated evaluator, there are no real "training" meetings. New members are taken under a wing so to speak and worked with by a senior member attempting to get games scheduled with them at a lower level (Freshman or JV). We do have state rules meetings every year(as I think all states do) and are required to attend a certification clinic every other year if we want to work the tournamant but this is at a state level not local association.

In ASA I am not really in a local association we have state meetings and schools every year and we have requirements to maintain eligibility to work state tournaments so all of my involvement is at the state level.

Why I am so interested is I have been asked to become the softball chair for our FED association starting this spring so I am looking for input on what others do, and what we might be able to implement to make things continually improve.

Thanks in advance!