The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Softball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Tue May 14, 2002, 12:04am
Official Forum Member

Thumbs up

I am excited and nervous at the same time!I have been fortunate enough to do Fed playoffs the last couple years but this year for the first time I am crew chief behind the plate in three man.I don't know if I'm ready but my assignor does and I feel very lucky.If some of you great vets who have helped in the past have any tips to help me get ready I would appreciate it.Thanks in advance.
Old Tue May 14, 2002, 05:48am
Official Forum Member

Talking

No different than any other game!!!!!!! You are there for a reason. It is true you may have butterflies at the start, this is normal. just be yourself. When I do these games, I feel that I am in a zone, and work some of my best games.

Bob
NIF
Old Tue May 14, 2002, 08:24am
Official Forum Member

Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally posted by refjef40
I am excited and nervous at the same time!I have been fortunate enough to do Fed playoffs the last couple years but this year for the first time I am crew chief behind the plate in three man.I don't know if I'm ready but my assignor does and I feel very lucky.If some of you great vets who have helped in the past have any tips to help me get ready I would appreciate it.Thanks in advance.
Best of Luck,

You were choosen for your abilities, so go out utilize them
and have fun. After the first strike, you will be ready. I
always like for that first pitch to be a strike, seems to
really get things rolling....course, that ain't always in
the script.

Again, Good Luck.

glen
Sail away from the safe harbor. Catch the trade winds in your sails.
Explore. Dream. Discover."
--Mark Twain.
Old Tue May 14, 2002, 06:05pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by Del-Blue
No different than any other game!!!!!!! You are there for a reason. It is true you may have butterflies at the start, this is normal. just be yourself. When I do these games, I feel that I am in a zone, and work some of my best games.

Bob...I couldn't agree with you more. I feel that championship games of this nature have been some of the best games that I have ever had.

Just called a district quarterfinal game last week as the UIC, and came away from that game feeling as though it was the best of the season. A one run affair and both coaches were completely happy, not a questioned call the whole game. Of course, I had one hell of a crew out there in the field making it look easy. The guy calling third was a newbie, first game of this level he had ever called. You wouldn't have known it though. He came over at one point in the game with a grin as big as Dallas, looked at me at the other BU and said, "hell...I feel like I am in the majors or something."

But I digress! refjef40, just do as Bob and Glen advise, and you should have no problems.

Scott
Old Tue May 14, 2002, 09:55pm
Official Forum Member

Smile

State tournament games are the best. I have been fortunate enough to do 2 state high school championship plates. I feel that the intensity and emotion involved brings out the best in an official. That's why I do this. You will get into a zone and you will relax and have a great time. Good Luck!
Old Thu May 16, 2002, 05:47pm
Official Forum Member

Smile

Just wanted to let you all know my playoff game was a great
game 1 to 0 with lots of strikes and strikeouts!I had no problems with the coaches and felt I did fine.Thanks to Bob,Glen,Scott and Rachel your advice helped a lot!
Old Thu May 16, 2002, 10:18pm
Official Forum Member

Way to go and congratulations. Now...treat yourself to a cold adult beverage!

Scott