The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Softball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Thu Sep 25, 2008, 05:47pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by DNTXUM P View Post
depends on who you are working with. If it is any of the boys from Lafayette, then yes they do a lot of rimming after the game, especially if my buddy JM is around
I truely hope (and believe) you have only "hear saying" experinced this? Didn't actually see, nor actively joined in?

Ik ben niet gek, doe alleen alsof! Gaat me goed af toch?
Old Thu Sep 25, 2008, 06:58pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dutch Alex View Post
I truely hope (and believe) you have only "hear saying" experinced this? Didn't actually see, nor actively joined in?

as compared to inactively joining in?
Old Thu Sep 25, 2008, 07:00pm
Official Forum Member

Ack... game got cancelled... something about one school not being NCAA "compliant" ....dangit
Old Thu Sep 25, 2008, 07:11pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by CajunNewBlue View Post
as compared to inactively joining in?
I can't imagine what action that would be.
Don't forget, english is my second foreign langue AND i'm working the nightshift right now. I'm not that clear as I wished I should be. But I think I've got the message...

Hopefully tonight (at 20:30h) I'm well awake. Working as U3 in the first semi-final dutch national championship ladies competition..

Ik ben niet gek, doe alleen alsof! Gaat me goed af toch?
Old Thu Sep 25, 2008, 07:23pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by CajunNewBlue View Post
Ack... game got cancelled... something about one school not being NCAA "compliant" ....dangit
Well saves you all the saddle sores, what with Wayne and Tori.

J/K, both good officials at all levels.
Sail away from the safe harbor. Catch the trade winds in your sails.
Explore. Dream. Discover."
--Mark Twain.
Old Thu Sep 25, 2008, 07:49pm
Official Forum Member

My first college tourney is next weekend!

Because of my work schedule I cannot work NCAA ball, so this should be fun. I got the invite from my gold work. A fall ball NCAA tourney!

I'll be working this one at Arnaiz
http://pacifictigers.cstv.com/sports...091008aab.html

and rotating to a concurrent gold tourney.

Should be great!

Cal bears and other good d1 teams there. I'm stoked!
Old Thu Sep 25, 2008, 08:25pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Just know from going to Lafayette and working the UL Mardi Gras tournament every Feb. Those boys in Lafayette follow JM around like ducklings following their mother duck.

Sander, your English is much better than my Dutch - as you well know. How is the family?

Larry
Old Thu Sep 25, 2008, 10:06pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by IRISHMAFIA View Post
I've seen some "college" umpires that aren't worth a $hit, period. I've seen HS umpires that are even worse. I've also seen HS umpires that could do great at the collegiate level. I've seen ASA umpires that could do great at both the HS & NCAA level.
No doubt that you have. But are you saying that the average ASA official's ability, experience, and level of commitment to umpiring is the same as the average college official?

Quote:
Like in baseball, the fact that someone has attained a certain level does not make them the best/more experience or higher than the next guy/gal.
No, but it's a pretty good clue that they are.

Quote:
And there is one thing that some do not realize. ASA considers the rule book part of the package teams and umpires get for their registration.
$50.00 is kinda steep for a rule book.

Quote:
The NCAA does not have an umpire's association and I doubt they register the coach/team as an independent entity. They are a conglomerate of educational institutions banded together for the benefit and coordination of athletic programs.
And not having an association is a bad thing?
Old Thu Sep 25, 2008, 10:56pm
Official Forum Member

College umpires come mostly from ASA. Sometimes they are the cream of the crop, sometimes they are not. I've worked with good ones and I can think of two absolutely horrible NCAA umps right off the top of my head.

College umps typically are more dedicated and better trained that an average umpire, but not always.
The college umpires system is not limited by a policy of catering to a low common denominator of ump (as ASA does) which makes for a overall better umpiring program.

In the past two years they have really thought outside the box and I think it shows. ASA is still boxed by old school umpire leadership. It wasnt too long ago NCAA umpires were the robots..they've moved on and left us watching.

But one cannot doubt that ASA is at the core of the NCAA program, that is where umpiring at any appreciable level starts. Any umpire who states otherwise is in never never land.

Some downsides are:

College is limited by who can participate just based on lifes reasons.

College Umps around here are organizing really well under the leadership of moz..but NCAA umping still requires a lot of *** kissing of coaches. I'm sure its worse where there is entirely no organization. Coaches, not umpires, truely decide your fate. That is why an organization would be nice.
Old Fri Sep 26, 2008, 12:35am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
I agree with Steve's assessment of the mechanic. However, I do not agree with this comment:

I've seen some "college" umpires that aren't worth a $hit, period. OPINION I've seen HS umpires that are even worse. OPINION I've also seen HS umpires that could do great at the collegiate level.OPINION I've seen ASA umpires that could do great at both the HS & NCAA level.OPINION However...there are many ASA that aren't worth a $hit!!! OPINIONThat you didn't offer??

Like in baseball, the fact that someone has attained a certain level does not make them the best/more experience or higher than the next guy/gal. It simply means they are the best/more experienced available. Alot of "the best/more experienced available "umpires are not working on the spring weekends?

And there is one thing that some do not realize. ASA considers the rule book part of the package teams and umpires get for their registration. Ummm...yeh!! And you think it is a bargain? So does Amway!!

The NCAA does not have an umpire's association and I doubt they register the coach/team as an independent entity. They are a conglomerate of educational institutions banded together for the benefit and coordination of athletic programs. Kinda like companies (IBM, General Motors, Microsoft...etc... hiring the best available person to do the job they require?

Yes, other organizations offer their rules on line and they have every right to do so. I would think it all depends on each organization's philosophy and priority. And that is each organization's right and privilege.
Your right. AmWay or any other pyramid scheme can do the same?? Those at the top get a percentage of the company fees, from there it trickles down...to those who...who generate some type of registration...whether it be team..insurance...umpire...uniform..etc..?? Thats why a $3.00 rule book cost $50-$65.00?

Nothing inherently wrong with it...but lets be forthright in acknowledging it??

Last edited by socalumps; Fri Sep 26, 2008 at 12:53am.
Old Fri Sep 26, 2008, 03:39am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Working as U3 in the first semi-final dutch national championship ladies competition..
congrats, Sander.
Old Fri Sep 26, 2008, 07:32am
Official Forum Member

It is obvious most of you have no idea what the actual registration rate for an ASA umpireis, even though it is clearly noted in the code.

And I'm not going to tell you. Look it up.
Old Fri Sep 26, 2008, 07:33am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by whiskers_ump View Post
Well saves you all the saddle sores, what with Wayne and Tori.

J/K, both good officials at all levels.

yeah.. I wont get to practice my rimming with them.... ohhh well maybe next time.
Old Fri Sep 26, 2008, 07:43am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by wadeintothem View Post
College umpires come mostly from ASA.
ummm, maybe because ASA is the "largest league" and has the largest pool of umpires to pull from?
Old Fri Sep 26, 2008, 07:45am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
It is obvious most of you have no idea what the actual registration rate for an ASA umpireis, even though it is clearly noted in the code.

And I'm not going to tell you. Look it up.
Well I paid $50 to get my ASA card and the guys in texas have to pay $75 for theirs.
So, yes I agree with you I have no idea what the rate is.