The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Softball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Mon Oct 27, 2008, 08:37am
Official Forum Member

More rules I have learned from coaches.

Picked up some more rules addendums this weekend while working a "B" tournament.

Did you know that if the runner continues from one base to the next, without ever stopping or even hesitating, and the pitcher merely holds the ball while standing the circle, never making or faking a play, then you have to call the runner out? "Its in the book."

Also, when the BR is running in fair territory, and the ball takes a large bounce (about 12 ft in the air) and then hits her on the helmet, you cannot call the runner out because she "couldn't see the ball to avoid it."

Just doing my best to help prevent any of you from making these obvious mistakes.

It's a small world, but I wouldn't want to have to paint it.
Old Mon Oct 27, 2008, 09:40am
Official Forum Member

Hey, Skahtboi, thanks for the heads up! I would have missed both those calls, but I'll get them right the next time.

Allow me to return the favor. Here's one a coach taught me last year.

If a pitcher doesn't start her pitch preliminaries with the hands seaprated, it is an illegal pitch (that one sounds kind of familiar). Now, if she starts her motion to pitch, but stops it mid-delivery (recacting to, oh, I don't know, maybe the umpire yelling, "Illegal Pitch!") then she has committed a SECOND illegal pitch!

Award any base runners TWO bases as a penalty for the TWO illegal pitches! (He didn't tell me if you also award two balls to the batter, but it sounds logical.)
Old Mon Oct 27, 2008, 10:12am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by BretMan View Post
(He didn't tell me if you also award two balls to the batter, but it sounds logical.)
But of course you would!

Old Mon Oct 27, 2008, 11:28am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
(He didn't tell me if you also award two balls to the batter, but it sounds logical.)

Well, if you got two balls on the batter, ............
Old Mon Oct 27, 2008, 11:34am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by IRISHMAFIA View Post
Well, if you got two balls on the batter, ............
Then you're not working the slot correctly?

I haven't decided if I should call it from the dugout or the outfield. Apparently, both have really great views!

Screw green, it ain't easy being blue!

I won't be coming here that much anymore. I might check in now and again.
Old Mon Oct 27, 2008, 11:39am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Hey, Skahtboi, thanks for the heads up! I would have missed both those calls, but I'll get them right the next time.

Allow me to return the favor. Here's one a coach taught me last year.

If a pitcher doesn't start her pitch preliminaries with the hands seaprated, it is an illegal pitch (that one sounds kind of familiar). Now, if she starts her motion to pitch, but stops it mid-delivery (recacting to, oh, I don't know, maybe the umpire yelling, "Illegal Pitch!") then she has committed a SECOND illegal pitch!

Award any base runners TWO bases as a penalty for the TWO illegal pitches! (He didn't tell me if you also award two balls to the batter, but it sounds logical.)
I was working a tournament in Kitchener Ont in 06, girls 16 & under, a team from Ohio, I think their team name was Ohio Blast or something along those lines, the other team was a local team from Markam Ont. After 2 warnings I had called an Illeagal pitch against the Ohio pitcher.
Between innings the Ohio coach came out to where I was standing. I was standing on the first base line and the first base ump had was just about to make a comment when the coach arrived so he let the coach procede.
The weekend before this tournament they were in one in Quebec, they were playing a team from Hull Quebec when the same call had been made. The Hull coach had came out to argue that indeed there was 2 infractions and wanted 2 awards on the same infraction. What the other infraction was was never mentioned but apparently this other coach was quite upset he couldn't get the 2nd award. The coach from Ohio said it was quite commical.
Old Mon Oct 27, 2008, 11:42am
Official Forum Member

So, give him the 2nd.....award him the parking lot!
Old Mon Oct 27, 2008, 12:50pm
Archaic Power Monger

Quote:
Originally Posted by NCASAUmp View Post
Then you're not working the slot correctly?
Man I dang near sprayed coffee on my screen. I've got to quit reading this stuff at work.

Did you know that if a runner going from 2nd to 3rd is hit in the back with a thrown ball, they are out for interference?
Old Mon Oct 27, 2008, 01:10pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Welpe View Post
Did you know that if a runner going from 2nd to 3rd is hit in the back with a thrown ball, they are out for interference?
Yeah. I have already had that coach before!!!

Old Mon Oct 27, 2008, 01:19pm
Official Forum Member

...and if the B/R is awarded first on balls and rounds first and then immediately returns to first she has and I quote, "Stopped twice and is in violation of the LBR and MUST be called out. Come on Blue, you know that one, don't just give them the game."
Old Mon Oct 27, 2008, 03:43pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Man I dang near sprayed coffee on my screen. I've got to quit reading this stuff at work.
Yeah, that one was a doozy, wasn't it?

I haven't decided if I should call it from the dugout or the outfield. Apparently, both have really great views!

Old Mon Oct 27, 2008, 03:48pm
Archaic Power Monger

Hehe...it was the visual that did it for me.
Old Mon Oct 27, 2008, 03:52pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Hehe...it was the visual that did it for me.
I think the smiley at the end of Mike's post made it 10 times funnier. How's THAT for a visual?

Dear god, I'll stop now.

Old Mon Oct 27, 2008, 04:05pm
Official Forum Member

Talking

18U rec league: Coach comes out and wanted me to call the BR out for running out of the base line.

I said “coach, she hit a single to left field, what are you talking about?”

Coach says “she ran way out of the base line running to 1B”.

I said "coach, if there is no attempted tag, she can run into right field if she wants.”

He says,” oh yah, then why do they have a second white line going down the 1B line?”
Old Mon Oct 27, 2008, 07:27pm
Official Forum Member

How's this one....Tournament game, doing the bat check, coach comes to me because he wants to let me know..." hey blue we have an ALTERED bat but it's not ILLEGAL."