The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Softball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Mon Nov 17, 2008, 11:05am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by NCASAUmp View Post
And no, there's no difference between starting with a 1-1 count and having a maximum 3-2 count.
There was one hell of a difference in the terminology to get it passed!!

Efforts in previous years had people voting against it because it changed the fundamental definitions of the game, that you can't walk on 3 balls or strike out with 2 strikes. It was even offered to the rule author as a friendly amendment that it could pass if he would just change the terminology, which he chose to not accept. So, it was voted down every prior year.

This method (you start with one ball and one strike count) eliminates that concern; 4 balls is a walk, 3 strikes is an out, just like hot dogs and apple pie. Never mind how many pitches were thrown to get to that count, all's right with the count!!
Old Mon Nov 17, 2008, 11:36am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by AtlUmpSteve View Post
There was one hell of a difference in the terminology to get it passed!!

Efforts in previous years had people voting against it because it changed the fundamental definitions of the game, that you can't walk on 3 balls or strike out with 2 strikes. It was even offered to the rule author as a friendly amendment that it could pass if he would just change the terminology, which he chose to not accept. So, it was voted down every prior year.

This method (you start with one ball and one strike count) eliminates that concern; 4 balls is a walk, 3 strikes is an out, just like hot dogs and apple pie. Never mind how many pitches were thrown to get to that count, all's right with the count!!
What Steve said and you will not have to buy an indicator just for SP
Old Mon Nov 17, 2008, 03:07pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by AtlUmpSteve View Post
I think I would wait for the official interp before assuming that. In the Playing Rules Committee, the chairperson opined that if both passed at the same time, the more overriding rule would apply, not the more limiting rule.

I don't believe the intent of the body was to allow CR for pitcher and catcher for all, and then immediately limit that. Both were approved by Consent Agenda at the Council without discussion, as each were considered a good change.

It will interesting to see how the NUS decides to address the discrepancy.
Received by email the Official Rule Changes, about to be posted.

They eliminated completely the "catcher only" version, and have published:

Rule 8 Section 10: (All Fast Pitch)
Comment: All Fast Pitch will follow the Courtesy runner rule previously used only by the Junior Olympic Classification of Girls and Boys.
Old Mon Nov 17, 2008, 03:36pm
Official Forum Member

Here ya go everyone:

http://downloads.asasoftball.com/ump...RulesFinal.pdf
Old Mon Nov 17, 2008, 08:13pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by SRW View Post
Thanks SRW.

It's a small world, but I wouldn't want to have to paint it.
Old Thu Nov 20, 2008, 05:54am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by IRISHMAFIA View Post
ISF report revealed that when a completed survey of all sports (softball finished in something like the top 40% of all sports in any category), it is believed that the IOC members never read this report since the results were too good to ignore.
Mike,

sorry but I don't get the point of this part of your post. Might be because I am not a native speaker! Can you explain what's about the report and the use or non-use of it?

THX

Raoul
Old Thu Nov 20, 2008, 09:53am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mach3 View Post
Mike,

sorry but I don't get the point of this part of your post. Might be because I am not a native speaker! Can you explain what's about the report and the use or non-use of it?

THX

Raoul
To the best of my knowledge, a survey was taken of those involved in the Olympics (all facets: participants, vendores, sponsors, etc.) which reflected softball being in the top 40% of all summer Olympic sports which means it is popular, a good fan draw and a money maker.

The ISF & ASA believe that if the IOC members actually read this report (assuming it was made available to them by the Chair), there would not have been a question and softball would have easily retained it's position in the games.

This is my perception of second hand information provided at the commissioner's meeting of the ASA. As I said, they are cautiously optimistic for 2016.