The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Softball

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Thu Oct 23, 2008, 12:49pm
Official Forum Member

Loose Equipment on the field

From another board?

Quote:
What is the rule if during a live play the pitcher drops her mask to the ground?

If the mask is on the ground and is hit by a thrown ball is there a rule covering that? Is there a difference if the mask is in the cirle of in fair or foul play?
Blocked ball? Does ASA 8.5.C apply?
Old Thu Oct 23, 2008, 01:50pm
Official Forum Member

Loose equipment on the field belonging to the defense is covered by 8.5.C (a pitched ball), 8.5.F (using the equipment to catch or intentionally contact the ball), and 8.5.G (a blocked live ball not judged intentionally contacted).

The definition of a blocked ball doesn't differentiate by the location of the equipment; the ruling depends on the type of ball (pitched, thrown, or batted), and the type of contact (intentional or unintentional). The pitcher's mask is no different than the catcher's mask or an outfielder's cap; they are responsible for their equipment if they use it or discard it.
Old Thu Oct 23, 2008, 03:34pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by AtlUmpSteve View Post
Loose equipment on the field belonging to the defense is covered by 8.5.C (a pitched ball), 8.5.F (using the equipment to catch or intentionally contact the ball), and 8.5.G (a blocked live ball not judged intentionally contacted).

The definition of a blocked ball doesn't differentiate by the location of the equipment; the ruling depends on the type of ball (pitched, thrown, or batted), and the type of contact (intentional or unintentional). The pitcher's mask is no different than the catcher's mask or an outfielder's cap; they are responsible for their equipment if they use it or discard it.
ASA definition of Blocked Ball includes loose eqiupment of any object that is not part of the official eqiupment or official playing area. Since Rule 3.5.D offers permission for any defensive player to wear a face mask/guard, I would have to say this is "official" equipment and becomes part of the field when discarded or becomes detached from the player wearing the equipment. The only time it would be a matter of INT would be if thrown or kicked at and contacts a live ball.
Old Thu Oct 23, 2008, 03:54pm
Official Forum Member

Mike, I have to differ with you, based on the exact wording, which says:
Quote:
Originally Posted by ASA Rulebook
A batted, pitched or thrown ball that is touched, stopped or handled by a person not engaged in the game, or which touches loose equipment OR any object that is not part of the official equipment or official playing area.
By my reading, the ball touching loose equipment, whether official or not, creates a blocked ball. As does touching any object that isn't official equipment (say, a powerade bottle left on the field), or not part of the official playing area (a tree branch overhanging the field). Interference would only apply if it is loose offensive equipment; loose defensive equipment could cause obstruction if a runner tripped over it.

But the ball hitting legal defensive equipment that the defense allowed loose is a blocked ball by the exact wording of the definition. Same, in my mind, as the bats the on-deck batter may legally swing, and are legal equipment; if ODB sets the bat down and the ball hits it, we have a blocked ball.
Old Thu Oct 23, 2008, 04:08pm
Official Forum Member

I believe there is a difference between equpment that is not part of the official equipment (such as, in your example, the ODB's bat) and equipment that IS part of the official equipment (such as a catcher's helmet or a batter's bat).

A batter's bat is loose equpment, but if the ball contacts the bat on the ground, that is not a blocked ball.
Old Thu Oct 23, 2008, 04:18pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
...By my reading,...
We all know that the ASA rule book (ahem) "editors" are somewhat syntax, grammar, and punctuation challenged.

The definition of a blocked ball as corrected by my 5th grade teacher:
Quote:
BLOCKED BALL: A batted, pitched or thrown ball that is touched, stopped, or handled by a person not engaged in the game, or which touches loose equipment, or any object, that is not part of the official equipment or official playing area.
Old Thu Oct 23, 2008, 10:17pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:

But the ball hitting legal defensive equipment that the defense allowed loose is a blocked ball by the exact wording of the definition. Same, in my mind, as the bats the on-deck batter may legally swing, and are legal equipment; if ODB sets the bat down and the ball hits it, we have a blocked ball.
Well, that would mean if a live ball hit a discarded catcher's mask or batter's helmet, you would consider that a blocked ball. Well, since the case book and clinic guide both state that discarded equipment is part of the field, I'll stick with my original view.