The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Softball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Sun Sep 21, 2008, 03:56pm
Official Forum Member

Lineup Question

I was thinking about this the other day while I was reading the rule book before a game regarding batting out of order. This is all in theroy and would probably never work but if everthing did work out, is it the correct procedure?

Lead off batter is 3-3 in the game with 3 linedrives all over the field.

Bottom of the 7th, no outs, runner on first. Game tied 3-3

Team a is suppose to have b7 up, but with the coach knowing about b1 crushing the ball in the game, he sends up b9 and no one notices until the girl gets a single. As she gets a single someone finally notices the error and notifies the umpire. Now b9 is out (1 out) and r1 returns to first but since she batted out of order b7 and b8 lost their turn to bat and now b1 would be up. b1 comes up to bat with 1 out, first pitch the girl steals and is now on 2nd, 2nd pitch line drive to the right field fence , ball game is over when the runner on 2nd scores.

Is this correct?
Old Sun Sep 21, 2008, 04:30pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via ICQ to shipwreck
Nope, not correct. B7 would be out on appeal. B8 would be up to bat now. The batter that failed to bat is the one ruled out. Better reread the rulebook. Dave
Old Sun Sep 21, 2008, 05:04pm
Official Forum Member

Well, coaches will try the darndest things, won't they?
Dave is right, B7 out, B8 is now up.
Old Sun Sep 21, 2008, 05:05pm
Official Forum Member

Ok sorry was thinking about a different play, what was meant to be said was that NO ONE detects the error in the batting order, now b1 would be up, is that correct?
Old Sun Sep 21, 2008, 05:54pm
Official Forum Member

In this case, B9's AB is legalized with a pitch to B1 and B1 is now the proper batter (because B1 is the batter who follows B9 in the batting order). Now you have it right.
Old Sun Sep 21, 2008, 08:44pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by SethPDX View Post
In this case, B9's AB is legalized with a pitch to B1 and B1 is now the proper batter (because B1 is the batter who follows B9 in the batting order). Now you have it right.
Alternatively, B1's about is legalized with a pitch to B8. So in your scenario if they send B8 up to bat and B8 takes a pitch then B1 can legally come up to bat.
________
LIVE SEX

Last edited by youngump; Mon Sep 19, 2011 at 06:25pm.
Old Sun Sep 21, 2008, 10:44pm
Official Forum Member

I had one were we discovered B7 & 8 being skipped and B9 batting and I still correctly made B1 bat next.

The offending team discovered the error between innings, making B9's at bat legal, so B1 is up. He was so pissed, B7 & 8 had not batted all game and did not get a chance to.
Old Sun Sep 21, 2008, 10:58pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by SethPDX View Post
I must've missed where the OP stated that there was a pitch delivered to B1 before the defense appealed.

B9 batted out of order. B8 should have been up. However, if B1 stepped up in place of B8, you now have a second instance of BOO, appealable by the defense.

Never should have happened, though.

I haven't decided if I should call it from the dugout or the outfield. Apparently, both have really great views!

Screw green, it ain't easy being blue!

I won't be coming here that much anymore. I might check in now and again.
Old Mon Sep 22, 2008, 07:14am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by NCASAUmp View Post

B9 batted out of order. B8 should have been up. However, if B1 stepped up in place of B8, you now have a second instance of BOO, appealable by the defense.
No. If B9 completed their turn at bat in the correct order or not, and it was not appealed, B1 IS the proper batter and there is nothing to appeal. It is not possible to have more than one BOO at a time.
Old Mon Sep 22, 2008, 08:02am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by IRISHMAFIA View Post
No. If B9 completed their turn at bat in the correct order or not, and it was not appealed, B1 IS the proper batter and there is nothing to appeal. It is not possible to have more than one BOO at a time.
Mike, the OP indicated that the offended team notified the umpire before the first pitch to B1. That being said, B7 is out, B9 is removed from the base, R1 returns to 1B, and B8 should be the next batter. If B1 steps up to the plate after all of this, you now have a second instance of BOO, and the defense may appeal it.

I haven't decided if I should call it from the dugout or the outfield. Apparently, both have really great views!

Old Mon Sep 22, 2008, 11:41am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Mike, the OP indicated that the offended team notified the umpire before the first pitch to B1. That being said, B7 is out, B9 is removed from the base, R1 returns to 1B, and B8 should be the next batter. If B1 steps up to the plate after all of this, you now have a second instance of BOO, and the defense may appeal it.
So I've never had an appeal for BOO, yet.

In this situation do you help out... that is, I get a BOO protest from the defense. Now I grab my lineup and look at the book. Yep, we're out of order.
Now do I
a) Simply call B7 out. Tell B9 to head to the dugout and say play ball.
b) Call B7 out. Tell B9 to head to the dugout and tell the coach, B7 was your last batter.
c) Do something else?

What if the coach specifically asks me who should bat next? What if it's the defense who asks?
________
Ivyleague cam

Last edited by youngump; Mon Sep 19, 2011 at 06:25pm.
Old Mon Sep 22, 2008, 11:58am
Official Forum Member

I generally find that with BOO you are doing so much explaining of the call that by the end, you've pretty much answered all of these questions anyway. It is rare for any of the dugout experts (coaches, scorekeeper) to know when it is most advantageous to appeal the BOO, to know who is out, etc., etc., that trying to avoid coaching the coaches is pretty hopeless. But, that is for our usual girls fastpitch leagues.
Old Mon Sep 22, 2008, 12:14pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by youngump View Post
So I've never had an appeal for BOO, yet.

In this situation do you help out... that is, I get a BOO protest from the defense. Now I grab my lineup and look at the book. Yep, we're out of order.
Now do I
a) Simply call B7 out. Tell B9 to head to the dugout and say play ball.
b) Call B7 out. Tell B9 to head to the dugout and tell the coach, B7 was your last batter.
c) Do something else?

What if the coach specifically asks me who should bat next? What if it's the defense who asks?
I simply tell them, "#34 (B7) is out for batting out of order, #56 (B9) comes off the bases, and runners return. The next batter is the one who follows #34." I guarantee you both coaches will have their lineup cards, and both coaches will know who's supposed to be up next. If the OC tries to pull it again, we'll now have 2 outs.

Dakota's right. The likelihood of BOO happening immediately after this is unlikely.

Old Mon Sep 22, 2008, 01:53pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Yes, but the OP isn't what you cited. This is why I hate it when folks add their own little twist to someone else's thread.
Old Mon Sep 22, 2008, 02:07pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by IRISHMAFIA View Post
Yes, but the OP isn't what you cited. This is why I hate it when folks add their own little twist to someone else's thread.
Yeah, I just read the threads a little closer and discovered the twist. In that case, yes, if the pitcher pitches to B1, B9's at bat is now legal, and B1 is now the next correct batter.

You had me worried that you were slipping up on simple ones, Mike!