The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Softball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Thu Sep 25, 2008, 08:23pm
Official Forum Member

Kind of a funny steal situation

I'm BU at 18G last weekend. There is a steal and I'm in great position for the play. The throw beats the girl by a lot (apparently the runner slowed up).. the glove w/ ball was down waiting for the girl.. and the girl slides directly into the glove.. but wait.

My mind thinks "the tag missed her! wtf?!?! how the heck did she do that?". The glove kind of appeared to miss her by less than an inch.. but did it?!?!

I'm on a 90 behind 2b, the play, F6 is tagging in front of the runner.... my mind is kind of fizzling because despite the obviousness of the can of corn tag play.. my brain thinks it might have saw a safe.. so obviously, I do what any good umpire would do, I sell it out. I mean, it has to be an out right? she slid right into the glove.. it coudnt have missed.

I think all is well.

The girl gets up and starts saying "she totally missed me" and gesturing at her coach. She goes to the dug out. Now I'm thinking.. oh crap, she really did miss her! Some miracle safe. No one else says a word except good throw, etc to the catcher.

We go on with life and Soon the inning ends, I'm near their dugout at 1B.. and here comes the coach from the 3B box yelling into his dugout.

He starts mocking her about how she runs slowly, gets thrown out by 10 feet, slides right into a tag, and dares to suggest she was safe. He goes on and on verbally beating her in a nice coach way for a few minutes.

It was kind of funny.. but I think I blew that one... I dont know how I would have explained in any decent manner a safe call.. but I think she may have been telling the truth. Only me and her know, thats for sure... cuz no one else saw that.
Old Thu Sep 25, 2008, 08:35pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by wadeintothem View Post

It was kind of funny.. but I think I blew that one... I dont know how I would have explained in any decent manner a safe call.
Hey, real simple. "Coach, she missed the tag".
Old Thu Sep 25, 2008, 10:08pm
Official Forum Member

I've had plays where the runner slides, reaches over the glove and touches the base before making contact with the glove during the slide. Everyone is watching the ball beat the runner to the base, the fielder lay the glove in front of the bag and don't understand my safe call.

Chat with DC goes something like this:

DC: Safe? How can she be safe? You had to see her slide into the tag!

Me: Yes the runner is safe. She's safe because the runner reached over your fielder’s glove that was in front of the bag and tagged the base. You're right coach, I did see the runner slide into the tag. Right after the runner reached over the glove and grabbed the base, she slid into the glove.
Old Thu Sep 25, 2008, 10:25pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by MichaelVA2000 View Post
I've had plays where the runner slides, reaches over the glove and touches the base before making contact with the glove during the slide. Everyone is watching the ball beat the runner to the base, the fielder lay the glove in front of the bag and don't understand my safe call.

Chat with DC goes something like this:

DC: Safe? How can she be safe? You had to see her slide into the tag!

Me: Yes the runner is safe. She's safe because the runner reached over your fielder’s glove that was in front of the bag and tagged the base. You're right coach, I did see the runner slide into the tag. Right after the runner reached over the glove and grabbed the base, she slid into the glove.
Sounds like a Wall Street moment. You sell, sell, sell and hope they buy, buy, buy!

I haven't decided if I should call it from the dugout or the outfield. Apparently, both have really great views!

Screw green, it ain't easy being blue!

I won't be coming here that much anymore. I might check in now and again.
Old Thu Sep 25, 2008, 10:50pm
In Memoriam

Quote:
.... I do what any good umpire would do, I sell it out. I mean, it has to be an out right? she slid right into the glove.. it coudnt have missed.
Whether the runner was tagged, or not, the vicinity out call lives on and is accepted by many as a fact of second base.
With the glove waiting for so long, the big sell isn't even necessary, cuz it "should not have been close".
Old Thu Sep 25, 2008, 11:14pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mick View Post
Whether the runner was tagged, or not, the vicinity out call lives on and is accepted by many as a fact of second base.
With the glove waiting for so long, the big sell isn't even necessary, cuz it "should not have been close".
You been hanging out them baseball boys upstairs again mick?

A play like this you would lose credibility on both sides because both sides saw the out.

But the official forum softball umpire stands firm.. and calls the safe and stalls the game and argues with coaches and stutters and puts around and gets called stupid by both sides of the stands... One side patting the other side on the back "hey he screwed ya outta that one, sorry".

Lucky for me I'm not smart or quick like these guys or I woulda been in a lotta trouble instead of that runner...
Old Fri Sep 26, 2008, 04:43am
Official Forum Member

Send a message via Skype™ to ukumpire
How True

Quote:
Originally Posted by MichaelVA2000 View Post
Everyone is watching the ball beat the runner to the base
So Typical - Cannot tell you how many times I have Called Safe on various missed tags, and had an earful from coaches.
Old Fri Sep 26, 2008, 07:07am
In Memoriam

Quote:
You been hanging out them baseball boys upstairs again mick?

A play like this you would lose credibility on both sides because both sides saw the out.

But the official forum softball umpire stands firm.. and calls the safe and stalls the game and argues with coaches and stutters and puts around and gets called stupid by both sides of the stands... One side patting the other side on the back "hey he screwed ya outta that one, sorry".

Lucky for me I'm not smart or quick like these guys or I woulda been in a lotta trouble instead of that runner...
Yes, indeed! That's a funny happenstance of the same rule in different games.
Maybe it's because baseball games are so long.
Old Fri Sep 26, 2008, 07:25am
Official Forum Member

Quote:

Not necessarily. How many times have you heard, "doesn't she have to make the tag?"

