Thread: Replacement Ump
View Single Post
Old Wed May 15, 2002, 02:00pm
Official Forum Member

I got the chance of a lifetime the other night. I was working an interlock game between two leagues (interlock games do not count in the standings for the separate leagues). These games are mainly for experience and most teams throw their 3rd or 4th pitchers. My partner got sick and didn't make it to the game. The coaches decided one of the parents could work the bases. They picked one of the dads that likes to rag the umpires constantly. Before the game started, I tried to explain the different positions on the field, he stated that "he knew how to umpire and don't worry about him". His child's team was batting and the first batter drew a walk. On the first pitch to the next batter, R1 attempted to steal second and the catcher made a great throw. My dad "ump" had good position on the play and called the runner out on a bang bang play. He caught royal hell from his own fellow parents. He sheeplishly headed back to "A" position and we continued the game. In between innings, I told my dad "ump" that he made a good call at second. The next time his child's team came to bat, the leadoff runner hit a single. On the first pitch to the next batter, R1 attempted to steal second, another good throw by the catcher and the runner was out by a couple of feet. But my dad "ump" cocked his arm to make the out call, then stood up and pointed to me for a call. The poor guy was very tentative the rest of the game. After the game, he commented that umpiring was a lot harder than he expected. I think he has a greater respect for umpires now.