The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Softball

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Sat May 04, 2002, 07:00pm
Official Forum Member

The other day the subject was dropped third strikes and I just had a situation.J.V. Fed. ball runner on first one out the runner is off on the pitch and like a idiot I forget to loudly annouce that the batter is out on the dropped third strike.So of course the batter takes off and the catcher throws the ball into right field.The runner ends up on third and the batter on second.The batter on second out apologys to both coaches the runner stays at third.Is there anything else to do besides the loud out annoucement?
Old Sat May 04, 2002, 10:20pm
Official Forum Member

I'm not sure that even a loud "Batter is out" is appropriate. Just loud enough that the catcher can hear - and that is a courtesy we give the catchers. If the catcher chooses to do a dumb thing & throw the ball into the outfield, that's her choice and her team's consequences. Maybe so for JV's & younger, definitely true for older players - these are ball players and we need to treat them as such. They know the game and the situation, or should.

Steve M
Old Sun May 05, 2002, 12:00pm
Official Forum Member

I always hollered, "BATTER'S OUT! BATTER'S OUT!". If that didn't get the catcher's attention, there's a HUGE problem in staying focused. I will never understand why coaches don't hammer this into their catchers. And why they don't inform the catchers of the situation as soon as there are two strikes on the batter.

Bob
Old Sun May 05, 2002, 06:23pm
Official Forum Member

To Steve,thanks for the input but one more comment if you will.Doesn't the loud annoucement like Bluezebra said make us look better instead of having to stop the game and put the runner into the dugout with the out?Just asking and maybe someone else out there has a opinion.
Old Sun May 05, 2002, 07:29pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by refjef40
To Steve,thanks for the input but one more comment if you will.Doesn't the loud annoucement like Bluezebra said make us look better instead of having to stop the game and put the runner into the dugout with the out?Just asking and maybe someone else out there has a opinion.
I think that pretty much depends on the level of play. Maybe that's OK for JV & younger, but not for varsity or older. Remember, they are ball players and we need to treat them as if they know what the game situation is. I don't have any problem pointing to the retired B-R on 1B and saying "Out". That lets the folks know - or it should - that regardless of what the players do, you do know what's going on.

Steve M

Old Sat May 18, 2002, 01:02pm
Official Forum Member

Hope I'm not to late on this subject but announcing a loud batter is out is also for the batters benefit.

I use to play fastpitch and once had an umpire meekly call a 3rd strike and didn't hear him. The pitch was low and outside and since the catcher missed it I thought it was a ball. I didn't hear the ump say strike so I just stood in the batters box thinking it was ball 3. The catcher who did hear the strike call, gets the ball and throws it to first. I'm out.
Old Mon May 20, 2002, 01:00am
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to Elaine Send a message via Yahoo to Elaine
Cool

I also yell "batter's out" loudly and give the signal. If a base runner is off with the pitch and it's not 3rd out, it is a steal.
Georgia High School NFHS (retired)
Mom of former Travel Player
National Indicator Fraternity 1995