There was a good one in the Phillies-Braves game Monday. Play at the plate, ball beat the runner by three strides. Runner when down low and the catcher did not get the tag down quick enough and when he did, the runner was already on the plate. Ball beat the runner, so I'm sure there were a bundle of people out there saying, "boy, he blew that one. The ball beat him by a mile." That is until the replay shows the late tag, the umpire pointing at the plate making some goofy-assed motion and coming up with the a big "SAFE".

Yeah, Bobby Cox came out and probably said, "How can he be safe, the ball beat him by a mile?"

I will hold the umpire who makes a tough call correct and accuratly, no matter how unpopular it is, in higher esteem than I will the "go along to get along" umpire.

If all the calls were obvious, they wouldn't need umpires. The reason we are on the field is to make the decisions on the tough plays where the outcome isn't so obvious that the drunk in the centerfield bleachers could make it.
Old Fri Sep 26, 2008, 07:47am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mick View Post
Yes, indeed! That's a funny happenstance of the same rule in different games.
Maybe it's because baseball games are so long.
Yeah that could be it. You cant let an out sneak away during a 3.5 hour game...
Old Fri Sep 26, 2008, 07:50am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by IRISHMAFIA View Post
Not necessarily. How many times have you heard, "doesn't she have to make the tag?"

There was a good one in the Phillies-Braves game Monday. Play at the plate, ball beat the runner by three strides. Runner when down low and the catcher did not get the tag down quick enough and when he did, the runner was already on the plate. Ball beat the runner, so I'm sure there were a bundle of people out there saying, "boy, he blew that one. The ball beat him by a mile." That is until the replay shows the late tag, the umpire pointing at the plate making some goofy-assed motion and coming up with the a big "SAFE".

Yeah, Bobby Cox came out and probably said, "How can he be safe, the ball beat him by a mile?"

I will hold the umpire who makes a tough call correct and accuratly, no matter how unpopular it is, in higher esteem than I will the "go along to get along" umpire.

If all the calls were obvious, they wouldn't need umpires. The reason we are on the field is to make the decisions on the tough plays where the outcome isn't so obvious that the drunk in the centerfield bleachers could make it.
I agree, you gotta make the tough call.. I'll be ready next time..

Sung to the tune of "if a tree falls in the forest.."

If you make the tough call and no one else on earth knows it was the tough call.. did you really make the tough call or just blow one?
Old Fri Sep 26, 2008, 07:59am
In Memoriam

Quote:
Yeah that could be it. You cant let an out sneak away during a 3.5 hour game...
...Or maybe it's a safety issue, in baseball, to prevent the middle infielder from getting a hand ripped up. The same play occurs on a force out where the fielder doesn't have the bag and the ball at the same time.
Old Fri Sep 26, 2008, 11:32am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
I agree, you gotta make the tough call.. I'll be ready next time..

Sung to the tune of "if a tree falls in the forest.."

If you make the tough call and no one else on earth knows it was the tough call.. did you really make the tough call or just blow one?
Hang on! I'm not disagreeing with your call. How often have you heard, "if you have to think about it, it isn't"?

I'm just talking to your concern about the reactions if you made a call of which that only you and the participants are aware of the fact. A lot of times when such a play happens, everyone argues, but the player involved. There's a case where silence is a telltale sign.

If you see something unexpected and are sure of it, a good step toward the play with a point to the general area with a strong "NO....NO TAG! SAFE!" with signal works great.
Old Fri Sep 26, 2008, 02:33pm
Official Forum Member

I had this same sit at my National Championships about 4 years ago. 18 & u girls. I was the 3rd base ump in 3 man crew with R1 on 1st so I was over in the 2nd base position. Host team just happens to be the team on defense, also occupying 3rd dugout. So 90 % of spectators are cheering for you know who.
R1 takes off to steel 2nd but F2 has a wicked arm and throws to F6 who is covering 2nd. She has received the ball about 6" above the groundabout a step towards 1st right on the base path. Ball arrived just as R1 was just starting to go into her slide so you can imagine how much time there was.
Problem was as F6 held her glove expexting R1 to slide into it, R1 slid towards outfeild side of bag so as she went by the glove I was in perfect place to see that there was about 2" between glove and R1. I'm still waiting for tag. I come up selling SAFE. In fact I over sold it, pulled a little muscle in shoulder but that's a different story. Out comes both DCs but my base partner intercepted one for me, but the head coach came straight at me. I let him have his say then I calmly stated she missed the tag.
"There was no tag coach." WHAT DO YOU MEAN NO TAG. Coach she didnot tag her, I was in perfect position to see. WELL WHY DON"T YOU ASK FOR HELP. Coach I saw the ply and I'm 100% positive that there was no tag.
This went on for a few minutes so I finally had to tell that enough etc.
So off he struts back to his 3rd base dugout and somehow I knew it was not over. And of course the crowd is just going bonkers.
Well next half inning guess who is coaching 3rd, and up till then he stuck to the bench. Just as the pitcher was finish her warm ups and we break from our holding positions I start hearing this low mumble about calls, asking for help, judgement. all low so I ignore it. Well as the inning went on, it got louder and he ejected himself. I just directed which gate he should use. Of course I heard it from the crowd the remainder of the game, we even had to have minor assistance to get to the golf cart that was driving us back & forth from the dressing room to the diamonds.
And you're right, F6 never said a word.
Old Fri Sep 26, 2008, 03:03pm
Official Forum Member

Location: The Land Of The Free and The Home Of The Brave (MD/DE)
What you see is what you call, especially not guessing an out.

As Mike said, we are there for the non-obvious. If it's tough or what no one expects, SELL it harder and be more patient with the coach (within limits of course).
I have to live with myself, not the jerk in the stands, not the coach who is 100 feet away with a bad angle, not even the runner who is called out or the fielder who didn't get an out.