The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Softball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Wed May 15, 2002, 02:00pm
Official Forum Member

I got the chance of a lifetime the other night. I was working an interlock game between two leagues (interlock games do not count in the standings for the separate leagues). These games are mainly for experience and most teams throw their 3rd or 4th pitchers. My partner got sick and didn't make it to the game. The coaches decided one of the parents could work the bases. They picked one of the dads that likes to rag the umpires constantly. Before the game started, I tried to explain the different positions on the field, he stated that "he knew how to umpire and don't worry about him". His child's team was batting and the first batter drew a walk. On the first pitch to the next batter, R1 attempted to steal second and the catcher made a great throw. My dad "ump" had good position on the play and called the runner out on a bang bang play. He caught royal hell from his own fellow parents. He sheeplishly headed back to "A" position and we continued the game. In between innings, I told my dad "ump" that he made a good call at second. The next time his child's team came to bat, the leadoff runner hit a single. On the first pitch to the next batter, R1 attempted to steal second, another good throw by the catcher and the runner was out by a couple of feet. But my dad "ump" cocked his arm to make the out call, then stood up and pointed to me for a call. The poor guy was very tentative the rest of the game. After the game, he commented that umpiring was a lot harder than he expected. I think he has a greater respect for umpires now.
Old Wed May 15, 2002, 03:06pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to tulsablue
We need to develop a program where all parents need to go through some type of training on how to be an umpire it could wake them up a great deal.
Old Wed May 15, 2002, 04:25pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
We need to develop a program where all parents need to go through some type of training on how to be an umpire it could wake them up a great deal.
On the other hand....it could give them just enough knowledge to be dangerous!
Old Wed May 15, 2002, 05:09pm
Official Forum Member

Hee Hee Hee.......

I played baseball through my teenage years and when the opportunity to umpire came up after my first year in college.........I thought it would be a good way to earn some extra cash in the evenings after my day job in the summer.......(this was 1978.........I think we were payed around $6-$7 bucks per game.......for big diamond ball)

I learned after my first couple of games that BOY, this was a lot harder than it looked........

I continued to umpire through college and got half way decent at it.......but nowhere near "good"......

As luck (and yes.....I now consider it GOOD LUCK.....grin) would have it..........I wound up with 3 daughters and started coaching FP SB the first year my oldest was eligible.......

I started umpiring a few years after that.........and decided that I would NOT be a So-So umpire.......

I went to all the schools offered......went to all the classroom and field clinics........

I made plenty of boo-boos my first year........and every year after that for that matter (fewer and fewer)...........grin

I hope this dad gained a new respect for umpires.........I know I did when I first started doing baseball..........and again when I started calling FP........

Joel
Old Fri May 17, 2002, 02:08am
Official Forum Member

"We need to develop a program where all parents need to go through some type of training on how to be an umpire it could wake them up a great deal."

It'll never happen. They already know more than the trained umps. What should be mandatory, is that all coaches must take a rules test, and pass with at least 80%, or they can't coach.

I never allowed a parent out of the stands to work with me. I found that they cause more trouble, than help. No knowledge of rules, mechanics, etc.

Bob

[Edited by bluezebra on May 17th, 2002 at 02:12 AM]
Old Fri May 17, 2002, 07:35am
Administrator

Quote:
Originally posted by alabamabluezebra
I got the chance of a lifetime the other night. I was working an interlock game between two leagues (interlock games do not count in the standings for the separate leagues). These games are mainly for experience and most teams throw their 3rd or 4th pitchers. My partner got sick and didn't make it to the game. The coaches decided one of the parents could work the bases. They picked one of the dads that likes to rag the umpires constantly. Before the game started, I tried to explain the different positions on the field, he stated that "he knew how to umpire and don't worry about him". His child's team was batting and the first batter drew a walk. On the first pitch to the next batter, R1 attempted to steal second and the catcher made a great throw. My dad "ump" had good position on the play and called the runner out on a bang bang play. He caught royal hell from his own fellow parents. He sheeplishly headed back to "A" position and we continued the game. In between innings, I told my dad "ump" that he made a good call at second. The next time his child's team came to bat, the leadoff runner hit a single. On the first pitch to the next batter, R1 attempted to steal second, another good throw by the catcher and the runner was out by a couple of feet. But my dad "ump" cocked his arm to make the out call, then stood up and pointed to me for a call. The poor guy was very tentative the rest of the game. After the game, he commented that umpiring was a lot harder than he expected. I think he has a greater respect for umpires now.

I do not want to throw a wet blanket on all the warm and fuzzy feelings that come out in your postings, but I am going to assume that this was a game between two high schools which means this was a game sanctioned by the AlabamaHSAA, meaning that you are AlabamaHSAA registered softball umpire. If that is the case, why would you allow an unqualified person to step on the field with you. The legal/liability implications if something goes wrong are infinite, and I can assure you that the financial penalties that you and your family will face will be next to insurmountable.
Ohio Assn. of Basketball Officials
International Assn. of Approved Bkb. Officials
Ohio High School Athletic Association
Toledo, Ohio
Old Fri May 17, 2002, 11:00am
Official Forum Member

Not AHSAA but Dixie Softball!

Sorry Mark,
I only umpire Dixie Softball in Alabama. A contest between two high school teams cannot be officiated by unregistered officials. The AHSAA suspenses and fines schools and/or officiating associations that use unregistered officials every year. In Dixie Softball, the leagues provide their own umpires. I believe Dixie is making a push to require all umpires to be registered and tested. In many of the lower age groups, the leagues use parent volunteers to umpire the games.
Old Fri May 17, 2002, 09:09pm
Official Forum Member

Re: Not AHSAA but Dixie Softball!

Quote:
Originally posted by alabamabluezebra
In many of the lower age groups, the leagues use parent volunteers to umpire the games.
Not around these parts, and it shouldn't be happening anywhere. DSI was sued a few years back where a kid got hurt where non-sanctioned umpires were being used. All DSI umpires are required to be sanctioned through DSI, or else the body that is promoting itself with the DSI name is running a major risk and carrying great legal liability everytime they allow a contest to go on without certified DSI umpires overseeing it.

Scott